Things to look for

Reaction score
I've been out of the classic Mopar game for quite some time now. My most recent was an 86 Ramcharger that I foolishly sold to an apparent homicide suspect, but that is a story for another thread. I'm potentially acquiring a 78 Volare 4dr and just want to double check myself of things that should be looked at closely. Before taking the leap. Any feedback is appreciated!

received_581543215656728.jpeg

received_1292727724226084.png

received_329676721085377.png

received_2307571276158615.jpeg

received_2320746754861236.jpeg

received_819740335025951.jpeg

received_719477701782602.jpeg

received_1621040364706637.jpeg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t think very many white F-bodies were made.
Come to think of it, I’ve seen one in a brochure (before) and now, this one.

The underhood picture looks great.

Dash pads can be found in nice to decent condition. There might even be a few available for sale in our “For Sale” forum board, possibly. If not, ask (start a new forum post, in correct section). The dash pad will be ‘76-80 F-body only.

The A-pillar trim is for 4-door F & M bodies only. The good news is there is a lot of M-bodies with decent A-pillar trim out there. The bad news is most M-body pillar trim is covered with fabric – which looks tacky after fabric is removed (just is not the same). They can be recovered with a fabric that matches the headliner (or dash, or whatever).

I can’t see the condition of the Grill from your pictures. In some cases, you might have as much $ in a replacement grill as you might have in the rest of the car.

These cars came with the factory installed RUST option (mandatory equipment, it seems) so rust is something to look for. Just as OldIron440 mentioned before, the floors and front frame rails tend to rust. They can be fixed – depending on your capability’s. I have yet to learn how to weld – so not something on my list of capabilities, but for others it is a walk in the park.

The floor and front frame rails might be easier to inspect using a camera and getting on the ground and taking several pictures from underneath.

This is a picture of a good front frame rail
20180902_161822r.jpg

Taken under R/F door (behind the R/F tire) looking towards the L/F headlight

A not so good frame rail.
Frame Rail Rot.jpg

This picture is taken inside engine compartment (with engine removed) looking down to passenger frame rail towards (and just behind) the R/F tire (barely shown). The bottom of firewall is also visible in upper Left side of picture. Taken the opposite direction (picture above) but different car.
rust.jpg

This is looking under L/F door towards the R/F tire (lower center of picture). This is the rear part of L/F frame rail and transmission crossmember (or what's left of them).

20180902_161740r.jpg

Same area but different direction on a less rusty car. This one has some minor rust but not to point of structural failure (compared to picture just above). Picture taken from under car close to rear of transmission looking towards the L/F tire (lower center).

If you have doubt of what a picture shows, then take a small bladed screwdriver or an ice pick and apply some pressure to the questionable area. A good solid area will not have any “give” to it when pushed on.

I hope this helps you.
BudW

Reaction score
I'm not sure how bad the dash pad really is. The yellow portion actually looks like some sort of cover, but I know very little about these guys. I appreciate everyone's info. I'll be putting my own eyes and hands on it tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully, being a New Mexico car, it has little to no rust. *Knocks o Wood* I wont hold my breath though

Back