The Inverted Ivory Theory

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Years ago a friend and I were talking about how braindead a large percentage of the population were. He called it "The Inverted Ivory Theory". I asked him what he meant and his explanation was.

You know how in the Ivory soap ads they say it's 99 44/100ths pure. Well if you invert it you get the ratio of intelligent versus braindead people. It made total sense to me then and even more so now.

I've always wondered if people were getting more and more stupid and well yes.....but there's also far more of them because of population growth. Compound that with the fact that each consecutive generation of idiots breeds the next generation which are even more stupid because they were raised by idiots.

So......just how many intelligent people are on earth? Let's do the math using The Inverted Ivory Theory.

7.4 billion people on earth right now so......
.66/100 of that is 32,560,000.

That number actually seems high but you have to factor in common sense too. Which I hold in much higher regard than a diploma.

Just thought I'd share this with you in case any of you ever wondered if the majority of the world's population were indeed idiots.

According to the theory. Yes. They are.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Well Cap't .. I have to agree ........ my dad was a lot smarter than I, but he had to be. b/c of the time he grew up in ..... I on the other hand was raised in a more enlightened, entitled (or so I thought)era and thought myself smarter ... but at 60 yrs. of age I can now see my error of my ways. It show in my children, not that they're bad, just more entitled and enlightened than I, or so they think (like I did) ... There is a theory about society and where it's heading and the such, it's called the "4th turning" ... It's a very interesting read and explains a lot of what's going on, we don't just breed stupidity .. it's part of a cycle .. and it mimics the past .. (not repeat ) .. look it up some time when you have the time .. it's a complicated read and I have trouble putting it to words, but I agree with the jist of the theory. "May you live in an interesting time." that's a Chinese curse ............ go figure??

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well Cap't .. I have to agree ........ my dad was a lot smarter than I, but he had to be. b/c of the time he grew up in ..... I on the other hand was raised in a more enlightened, entitled (or so I thought)era and thought myself smarter ... but at 60 yrs. of age I can now see my error of my ways. It show in my children, not that they're bad, just more entitled and enlightened than I, or so they think (like I did) ... There is a theory about society and where it's heading and the such, it's called the "4th turning" ... It's a very interesting read and explains a lot of what's going on, we don't just breed stupidity .. it's part of a cycle .. and it mimics the past .. (not repeat ) .. look it up some time when you have the time .. it's a complicated read and I have trouble putting it to words, but I agree with the jist of the theory. "May you live in an interesting time." that's a Chinese curse ............ go figure??

Well I was actually referring to the 99.44%. I would place you and almost all on this forum in the .66 :D

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Well, thank you .. and right back at you, so that I'm in good company .. and this is a great forum !! Sorry about going into the deep .. I had a few before posting.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Well, if you want my two cents............You don't? Too bad, I'm giving it anyways, lol.
Like you do Captain, the thing I use to gauge smarts isn't how many degrees you have, your I.Q. score or anything else like that. I use the common sense factor. I've known people that were borderline genius but had absolutely no common sense at all. Then I've known people that were technically "stupid" but had tons of common sense. Most people I know tend to fall somewhere in between the two. Know what I'm getting at?

Justwondering

Reaction score
I agree with both of you.
Unfortunately today I am in the wrong camp.
I cannot find the keys to the Chrysler and .. AND.. I have been getting 'that look' from my significant other as I look for them. Sigh..

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well, if you want my two cents............You don't? Too bad, I'm giving it anyways, lol.
Like you do Captain, the thing I use to gauge smarts isn't how many degrees you have, your I.Q. score or anything else like that. I use the common sense factor. I've known people that were borderline genius but had absolutely no common sense at all. Then I've known people that were technically "stupid" but had tons of common sense. Most people I know tend to fall somewhere in between the two. Know what I'm getting at?

I know exactly what you're getting at.

I agree with both of you.
Unfortunately today I am in the wrong camp.
I cannot find the keys to the Chrysler and .. AND.. I have been getting 'that look' from my significant other as I look for them. Sigh..

That my lady is nothing more than a temporary lapse.

Justwondering

Reaction score
I was preoccupied with getting everything ready for the storms that moved through. We lost power for 4 hours but the tornados were 60 miles away and didn't land here. Thank goodness.

I was in every vehicle making sure the windows were up, every room making sure things were okay, checking on the backup oxygen supplies, meds, etc. all the normal stuff.

Just a brain fart.

Went to check the trunk for water today and ... no keys... dang it.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
People in general are brain dead idiots.
In one hand I get so frustrated, the other hand I'd like to hurt them bad.

I'd like to kill cell phone service for a couple days/week.
That would thin out the heard.

