Tractors and Other Thangs

Justwondering

Reaction score
Here are some of the items I've moved from one farm to another on my 600 mile round trips.

IMG_5587.jpg

A good stock trailer with dried out hubs and dead tires.

IMG_5588.jpg

An 70s massey ferguson with an awesome hay spear on the backend.

IMG_5603.jpg

An old late 40s early 50s Willys Jeep Truck. (correction - 1963 i believe)

It takes nearly 2 hours each to get them out of the old barn and pulled into position to the trailer and then another hour getting them on to a trailer and back to the other ranch.

100 degrees every single time I go down there, and then the next day its 20 degrees cooler. Its a struggle.

Everything that had tires has been sitting several years and all tires are flat, dry-rotted, so its been a challenge. I will be glad when all the equipment is moved and eventually put up at my place or my dad's. Interesting side project this fall that is seriously interrupting my house wall construction.

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
I'm thinking the jeep truck is 1963. Nothing about the body is 40s.
The sticker on the inside looks like it says 43 but the body style is not 43.
So this must be a sloppy 6 for 63.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Have another one coming home in about 2 weeks I think. Similar style.
Will keep you posted. My Bro got once in a lifetime deal. Lucky Guy

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Most of what was made in ’43 went to the War Department. ’53 or ’63 sounds more like it.

Have you thought about getting a compressed air tank or an air compressor to at least get the tires more round, before moving ‘em?

Justwondering

Reaction score
That worked on 1 tire so far on the stock trailer. Most of them are seriously dry rotted and have huge holes in the side wall or have been sitting flat so long that the belts have ripped through the treads when we pulled them out of the barn.

Lot of sweat equity to get them out.

I have another round trip starting tomorrow morning at 4 am and back home by end of day on Wednesday. Then won't go back for 10 days. Gotta get the walls on the house started before the winter hits.

IMG_5603.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
So this evening we started at 7 pm to move the trailer and pull the red jeep truck off. Oh Lordy lordy.
Had 3 people deciding how to do it.

Why yes.

We managed to high center it on the dovetail/ramps on the way down.

So our 15 minutes stretched into an hour. We lost daylight. Had to find the flashlights, and sacraficial boards and the jack.

Yep, jack lost a wheel. .... make that 2 wheels in the process.

No jack handle, but we made do with a very long skinny pry bar.

Had a lot of trouble keeping the wheels aligned.

Pulled the silverado around, 4 low, tied a short strap between the hitches.

Jacked up the center cross member, stuck 4 short pieces of plywood/siding under it . Let the jack off.

Realigned the ramps.

Managed to bat .500

passenger ramp was spot on.

driver's ramp was a swing and a miss.

Then I got out of the jeep, looked over the situation and said --
Looks like we have a failure of alignment!

So we can either keep yanking.
Or
drive the trailer forward out from under it
Or
try jacking it again.

We yanked.

Couple of thuds and thunks but it came off.

I saw nothing leaking in the dark. Looks like the leaf springs and the front welded cattle guard caught most of the weight.

But its all got to be reviewed in the daylight.. in 3 days.

I'm making another run and won't be back til thin

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I learned a lot about Willys, sense your vehicle family grew.
Couldn’t see necessary details about the vehicle to determine the year it was built from your pictures.
A good picture of the grill would be a great indicator – but that appears to be easier said than done with that huge bumper on it.

The engine would be the next indicator of year:
The Go-Devil 4 cylinder was used ‘47-52
Willys_MB_Motor.JPG

The Hurricane 4 cylinder was used ’50-65
Jeep_M170.jpg

The Super Hurricane 6 cylinder was used ‘54-62
1955_Jeep_Willys_Utility_Wagon.jpg

And the Tornado 6 cylinder was used ’62-65
1963_Jeep_Pickup_FL_engine-L.jpg

Now I have a question.
It “appears” to have a wooden roof with what “appears” to be a tool box on/in the roof (or maybe a redneck sunroof / ejection seat apparatus)?
Can you give a bit more description of the roof, for me, please?

Justwondering

Reaction score
Budw ...
sorry I missed this last post of yours.
This is a 1963 Willys Pickup with the Tornado 230 engine.
It has the power steering from a buick and they also pulled the steering wheel and put in the buick steering wheel.

I've had time to putz with it a little... some serious rat 'sheeeut' in the cab. About 6 inches deep under the seats and 2 inches in the floor. Both seats have to be replaced. rats scuttled all the padding and peed on them and the springs are shot.

Have drained the gas tank and installed a new fuel filter.
Have degreased the top of the engine twice. I'm not very good at it and don't want to screw up something else.
Have replaced the air filter and cleaned the cover.
Trying to remove the gas tank so I can clean it out and check for leaks. Its the original metal tank and looks in bad shape. Having trouble getting the bolts off the straps holding the tank in place.
Have shifted around tires and purchased one used trailer tire and finally have 4 that will hold air.
Tested both the horns. One works, one needs rehab.

I've purchased a few other items but will have to wait to work on it since its time to work on the house walls. (Belt, wires, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, radiator fluid, vacuum line, heater hoses -- waiting in the cab).

The square 'bracing' on the top was to load hay on to. Apparently the back story is this was the truck used to pull the hay out of the field. So the hitch on the back pulled a trailer and then they stuffed the rear and over the top of the cab with hay to reduce the number of trips to the field.

