Stall Speeds

kkritsilas

Reaction score
with no changes at all, Bruce would have had a far better response at take off with the new 3.21:1 gears vs. the old 2.2:1, even with the 318 the car came with. Now add in a 360 with bolt-ons and the increased displacement and higher torque )even factory stock), and it will only get better. I don't think that a new higher stall coverter is needed, if the old one in is good shape. He has already taken care of the 360 balance issues with the B&M flex plate. I know this isn't what he asked about, but I would go with the standard converter (again, assuming it is in good shape). This quite honestly, seems fine for street car/cruiser. He may at some point want a harder launch, or even decide to increase the 360's power, in which case this should be reviewed; but at this point, with his stated goals, I don't see much benefit to a higher stall convertor.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I don't think a stock convertor will flash to 1900, but I've been wrong before.....at least that's what my wife said.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Your wife knows about torque converters? ;)
--- Post updated ---
Hi Guys,

I have found here when people talk about cars, how strong things are, that in the USA its all referenced to drag racing, probably the hardest punishment you can give your drive chain. I will be using my car as an everyday driver, if it is a 1/10th of a second slower because I have the converter stalling at 200rpm than max I am not to concerned. I just want to make sure my combo will work, there are some real good experienced people on here with amazing advice who have been there done that. I am a family man with young children, I don't have a lot of time to be pulling transmissions and engines in and out, I sort of got to get it pretty much right or as close as I can with what I have first time if that makes sense. The trans that came with the 360 I have is an unknown, its a 904, its got a weighted 904 converter for a 360, its an early 1972 trans, guy I bought it off in the USA says he thought the trans had a small stall, he had the engine/trans in a 1972 Charger, it was running 3.55 gears. He said the engine pulled real good, he also said he street raced a few late model mustangs and beat them, he said I will be very impressed with the performance of the 360, he removed the engine to fit a 440. I have talked to him quite a few times, seems a genuine guy, in his 50's and everything he has said has been true so far with the engine.

Thanks
Bruce

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I think you will be happy with the results. The difference from my original 318, to a mild 360 was huge.

Back