The Inverted Ivory Theory

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Well.....I gotta say that IMO it's not the smartphones. It's the fact that stupid people use them as their third hand, companion, interpreter since they rarely speak to each other.

My fartphone is my computer. I have a Galaxy S6 and it makes my HP laptop with Windows 10 look like an idiot.

It's not that phones are making people idiots. It's that lots of idiots have smartphones.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Well.....I gotta say that IMO it's not the smartphones. It's the fact that stupid people use them as their third hand, companion, interpreter since they rarely speak to each other.

My fartphone is my computer. I have a Galaxy S6 and it makes my HP laptop with Windows 10 look like an idiot.

It's not that phones are making people idiots. It's that lots of idiots have smartphones.
It's kind of ironic isn't it? Smart phones are making people dumber. I don't mean that personally Captain!
Some think "why do I need to know how to do math, I've got my smart phone?" Well, what if your phone isn't working or you (god forbid) forget to bring it with you. Then what? Yes, I use a calculator but also still do math by hand so I don't forget how. There was a time when I went to do long division and realized, I don't remember how, seriously. I had to look it up and sort of relearn it all over again. Maybe I just grew up in a different era is all. If you wanted to get in touch with someone you had to go home and use the phone or find a phone booth. Really sucked when you had to actual TALK to another person. He says while typing on a computer stuff that other people will read,,,,,,,but we'll ignore that right now, lol.
Anyways, my point is it seems to me the more advanced the technology becomes the dumber people become. We are doomed aren't we. Hello San Angeles and Dr. Cochto and the perceived utopian society. Sigh............Oh well, I'll be gone before it gets that far. Too bad there isn't a way to come back in a couple hundred years for a day, and see what it's like then, if IT even still exists that is. Might look like a scene from the TV show "Life After People". You know, "200 years after people............."

kkritsilas

Reaction score
Smart phones and those other "devices" are not the problem, its the people carrying/using them that are. I have two, one personal, and one from work. I put both of them in my front pockets. I have never, nor will I ever, answer them when driving. I also have enough respect for the person that I am talking to, to not answer them when I am in the middle of a conversation. Just basic manners is the way I look at it. When I can, I will answer the cell phones. I also excuse myself when I answer a call and I am in a public setting, and go somewhere more private. I'm just an average guy, so there is no reason that other people can't do the same.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Amen kkritsilas...

My dad worked for the phone company all his life. We had it drilled into us how to correctly answer the phone. How to run the wires and reconnect a phone. How to disable the ringer in the phone. Proper ettiquette for party line at my grandmother's. No phone answered during dinner.

Things I still do. In addition to not talking/texting while driving.

But Dad now answers that cell phone as soon as it rings. Drives me bat-sh*t crazy.
I now take his phone away from him before we go to the doctor or he will answer it.

Its funny... he will squirm in frustration when my phone(s) ring and I don't answer them.

This is the same guy who sent me to my room for not answering the phone correctly.

Amazes me what 'instant access' has done to folks.

kkritsilas

Reaction score
I get the same when I am in a conversation and i get a call. They actually stop talking about what we were talking about, and ask if I want to answer that. I always say that I will attend to that when we are finished our conversation; both voicemail and called ID can handle that for now.

I never really did understand interrupting a conversation with a face to face person to answer what will most likely be a trivial phone call. Seems rude in my mind. I have also never had an issue when I called the other person back afterwards.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Nothing bugs me more than seeing someone talking on their phone while dealing with say a teller in a bank or a checkout. Put the damn thing away and actually acknowledge and talk to the human in front of you.

I have and will NEVER even look at my phone while I'm driving. I've already rambled about that danger endlessly on here.

And yes the technology has made people mentally lethargic. That's their problem though. Not mine. Even silly things like trying to remember an actor from a movie. Everyone dives for their phone. I instead will rack my brain till I remember it.

Instant access to information is a great thing but I believe it should be used as a tool. Not a crutch.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Why are people so drugged by these phones?
I missed the part where you stopped at every pay phone en route to make a call, because the phone was addictive.

Break time at work, people used to talk, but now everyone has their face in the phone.

The microwaves from the phone bakes brain cells.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Why are people so drugged by these phones?
I missed the part where you stopped at every pay phone en route to make a call, because the phone was addictive.

Break time at work, people used to talk, but now everyone has their face in the phone.

The microwaves from the phone bakes brain cells.

They're easy to get sucked into because it's like a little tv that also has games, weather, virtual friends, you name it it's on there. And people get hooked. I've seen it everywhere.

Myself? I still like good ol fashioned human interaction. Call me crazy.

I really like this phone. But like I said it's my computer and it's a lot more user friendly than my braindead laptop.

And hey! I can even make calls on it. Imagine that!

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I have used a sail foam only once.
And there's no cell phone tower near me.
I'm pretty microwave free, so I can observe this mad, mad sail foam world, shake my head and face palm.

The WTF are schools teaching besides sticking veggies in the rectum?
Twice in 24 hrs I farked up clerks with simple math.
Total is $11.35, so I hand a Twenty, a one, a quarter and a dime.
Or $9.20 and I hand a Twenty and a quarter.
Yep, way beyond confusing for today's grads.

volareandgtcat

Reaction score
Send my kids nowadays to pick something up and you'll get a call ... what type, what size, etc.etc. .. I tell them make the best choice you can .. and I never complain .. even if i have to take it back, the youngest still calls the other 2 know what I'll say .. geesh, how did we even get here without. I have a computer and all I know is how to turn it on and get in trouble, can you imagine if I had a phone too?

Aspen500

Reaction score
Nothing bugs me more than seeing someone talking on their phone while dealing with say a teller in a bank or a checkout. Put the damn thing away and actually acknowledge and talk to the human in front of you.

I have and will NEVER even look at my phone while I'm driving. I've already rambled about that danger endlessly on here.

And yes the technology has made people mentally lethargic. That's their problem though. Not mine. Even silly things like trying to remember an actor from a movie. Everyone dives for their phone. I instead will rack my brain till I remember it.

Instant access to information is a great thing but I believe it should be used as a tool. Not a crutch.

Exactly! What ever happened to common courtesy? Manners? What is all fired important that it can't wait until you're done checking out or making a bank transaction, etc. More than once I've been talking to someone and their phone rings. They absolutely HAVE to answer it and when they do, I just turn and walk away. Guess the phone call was more important than what we were talking about. I can understand if they're expecting a phone call from their wife to say "it's time, labor has started" or something that really is more important. In those cases, I understand. It's the ones that start out as "Hey!!!!!!!!! What's up?"

The brain is like a lot of other things, use it or lose it. One of the reasons I think my grandmother's mind was still sharp as a tack, right up until she passed away at 96 years old. She did crossword puzzles, read books, wrote letters, etc........In other words, she kept her brain active all the time.

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
Between cell phones, Twitter/Facebook and video games, it sure dumbs down the population quick.

I'm old school, I have a bomb proof land line and a answering machine.
And for the amount of calls I make, I keep asking for a payphone in my house.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Between cell phones, Twitter/Facebook and video games, it sure dumbs down the population quick.

I'm old school, I have a bomb proof land line and a answering machine.
And for the amount of calls I make, I keep asking for a payphone in my house.

Actually the reason I got rid of my land line is because every second time I picked up the phone it was out of service and I got tired of reaming Bell a new asshole everytime.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Heck the latest generation of mobile phone users are so lost for something to do that they use these devices to take photos of their sad, naked self and then send them to their friend's mobile phone. Really! That is all you have to do with you time. Law enforcement keeps telling these kids it is a crime, and they keep charging them with illegal activity. Good for the Lawmen!

Back