But the truth is EVERYONE in a power position is a FARKING LIAR.
My teachers in school, liars.
All politicians, banks, and can someone name a cop who tells the truth?

Justwondering

Reaction score
Found the keys....
Despite having looked in the car 3 times, my brother finds them in the car between the seats slid under the edge of the carpet. Hooray.

Dr. Lebaron ... what can I say.
Cell service -- although 9/11 was painful, I distinctly remember the silence for days after when they grounded all aircraft.

Glad I didn't go to your school.. sounds like it was rough.
Politicians - I agree. Banks - down here they just say no, doesn't matter what the question is.
Cop - no, but I know a State Trooper that tells the truth. Course, we are related and he knows I'd kick his butt if he lied to me. (yea, right)

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I had the liberal teachers feeding a utopia dream world, which you dare not question.

In the future we would be working 24-32 hr weeks because the robots would be doing the work, so you better be good at music or the arts because there would be all this leisure time.

Billion and Trillion are just stupid numbers and never used.
So I guess the government spending billions or distance in space doesn't exist.
Never mind the trillion dollar US debt or the 2 trillion Saudi oil company.

5+4 DOES NOT equal 9.
Use the power of the fingers to prove the 5+4 does equal 9, well that's a beating.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Banks-
1978 I got $5000.
I had some money at the time, so I bought a RRSP.
'IN THE FUTURE', is would be worth a lot of money.
Lucky I still have the $5000.

My ex manager invested heavily in GM during 60's/70's and my royalties where tied up in it.
GM-Too Big To Fail made my royalties go good bye.

Lies fed to me.

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
That always amazes me.
Lack of accountability.
I was raised that you talk the talk, you better be prepared to walk the walk.
I was not raised to be a victim, poser, or leave a mess for someone else to clean up.

Sorry about your gm royalties. I reminds me of bernie madoff.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
There was some research I ran into about 10 years back that showed there probably is a built in fail safe in the human make up to limit our potential intelligence. We all know that we only use a very small portion of our actual brain area. What is the rest of it used for? Nobody knows. What we do know is that we are not the first smart people on the planet. Let's assume there was an Atlantis, and it sank. The people were supposed to be very smart, but then they died, and society had to rebuild itself from the simple minded folks back up to the great Greek, Roman societies. Those societies died off. They all had great accomplishments. They should have been smart enough to foresee their demise, but they were not. Why not?

There was a group called the Psychic Friends Hotline. They went bankrupt two years after they set out their shingle. If they were such great psychics you would have thought they would have foreseen their own demise.

I tell that as a funny story, but it is true of all of the great societies, according to this research that I saw, and we are on the same downward path.

Concentrations of smart people get together and procreate, and make smarter people, who use more of their brains, and the society flourishes. This goes on for many generations, then the magic inborn failsafe kicks in, and the people start to become idiots who are to dumb to maintain their own creations.

Look at all of the Autistic Children in the U.S. Where are the highest concentrations of these children? The area around our great science, and technology centers. Smart parents breed, and make children who can not screw in a light bulb. We are on the way out. When will the next society arise?

Justwondering

Reaction score
Darth-Car,
But that doesn't mean its a cause and effect. Where are the highest concentrations of people in general - around the great science and technology centers. It would make sense that there would be more of all health issues if there are higher concentrations of people.

But, I do get what you are saying. I am always amazed when I go somewhere and everyone has their head down looking at their phone, texting, or whatever. Almost as if they no longer know how to interact with the real world.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Watched a new blurb about a better treatment for ADHD than drugs.
Then I realized it's the same method I train birds.

Haiti, where slave traders dumped their garbage.
And Haiti today?
Generation after generation of scholars.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Watch Demolition Man with Stallone. Funny movie. Watch it and tell me if we're not headed right there.
I thought the same thing when I first saw that movie, Captain. I'd rather be dead than live like that, seriously. Some of the things our government does or is seemingly trying to do is eerily similar to the way things are in the movie. Don't even get me started on those ridiculous self driving cars.

If people would put those stupid, annoying cell phones and other "devices" away we'd be a lot better off. I still say cell phone and especially the so called "smart phone" is the worst invention of the past 100 years. JMO though.

My theory is, there's been many civilizations on this planet that start from cavemen and advance to a point where they destroy themselves due to stupidity, loss of common sense, the gene pool gets so small that it amounts to inbreeding, etc,,,then a few hundred thousand years later, it all begins again. There would be no evidence of the past civilizations for the "scientists" to find after that many eons. Like Darth said, we're getting scarily close to that right now.

Oh yeah, mellow greetings and be well.

Back