The long and short tails of a 4 speed OD with the J Body console

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Let me go get a box weighed and will shoot you a price for shipping - but I need a Zip code first (just shoot me a PM).
If you want to give some extra for the part – I would appreciate it for at this point, it is brand new but dead weight to me. It comes with pins and rings for 0.010” over 400, from 440 Source. I’ve only touched 1 piston – the rest has never been taken out of the box.

Same, if you want both sets (but only 1 set should do you).

---
Depending on year of engine/transmission, a torque converter drain plug should be there.
Chrysler stopped installing them roughly around ’76 (or so) as a cost saving measure.

All torque converters with drain plugs are non-lockup.
All lock-up converters come without drain plugs.
Lock-up converters came out mid-year ’78 – so here are some non-lockup converters without drain plugs as well – which makes it tough to tell if a lockup or not - if it has no drain plug.

The drain plug makes it easy to line up the torque converter to the flexplate.
There is a small hole where the flexplate to crankshaft bolts are at. The drain plug goes opposite of that small hole.
Flexplate hole.jpg

A random picture I swiped from internet
If one really looks close, there will be a “V”, on an “X” stamped on the torque converter. That stamp lines up with the small hole in flexplate and is opposite side of the drain plug (if present).

Also, any small block transmission with a converter drain plug, will have a small plate cutout on the dust shield to allow to drain the converter in car. Big blocks – you just have to remove the entire cover. Small block dust shields are harder to remove.

---
I believe you have came with a 1-piece kickdown linkage that came with the engine? In other words, there is a long shaft that is sorta bent into an “S” that connects just behind the carburetor and attaches to an arm on the transmission?

If so, that kickdown linkage will not work in an FMJ body - for it will hit the firewall roughly at ½ throttle. A person will need to find an A or B body 383/400 3-piece kickdown linkage (uses a bell crank on intake and another one on bell housing OR get a kickdown cable setup.
I’m looking for the OEM look so 3-piece setup for me – but cable setup might actually be cheaper.

---
The motorhome transmission (A727) uses heavy duty parts inside (not necessarily high performance) and serves as a great base for a transmission – if going automatic, that is.
Now with that said, most motor home transmissions do need some parts changed for it to fit into a passenger car. Not hard to do, in most cases. If you plan on using it, can you take a picture of it, mainly the rear half of it – and I can tell you exactly what is needed for car usage.

If you do sell it – make sure people know it is a motor home transmission!
It is getting hard to find a big block case, now days.

---
Are you going back with A/C? If not, I would not reuse the A/C brackets which will make things a lot simpler.
If so, are you planning on using the cast iron RV2 style A/C compressor (AKA the boat anchor)?
The Sanyo setups save weight and actually get batter fuel mileage than the RV2 style does.

If not planning on using A/C (or going Sanyo) – I am looking for the pulley and bracket set.

---
Next question is water pump housing. The older cars, the housing exits over the engine oil filter – which makes oil filter changes a big pain. There is no room to access the filter from under car because of the torsion bars. If the battery has not been re-located, then the battery also gets in the way.
I’m planning on moving my engine filter to the L/F wheel well, via remote filter – somehow (hadn’t gotten that part, yet).
Either water pump outlet direction – get an aluminum water pump housing! A lot of people makes the Left exit housing but only 440 Source makes the Right exit, which I know of.

If a person uses a Right exit housing – you might be able to use your existing radiator – if not using A/C.

The P/S pump should be the same one you already have – except brackets are different and pulley offset is different (and maybe pulley diameter, maybe).

---
Also, do you plan on using the valve covers off of it? If not, does one side have a large white sticker on it?
If so and you are not planning on using them, I might be interested in it or them.
BudW

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
20171029_122851 r.jpg

20171029_122839 r.jpg

So shiny, you can see the trees and roof in the reflection.

20171029_123621 r.jpg

20171029_123730 r.jpg

in Grams

The lower pictures are not for sale.
20171029_123233 R.jpg

20171029_123213 R.jpg

BudW

4speedjim

Reaction score
Yup, I plan on using my stock valve covers with the big white with green print sticker. Says something about 1976 heavy duty emissions. No cats on exhaust or smog pump. Im not really 100% that I have to have "mine" with the decal. I am going with all the stock appearing junk painted engine blue. Even the Alum. heads, intake and water pump will get a quick squirt of paint.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I despise having a “black” engine (like the one currently in my ’86 5th Ave). Just can’t stand it. Why Chrysler went to black – IDK – for there was nothing wrong with using blue (or orange, or red . . .).

Having an engine painted does help with keeping it clean, and looking pretty. I have plans on painting the aluminum parts (cylinder heads, water pump housing, intake, etc.) because I don’t want people to be distracted.
Also, in some areas where salt is used, the bare aluminum starts to corrode which just looks bad. If car was just going to see limited use – that is fine. Personally, I plan to drive my cars every day.

My goal is to open the hood, and see a blue engine, with black air cleaner (with a dummy Lean Burn Box attached), black A/C compressor and hoses, and so forth, so at first glance (maybe even second or third glance) think it is just another regular 318 under the hood!
The spark plug wires might be the only clue that it's more than a 318.

Wite stickered valve covers, for some unknown reason, I also have to have (some weird mental thing, maybe).
The HD and industrial Chrysler engines had different data on them, depending on year. The newer ones have the last three digits of production engine part number – for assembly line usage.
I was going to tape over the sticker, paint engine and peel off the tape. What the sticker says – I don’t think matters much.

There is a 440 motor home engine in my garage with a sticker on it, but previous owner painted over the sticker with dark blue paint. Looks odd for engine to be painted Chrysler blue, but both valve covers and oil pan are dark blue.
BudW

Back