SUPER RARE-One of One 1980 Lebaron-Winterpeg

4speedjim

Reaction score
Right, rare doesn't always equal desirable or valuable. Many "rare" things in the world are "rare" because it was undesirable, unappealing or a bad perceived value. Mass desirability and short supply is what drives the prices up. But being able to say "I have..." carries a certain value, no matter how or what you end it with.
If you look around, you can buy any one of a handful of rust free running driving and complete F M or J's under $2,000. I paid half that for mine. Fortunately our generation of cars isn't very desirable and that keeps them affordable.

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
My 79 green wonder is really a $352, one doctor owning , Texas car with a set of $125 wheels and a $1200 paint that is now 20 yrs old.
It's appraised at $9600 and that's a old appraisal.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I guess it depends on your definition of "rare". On the street, any of the F,M,or J's could be considered rare. When is the last time you casually saw one besides your own? Low production models are always interesting, but IMO so are the mass produced disposable models that used to be everywhere, and now are gone.
I don't know if OY is what I would call "rare". It's a base, fairly plain Jane '78 Aspen wagon that happens to have a four speed and factory CB and is a one year only color (Classic Cream). It's unusual these days I'm sure, but "rare", I don't know. I think the most rare thing about it is its unusual history in that it was a rarely used one owner desert car that spend most of it's life sitting, so low mileage and no rust.
$(KGrHqJHJDgE7zIJHRzQBPEwLc7fIQ~~60_3 - Copy - Copy.jpg

I have wondered sometimes if I shouldn't mess with it too much because it is so original, but then everything I have done, or plan to do could be reversed, unless I wind up painting it. The paint is OK, but thin in some places and it has slight hail damage dings and a small dent or two. I have a really nice set of plaid 60/40 seats and door panels to install sometime in the next 30 years or so :rolleyes:, because the original bench is torn and just darn uncomfortable. I put in power steering, but kept the old manual box. New Hurst shifter, but kept the original. Replaced dog dishes with Road Wheels, but still have them. I think that it is more fun to make the car what I want than to sort of keep it as an "unmolested barn find."
June 14, 2015 014.jpg

Then, there is the issue of money. I don't think much about how much OY is worth. I know I have more money in it than I could ever get back out already. But, that really doesn't matter to me much. I consider it a "toy". I don't need it, I want it. It is not an investment - if it were, it would be a lousy one. It is no different than spending money to go on a vacation. It's just for fun. :D

Back