Suspension/steering project

77rod

Reaction score
Hey guys. Looking for some brand suggestions/websites to get a front end rebuild kit and a set of shocks for my 77 aspen? Just finished a mild built 383 big block 727 swap on my aspen and I’m now focusing On the suspension aspect of my car Any thoughts? thanks in advance

0A824579-AB40-4448-A15A-B5224B08EB30.jpeg

Camtron

Reaction score
Firm Feel is great, prices are high but, you do get what you pay for in quality. Their WR300 torsion bars and tubular upper control arms would make a great addition. Up grading to a new power steering box would be pretty smashing as well if you haven’t already.
Gorgeous car by the way.
FMJ Body Parts
I’d say, Steer clear of, KYB gas A just shocks. A number of us have used them and have all found them to be too stiff; expansion cracks in the roads make the whole car hop and buck and you feel everything.
ISO bushing deletes on the rear leaf springs and solid k frame isolation bushings are also a very popular handling upgrade to get rid of a lot of pitch and roll and really tie the k-frame and unibody together.

77rod

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the great input and compliment on the car I’ve had it since I was 14 and just kept working on through high school and kept keeping the improvements coming! Firm feel sounds like the site for me then, do they offer the steering box upgrade? I think the control arms and torsion bar upgrade would really benefit me as well. I noticed you practically can moving the steering wheel with your small finger lol Typical old car steering so I would probably benefit from the steering box upgrade! Should I get the shocks from firm feel too or what do you guys run in your cars for shocks? Thanks again in advance

Aspen500

Reaction score
I've got the Firm Feel Stage 2 box in my Aspen and it was worth every dollar. It's what they recommended for my car and intended use.

Had the KYB Gas Adjust shocks and as mentioned, WAY to stiff. It didn't ride like a lumber wagon, those ride smoother, lol. Switched to Monroe OE Spectrum front and rear and am happy with them. Added bonus, they're black so you don't have to paint them.

Don't recall where I got all the front end parts. Some were NAPA, some PST, etc. Got a new left t-bar from Chrysler when they were still available, the right side end link was NAPA and the pivot bushing was an NOS service kit (bushing, saddle, top plate, friction plate and bolts). It lasted about one year and now there's a Firm Feel urethane one on that side.
Pretty sure all the sway bar pieces were NAPA, end links, pivot bushings and pivot bracket insulators. Some of the stuff is N/A from NAPA now. This was back in the mid 2000's.

Used poly k-frame mount insulators from Spring 'n Things. Stiff enough to keep the subframe from moving around but just enough give to insulate from road shock and noise.

Duke5A

Reaction score
I absolutely love that car. Need more photos!

I've got most of Firm Feels catalog installed in my car if you have questions. The 300# torsion bars will completely transform that car and aid in handling the additional weigh of a big block on the nose. For steering I went a different route than FF though. Rather than use the fast ratio pitman and idler arms with their box, I used factory arms with a Borgeson steering box. It's a quicker ratio right in the box and is physically smaller and lighter than the factory box. Got mine from Bergman Autocraft and used his column adapter to install it.

Borgeson Steering Box Conversion Kit - Large Sector - Bergman Auto Craft

A set of police front and rear sway bars, frame ties and good shocks and you're golden.

Last edited:

M_Body_Coupe

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that FirmFeel hasn't been able to ship the T-bars for some months now...I am in queue for a set, email Matt every couple of months, but as of mid-Nov they still didn't have anything ready to ship.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have one FFI stage 2 steering gear from FFI – ready to bolt in (been ready to do it for, um, 5 years now – whenever I get around to doing it, that is). Sense that gear has been obtained, I’m really liking the Borgeson steering gears. They are smaller, turn faster, and tighter. On top of that, they are also more expensive.
They are from Jeep Grand Cherokee’s and are a better built gear to begin with. What Borgeson does is cut the mounting gears off and re-weld on mounting gears onto the gear in a position that will fit our cars. They also machine down and re-spline the input and output shafts, as well.

The only thing different about using the Borgeson gear is I would retain the original steering plunge joint – which should make the steering column bearings last longer. There is another company who makes the outer steering plunge socket/sleeve that will adapt the Borgeson gear to our cars – but don’t remember by who. I can find out if interested.

I would like to see a few underhood pictures of your big block install, whenever you get around to it, please.
BudW

Back