Texas wagon

barbee6043

Reaction score
Just had to post a few pics of the 77 wagon I hauled home last weekend! 318, col. AT, ps, pb, cruise, roof spoiler, 2 fender tags.....Original title, been stored a longtime, last time on road was 92!! Couple rusty spots, needs LOVE..NO it does not run and you can't fly in and drive it home!!! ha

100_2429.JPG

100_2432.JPG

100_2437.JPG

100_2445.JPG

100_2435.JPG

100_2466.JPG

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Cool!! ;) Really nice looking wagon that doesn't look like it needs much work. Nice grill! How's the interior? Plaid by any chance?

barbee6043

Reaction score
Cool!! ;) Really nice looking wagon that doesn't look like it needs much work. Nice grill! How's the interior? Plaid by any chance?
Brown- ish vinyl. Drivers side got rips rest is good. I have an idsue getting a couple of the doors open, someone killed a door latch, havn't had time ti work on that!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
The door panels can be removed with door closed – but it is a pain (the newer cars are many more times the pain to open if door is stuck closed).

If you have one working door, try to open door(s) from inside, first. Sometimes pushing on door with handle pulled does the trick most of the time. Changing from front to rear seats can be an issue if you sport a beer belly like myself – but it can be done.

Once open, remove the inner door latches. Once removed clean the hardened grease off with a paint scraper and carburetor cleaner – thoroughly. Once done, use a liberal amount of wheel bearing grease where you can and spray lube where you can’t reach and work the latch my hand a few times and it should be good to go for a few more decades.

The door latch grease used in that time frame gets hard (harder than a rock?) and makes latch operation a pain. I have a similar problem with my ’86 Fifth Ave. The doors open fine but the power door lock aspect of door latches – not so much. The door lock actuator is powerful enough to lock the doors but won’t unlock without trying several times. I need to do the same thing (described above) to it, but what I’ve done sense then is just not lock the car doors (not advisable in some areas).

Once the latches get cleaned and re-greased, they will work like new again.
Until then, be careful about pulling hard on the outer door handles!

Is the rust you have on the front fenders, only?

Looks like a nice find. Other than the woodgrain aspect, I’m almost jealous.
BudW

barbee6043

Reaction score
The right side ONLY of car had rust at lower front fender, and lower rear qtr. I just fab my own patch panels. It sat under a shed for decades, and the right side got water off and on. You know how F bodies can rut anyway!!!!
I got the other three doors open, but that right front, someone actually broke the outside door handle, and mangled the sheetmeatl around the handle. Bummer. I have tried to open it, so I will have to take off door panel one way or another.
Someone stored a pretty big bag of pecans in there once, funny how they were eaten but very little mouse poop in the car! Must be a 5 gal. bucket full!

Oldiron440

Reaction score
5 gal of mouse poop? That stuff will make you very sick if the dust gets in your lungs!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Someone stored a pretty big bag of pecans in there once, funny how they were eaten but very little mouse poop in the car!
I think he said there was 5 gal of nuts, not other . . .

The good news is the wagon front door is the same as F-body & M-body front doors – but the upper side trim (& woodgrain) is slightly different. Any body shop can get the trim pegs in place. The woodgrain might be a challenge to replace/re-create.

If nothing else, a person could cut out a door handle section from another car and weld it in place, leaving woodgrain alone.

You might need to plan on carpet replacement – just to make sure all mold (and other stuff?) gets removed.
BudW

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Is it me, or does that engine look like it is sitting sideways under hood? How is the K Frame?

barbee6043

Reaction score
Is it me, or does that engine look like it is sitting sideways under hood? How is the K Frame?
Just the angle!!! Good frames. I have a good 318 I can drop in. I will do the repair on those 2 rusty places, it will get hot here pretty quick, so it might be fall before I get much done. I have my 62 Lancer , aka RoadToad took apart I got to finish
I have cleaned enough mouse poop out of old Mopars since '85, to fertilize a 100 ac. corn field!! That what I was saying, I was amazed not much rodent poop in it at all especially with all the pecans used for snack!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I'll be really interested to see the progress on your Volare wagon! I love these cars. Here are a few pics of another one like yours that was for sale a while back on EB. There isn't a bad angle to be seen on these beautiful wagons from any direction! Gotta love that perfectly designed front end! This particular wagon had only 19K miles on it.

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

barbee6043

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, yes I agree they are beautiful wagons. WOW! I wan that guys steering wheel too!!!!

old yellow 78

Reaction score
Here's another '77 wagon like yours from my stash of F body pics. This one has the wire wheel covers on it. I suppose it was on EB a while back. Don't remember more about it. Your's is a close match to both of these. Gonna be beautiful when you are done. That color is fantastic with the woody sides. I think it was called "Sunfire Metalic"? I like the wire wheel covers on this too, but they would be a pain to keep clean.

IMG_1226_zps2uaipipg.jpg

IMG_1190_zpsusdkuiaj.jpg

IMG_1183_zps7iqkqg54.jpg

IMG_1180_zps9mzl40wk.jpg

IMG_1192_zpspjfqfgwr.jpg

IMG_1227_zpsawt82vlz.jpg

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Cleaning wire wheel covers isn't tough, there's spray for that and replacing woodgrain at one time you could get generic lite or dark roles to do compleat. They didn't match OEM exactly but were close and looked very nice.

barbee6043

Reaction score
I have seen people in big resto shops ( Motor trend channel) do the wood grain with a brush, turned out nice if you can believe. I will look into the roles of wood grain though! I am missing just one of the wire wheel covers. I do have asset of the Mirade 10 spokes that I can polish and look great too.
It did not come with a trunk key, and I can not make myself want to try to get that inside panel off to get to the latch. And don't want to damage that panel. I wonder if I can drill out the enter of the trunk lock and get to the latch?? Is the thing like a trunk lock on a car??

Oldiron440

Reaction score
In the early eighties I had to repair so of the custom painted conversion vans that would have wood grain panels painted on them. After a call or two I found out there is a ribbed squeegee for pulling a woodgrain patterns. It worked very well.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I always liked that chrome strip that ran the center length of the hood on several of the 70's Chrysler products like the Volare', Cordoba, and I think on the New Yorker?

barbee6043

Reaction score
I always liked that chrome strip that ran the center length of the hood on several of the 70's Chrysler products like the Volare', Cordoba, and I think on the New Yorker?
This wagon is also a premier. I also have a 79 volare Special Edition that has that hood piece. I admit I prefer my old cars as plain as possible though.
Still trying to decide whether to keep this wagon for a project, as that was my intention when I got it. I welded in the 2 patch panels it needed, and epoxy primed them , and will do some filler work and call it good for now. We have to build a shop ( shed) for the cars. Wife thinks I should find it a loving home, and the hunter/gatherer in me says just park it for awhile!!! I did change out that 99% perfect grill to the 77 Runner though!

Back