The FMJ Weather Channel

NoCar340

Reaction score
Well, I came in the house for a while because it started raining. I was looking forward to it, because of the thunder, but ultimately the storm wimped out. I love a good thunderstorm, but the dog not so much... so rather than leave her in the house alone, in I came.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well, I came in the house for a while because it started raining. I was looking forward to it, because of the thunder, but ultimately the storm wimped out. I love a good thunderstorm, but the dog not so much... so rather than leave her in the house alone, in I came.

You're a good man.
Everytime a storm starts moving in my cat is under the bed.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
This was an hour from my trailer on Saturday.

Tornado-Near-Kingston-Submitted-MAY-24.jpg

Tornado-Near-Kingston-Submitted-MAY-24.jpg

NoCar340

Reaction score
Same here. I love watching the Weather Channel, except they keep putting on really-stupid shows about prospecting gemstones and, for some stupid reason, the weather on other planets. "What would happen if a Venus tornado were to strike St. Louis?" Well, nobody f__king cares because it can't happen, you dolts! :eusa_doh:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Same here. I love watching the Weather Channel, except they keep putting on really-stupid shows about prospecting gemstones and, for some stupid reason, the weather on other planets. "What would happen if a Venus tornado were to strike St. Louis?" Well, nobody f__king cares because it can't happen, you dolts! :eusa_doh:

Lol!!
I watch tornado chases all the time on YouTube.
You can find the non alien type on there.
And lightning!!
Ever since I was blown across my front porch by a bolt when I was a kid I've always had a big curiosity and respect for it....

Monkeyed

Reaction score
Lol!!
I watch tornado chases all the time on YouTube.
You can find the non alien type on there.
And lightning!!
Ever since I was blown across my front porch by a bolt when I was a kid I've always had a big curiosity and respect for it....

never got blown away by one, but had one hit a telephone pole I was about 20 feet away from. I was looking the other way, and just saw the flash of light, I looked back to ask my two friends what happened, and they were already three houses down, and not looking back! :dontknow: so I turned and ran home

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
never got blown away by one, but had one hit a telephone pole I was about 20 feet away from. I was looking the other way, and just saw the flash of light, I looked back to ask my two friends what happened, and they were already three houses down, and not looking back! :dontknow: so I turned and ran home

I had horseshoes up my ass that day....
It hit right in front of me eight feet away tops.
I have no idea why it didn't arc to me....I guess something in the lawn was a better conductor but the force of it knocked me about six feet across the porch and I got knocked out.....when I came to this frantic seven year old went screaming through the house and dove under the kitchen table.
I'll never forget how it looked....huge and orange.....like the sun orange and blinding white in the middle.....truly mindblowing!
And of course the simultaneous flash and boom.
More like a massive cracking and explosion at the same time.
Always had a large respect for lightning after that.....go figure.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
I was on all fours on my skateboard, lazily pushing it through the puddles, watching the rain in them, when I just saw white everywhere, and of course the boom. sounded like about 50 M-80s going off at once. it was right across from my house, the power was off for a good 3 hours, which was unusual, I think my mom even had to call and tell them what got hit to make it easier for them, after my friends told me what it was.

for years I used to just sit at my window when a storm would roll in, and just soak up the thunder, and think about just how much power was in those far off flashes of light.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I was on all fours on my skateboard, lazily pushing it through the puddles, watching the rain in them, when I just saw white everywhere, and of course the boom. sounded like about 50 M-80s going off at once. it was right across from my house, the power was off for a good 3 hours, which was unusual, I think my mom even had to call and tell them what got hit to make it easier for them, after my friends told me what it was.

for years I used to just sit at my window when a storm would roll in, and just soak up the thunder, and think about just how much power was in those far off flashes of light.

Storms fascinate the hell out of me.
The ultimate in power.

NoCar340

Reaction score
I had a bolt hit across the street from my house in a vacant lot. I saw it hit and couldn't believe how blinding it was. I thought my house was going to implode; it almost broke the windows they shook so hard. What's strange is there are trees, buildings, houses, etc. much taller than the level of that field and within 50 yards of the strike spot, but it hit the ground instead.

Needed a 12,000lb. winch and a crowbar to get the dog out of her kennel after that one. She sat in the back corner with her head down for about an hour, shaking like a leaf.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Animals are the best barometer going.
I've seen what looks like an end of the world storm roll in and the cat doesn't flinch and the storm passes right over us without a drop. Then another day.....nothing going on and the cat is under the bed.....half hour later the sky opens up like it's Armageddon.....
I always know we've got a big one coming at the trailer when the birds go quiet.

72Dodge

Reaction score
Earlier this spring, I was working in the garage, standing up on a ladder in the corner of the garage farthest from all the doors, behind the row of engines and a bunch of other junk. It was raining out, but I wasn't thinking much of it. My truck and my wife's car were in the driveway right outside the garage door. Suddenly, both of the cars outside exploded! At least, that's what I immediately thought had happened. The noise was sudden, deafening, and VERY close by. It usually takes me about a minute to get from where I was to the door that leads into the kitchen, but in this case, I made the trip in about 2 seconds. My wife was already at the door, thinking I had blown something up, probably including myself. I think at the exact same time we realized what it had been. I never figured out where it had hit, I didn't see any damage anywhere, but holy cow. I stayed inside for the rest of the storm, and worked on cleaning out my shorts.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Always freaks you out when one let's go out of nowhere.....
I was at the trailer standing under the awning with my wife and our trailer neighbors during a storm.....didn't seem that bad just lots of rain and some off in the distance rumbling but it was getting closer.
Because of my previous encounters with lightning, at one point I said "maybe we should move into the trailer". It was getting very close....you could tell....then out of nowhere this massive bolt rips across what seemed like right over our heads accompanied by the simultaneous nuclear explosion.
We quickly scurried inside.....I think we all discreetly checked ourselves to make sure we didn't need to change our shorts....
Scared the crap (almost literally) out of all of us....

NoCar340

Reaction score
You are at far-greater risk of a lightning strike at the leading edge of an incoming storm than you are underneath the center of a real barn-burner thunderhead. Most people that get hit by lightning haven't even gotten wet from the rain yet. My Dad knew that and used to make us get off the lake at the first sign of an approaching storm when we were kids, usually over loud, whiny protests.

Also, there are many cases where people have been hit standing inside their houses near a window. It defies logic, but lightning's going to do its own thing I guess. I don't row out to the middle of a lake and stand up in a boat during lightning, but I don't take huge precautions against it... the way I've lived my life, I guess if I get hit by lightning it would be poetic justice (God sends a lightning bolt). :icon_biggrin:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
True....the biggest most mindblowing bolts I've ever seen were before the real storm even hit now that I think about it.....

NoCar340

Reaction score
In other news, it's shaping up to be a beautiful day in the mid-70s, and it's my day off. More garage time... :eusa_dance:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Here we had a mini two day heatwave....
But today....low 70's and the sun is coming out...
Beautiful! :icon_thumright:

Back