I checked underneath and the entire bed is rusted through front to back. Is why they put the flat plate in the bed of the truck.

Looks like I need to find new seats and I'm leaning to late model Dakota with the center console. Guess it depends on what I find at pick-n-pull.

Next up is, I'm waiting for my core charge and returns money from rockauto so I can get the starter for the chrysler -- on the assumption my tests will prove out that it is a start problem.

Justwondering

Reaction score
My brother came up this weekend to visit and see the progress on the Red Jeep Pickup Truck (Ramblin Rose).

He's thinking we do the minimum to make it safe and run but don't make any major changes. Don't make it show room quality.

But we then take the 2nd jeep pickup truck (Green Grizzly) and rehab it greatly.

Kinda like a before and after pair. Then we have one in the 'barn find' category and the other in 'restored or survivor' category.

Is that something folks would want to see?
Are there such categories as that?

We were thinking just a couple of local Texas shows not the big things. Something for the kids to help with before they get to old to enjoy 'dad time'.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
There are not many of those vehicles still out there so yea, a side by side at a car show would be neat to see.

Are both of them his, yours or other?
Need to get them out of the weather – rust happens but slowed down a lot when not in it.

Be sure to take lots of pictures beforehand and during repairs. Even if you think you can get “a small project” done in a couple of hours. Also make notes of bolt sizes and locations, and such, will be a big help to document now - than to pull hair out later.
(Ziploc bags and a sharpie, also does wonders).

Justwondering

Reaction score
Both are his right now.
If I decided I wanted one, he'd give it to me. But I have that tempest still waiting for me and I would like a 70's car, two-door, manual something or other.

These jeep trucks are a novelty and a learning experience for me so I can:
1. help him
2. learn before I get to the 61 tempest

I have a place down at my dad's that I need to clean out and they will reside there until my brother and I get a pole barn set up on his place (near my dad's).
Until then, I have oversized tarps on each of them. Not the best setup, but hopefully I'll have this red one out of here by February and the green one will be here for some tlc.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Managed to get the oil changed in the red jeep pickup on Dec 31 while we still had warm weather.

Noticed that the engine grounding strap was not connected to anything.
There was also a drip of antifreeze on the underside of the bottom radiator hose.

Ordered more parts for the lovely beast.

And today, it was a whopping 31 but I managed to get some limbs trimmed on the cedars, sorted through 3 of the 5 boxes of papers and documents in the living room. Most is trashed or properly stored in the filing cabinets now.

And ended the afternoon activities by installing the two new hydraulic lifts on the back hatch of the suburban.

Exactly why are those dang lifts so expensive? $25 a piece or I drive 114 miles one way for a pick-n-pull. Which means its more expensive to get a used part. So half of my monthly car repair budget is now toast.

But on a brighter note, I made an executive decision to exclude any Chrysler parts from the car budget this year. (at least until hubby figures out my mad math solution... bwahahaha)

Justwondering

Reaction score
OMG ---
After not working on anything for the past 7 weeks (remember i was sick for the first fricking time in 17 years).....

I check the red willys pickup truck and it looks okay on the driver side
BUT
I notice leaves on the floor

Go to the passenger side and there is a pile of leaves and crap everywhere.
I'm thinking packrat.

BUT NOOOOOO

Its a dang possum.
He won't leave.
Critter rid (liquid) sprayed, poked at with a bar/pitchfork/rake, handle of the rake,
Politely asked to leave.
Rudely asked to leave.
Asked in English. Asked in Spanish.

Opened doors and left for a while..

Came back and he's still hanging in there under the dash.

Got a pump sprayer and sprayed him and under the dash with pinesol water.
HE DID NOT like that at all, but still refused to leave.

Currently I have the doors tied open and have saturated up in the dash and all the floor with pinesol. We are supposed to have freezing weather and 35 mph winds, so I'm thinking he will leave tonight???

Any suggestions?
JW

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Garden Hose!

Its a dang possum.

I had on of those pesky things that tried to play dead on me, after many many fun things, none of which worked I stuck the hose it its mouth and filled it full.

While all this was going on a neighbor thought I was beating a dog with a shovel and so the police showed up next.

The "city" type officer didnt want to get near it. We looked real close and sure enough it wasnt dead, hissed at us and he said crack it again (shovel).

So I did and we were all just in the right spot for the officer to get what I pumped into then animals stomach right in the chest.

He threw up, right then and there. I walked in grabbed a pistol and walked out and bang, no more rodent.

Looked at the officer and said I wont mention this if you dont.

He left to clean up, I got ride of rodent.

I just sent my nephew out tonight to go pickup one of my old IH-s 1200 miles away.

Justwondering

Reaction score
apparently pinesol sprayed all over him, 24 degree weather, 35 mph north winds and both doors open on the truck were enough to make him leave.

And now that truck smells much better.

Gonna be 60 on Monday so I'm thinking its time to start working on that truck again.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
Gonna be 60 on Monday? Hah, got you beat, it's 6 here right now :p Glad you got rid of it. Can't say I've ever seen a possum in person. Maybe don't have them around here. Never want to confront one, by the looks of things.
Reminds me of this commercial:

Back