The New Addition To The Family

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Nice find, Congrats!

Thanks man...
Y'know...it seems I can never just buy a car, plate it and drive it.
It's always a bloody epic.
Of course this one's no different.

The story so far........

Saturday we went and looked at the car.
Tuesday I left early from work to go do the deal pretty much getting into a scrap with my idiot boss cause I was leaving early...even though it WAS MY BIRTHDAY!!!
Spent two hours (not kidding) at the MTO (the old timer messed up some paperwork)
In line...out of line...in line...out of line....next teller...etc...
Finally got that done..
Dropped the car at the mechanic guy I know by my work...
He said....no problem I'll get it safetied.
Well....this guy is a damn good mechanic...when he's straight.
He's had addiction issues in the past...anyway..turnsout he's fallen off the wagon
Not only did he not even touch the car the next day...he never came out of the garage at all that day.
He lives above it.
I called continuously from 10:00am till 3:30pm.
Nothing.
I decided to walk over...door locked from the inside, his van is there.
My car hasn't budged from where we left it.
On a whim I called a guy I know across the street from his place who does alignments and front ends.
He says..yep I can do it for you.SWEET!!
I go back to the stoner's to get the car.
It's locked....I have two keys and I think...well at least he locked before going on his bender.
I left him a key under the floor mat cause he wasn't there when I dropped it off
I open the car and just for laughs I lift the floor mat.....my key...
He locked the key in the car.
Beautiful....
I take the car to the other guy and go home
He says tomorrow afternoon for sure....
Well...the best laid plans.....he was swamped and just couldn't squeeze it in.
Hey...the guy's doing me a favor so I can't and ain't complaining..
But the beautiful part is I got into it with my boss again cause I left a half hour early to get my plates.
Only.....I didn't get a safety so I didn't get plates.
Sooooo....now today I have to leave early....TO GET MY PLATES!!!

It's been an epic journey but I'm reeeeeeally hoping I'll have plates on it tomorrow.

DCAspen

Reaction score
IMG_0292.jpg
IMG_0318.jpg
IMG_0303.jpg

IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0303.jpg

DCAspen

Reaction score
My car looked just like yours when I got it,put a set of rims on it black out the grille and ditch those wheel lip mouldings,I'm sure the wife will like it even more.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
My car looked just like yours when I got it,put a set of rims on it black out the grille and ditch those wheel lip mouldings,I'm sure the wife will like it even more.

Looks sweet.....
Curious though...
Your name is 80aspen but that's a Plymouth
Did you convert it?

80 Aspen RT

Reaction score
That is a nice ride 80aspen!

So Captain...how did it go today? Boss let ya out early?

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That is a nice ride 80aspen!

So Captain...how did it go today? Boss let ya out early?

I just left. Once the moron figured out the numbers I pumped out this week we were instant buddy's again.
Picked it up, plates are on.
Took it for a rip...running a but rough but after a good tune up I'm sure she'll run like a champ.

DCAspen

Reaction score
I will be converting it to an Aspen when I restore it.Been collecting parts for about 10 years to totally redo the car,I have about 85% of the items I need,Lots of NOS stuff,will be doing some custom things.I am very close to starting the project.

Erics5th

Reaction score
Don't forget you'll need to adjust the valve lash on the slant when you do a tune up. They are solid lifters, .010" intake and .020" on the exhaust valves.

Erics5th

Reaction score
Real easy, I used to have a '72 Satellite with a slant. All you need is a 3/8" box wrench and feeler gauges. Get the engine warmed up well. Remove the valve cover, turn down the idle to around 500rpm. Insert the gauge between the valve stem and rocker. If needed, open or close the lash...you'll get a feel and you'll be able to feel the engine get a miss if you go to tight, and the valve will get noisy if you go to loose. Don't forget the two intake valves are next to each other in the center (3 and 4). Some like to adjust with the engine off and turn it by hand. I like it running so the valves are the same temperature at all times. Get a more accurate setting that way. You may get a skinned knuckle or two. Part of the cost of owning a slant!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Real easy, I used to have a '72 Satellite with a slant. All you need is a 3/8" box wrench and feeler gauges. Get the engine warmed up well. Remove the valve cover, turn down the idle to around 500rpm. Insert the gauge between the valve stem and rocker. If needed, open or close the lash...you'll get a feel and you'll be able to feel the engine get a miss if you go to tight, and the valve will get noisy if you go to loose. Don't forget the two intake valves are next to each other in the center (3 and 4). Some like to adjust with the engine off and turn it by hand. I like it running so the valves are the same temperature at all times. Get a more accurate setting that way. You may get a skinned knuckle or two. Part of the cost of owning a slant!

What's another skinned knuckle?
Thanks a mil for the heads up.
I've never done it myself but I'm sure my buddy has a couple of million times.
He can drink hot chocolate and supervise.
Thanks again!

Erics5th

Reaction score
Hey, no problem! Adjusting the valve lash is part of a tune up for the slant. At most it only takes maybe 15-20 minutes.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I knew it was a good car when I saw it but man did it run like crap.
Every cold start...this thing would play YYZ by Rush.....
BA..Buh..BA..BA..BA..Buh..BA..BA..BA..BA..Buh..Buh......
Not good.....
Finally had good weather today so we went to my buddy's place to investigate the carb.
As suspected...absolutely caked with crap.
A can and a half of carb cleaner and a lot of scrubbing and she's running a million times better.
Wires are coming Tuesday so tune up is next weekend.
2013-04-21 14.23.55-1.jpg

Even gave her a wax today.
I'm one of those nutjobs who thinks cars have feelings.
If I'm right...this is one old gal who's feeling a whole lot better about herself now.
The wife got right in there helping out too.
That's my girl.......

Some classic photos.........

2013-04-21 14.23.55-1.jpg

Back