The FMJ Music Channel

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
Then you havent listened to enough rap to know then ,,,cause lotsa rap has all that in it ,,and it aint rain dropping ,,but anyways were all allowed to think and belive what we want ,i chose to belive it is ,,blondie,,rapture. Is that music? Have a listen ,cause its claimed to be one of the first rap songs ,,lol and its music by all your definitions as it has harmony and melody ,,please have a listen and have a good evening :) point proven lol lol

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Then you havent listened to enough rap to know then ,,,cause lotsa rap has all that in it ,,and it aint rain dropping ,,but anyways were all allowed to think and belive what we want ,i chose to belive it is ,,blondie,,rapture. Is that music? Have a listen ,cause its claimed to be one of the first rap songs ,,lol and its music by all your definitions as it has harmony and melody ,,please have a listen and have a good evening :) point proven lol lol

Well now you elongated the debate by claiming you've proved yourself right.....

Yes....it is claimed that Rapture by Blondie was possibly the first rap song.....but it was a rap within a song. Point being there was a song. Rap I hear now is done by a pile of very stoned, coked out computer geeks and wannabe gangstas pumping out (term used loosely) album after album of the same verbal diarrhea flapping about how badass he is and how much money he's got and how many ho's he's banged and blah blah blah.
All done over a four minute loop of aural pablum...... THIS is NOT music.

This is primordial kindergarten level nonsense flapped out by an idiot who's more concerned with how much of his designer underwear is showing than whether he actually had any talent or has anything intelligently relevant to contribute to an art form that really was once....art.
Now between the homely's and the sugar ho's....all I see is the imminent death of music as I once knew it.

Your case is flawed my friend.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I didn't say all rap was't music Some of the early rap music was music, see "Rapper's Delight" by the Sugar Hill Gang, "Rapture" by Blondie (as you mentioned), and things like "Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio. Note that there are real notes being played in the background, unlike what you posted (and real singing, too, what a concept, somebody who can actually carry a tune in a rap song!!!). I think that rap started to lose its "musicality" as it were, with things like "Wild Thing" and "Funky Cold Medina" by Tone Loc, where the rhythm starts to really overshadow the melody and harmony. It stopped being music shortly thereafter. And its been going downhill ever since. If you want to hear rap that actually is music, and carries a real message, listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCZ1YteCv5M

and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdZT2FQJnpg

(imagine that, acoustic guitars, real lyrics that people can relate to, and a white guy that can rap. The first song does have swear words in it, but it appropriate in this case. Of course, the album went nowhere, relatively speaking, in the rap world. Made Top 10 on the rock charts, though)

I think I have made my point quite clearly, and this is degenerating into a "Yes it is" , "No it isn't" stage, so I am done arguing this. Please feel free to listen to rap all you want. Its going to go the way of N'Sync and Backstreet Boys soon, anyways, just like shred metal did, and for pretty much the same reasons: they are running out of things to shock the general public with, and they have already stopped writing (for the most part) any subject matter that anybody can relate to.

Kostas

P.S. I don't think that rap has ever been as powerful a force for change since "Gangsta's Paradise". Not only are the lyrics extemely powerful and carry a significant message in and of themselves, but put into context after seeing the movie it was written for (Dangerous Minds) it is even more powerful and carries with it a force for potential social change. Right now, all rappers can write about, for the most part, are the size of their pensies, how hard/often they are going to have sex, and their money/wealth/power.

Last edited:

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
I think we have come to a fair end to this debate :) ,some is and some aint ,,like little wayne rap ,erk that aint music to me eithere i guess it depends on the song and artist ,and would agree that 98% of rap isnt what id call music ,,i was just defending the whole thing ,,theres always some rotton apples in the basket ,just with rap theres alot more ha ha ha ,,its been fun debating guys its fun now n then to stir up the mind juices in a debate ,:) think ill go listen to some dio now :)

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I think we have come to a fair end to this debate :) ,some is and some aint ,,like little wayne rap ,erk that aint music to me eithere i guess it depends on the song and artist ,and would agree that 98% of rap isnt what id call music ,,i was just defending the whole thing ,,theres always some rotton apples in the basket ,just with rap theres alot more ha ha ha ,,its been fun debating guys its fun now n then to stir up the mind juices in a debate ,:) think ill go listen to some dio now :)

Agreed...
Dio......
Good call.
Might do the same.

slant6billy

Reaction score
My apologies to those buried in snow and can't move their rides

kkritsilas

Reaction score
country rap ,,does this have enough beat to be called music or is it garbage as well??? :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXAgv665J14
well i wouldent call it rap ,but its got rap in it or rap inspired

Rap has beat. Its the only thing it has, most of the time. That was the point of what I have written, rap has a beat, and only a beat, no harmony or melody, which is what defines something as music. Water dripping out of a faucet at a steady rate has a beat, but it isn't music. Likewise, most rap has a beat, but its not music.

Not exactly Jimmy Rogers level material that you posted.

Kostas

Last edited:

Superpac Ninja

Reaction score
rap is music imo ,and there are several variations of it as all music genera types have. just let it be,i wont be convinced other wise :),,

Last edited:
Back