Subframe swap help please

Chassis, Suspension and wheels

1. MICRO

MICRO Member

I have a 1988 plymouth caravelle 318 car and a 1985 Chrysler 5th ave 318. Can the subframe from 5th ave direct bolt onto the caravelle without any major issues due to year difference and trim packages? Im building this car for my young fella and want to have him help.any info would be awesome. Thanks guys and sorry for posting this in the website help page first haha

20200523_184758.jpg

2. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

As long as both cars are V-8, direct bolt in. Any subframe from '76-'89 will interchange between any F, M or J body. Only thing different is a S6 has different engine mount brackets than a V-8. With Shumacher engine swap mounts you can bolt a V-8 onto a S6 subframe (just an FYI)

MICRO likes this.
  3. MICRO

MICRO Member

Man your a lifesaver. Thank you for helping put another Plymouth back on the road.

4. LSM360

LSM360 Well-Known Member

Yep, he's correct. I put a subframe from '88 Gran Fury AHB into '80 Aspen A38 and it was direct bolt in. GF was 318 and Aspen 360.

5. MICRO

MICRO Member

Im going to start the swap this Thursday/friday. Hopefully all goes smooth. Ill keep you guys updated. Thanks again for the help. Let me know of any tips to make it easier haha

6. Aspen500

Let's hope rust isn't an issue with the mounting bolts!
    If you're not aware of it, you will need to unbolt the upper control arm brackets from the subframe to clear the frame rails. Either remove the nuts on the T-bolts for the control arm shafts or disconnect the upper ball joints to access the bracket bolts.

7. MiradaMegacab

MiradaMegacab Well-Known Member

Drill a 3/16” hole thru the frame rail at each one of the 4 K Frame attaching bolts. Spray RustBuster twice a day for a week in there to soak the bolts threads and to avoid having the “captured nut” strip and spin inside the frame rail...

8. Aspen500

Good advice Mega. There's few things more frustrating than having a weld nut break loose inside a frame rail or something similar. Have had it happen WAY too many times at work with front subframe bolts when I'm lowering the powertrain out for repair. Bolt comes part way out and then,,,,,,,,,,,,spins. Next words out of my mouth are "oh darn" lol.

MiradaMegacab likes this.