Trailer hitch

Logan

Reaction score
I didn't realize the link to the hitches I posted was for universal fit, which means like anything else called "universal" they won't fit a darn thing. I assumed they were F/M/J body specific.
Probably could be made to work.
On their installation instructions sheet, I'm sure the tools needed icons includes the usual adjustable wrench, screwdriver and goggles but also a mig welder, cut off saw and drill press icon:)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
A pre-fab hitch will only fit (or come from another) FMJ vehicle (only). Nothing else out there will work/fit without modifications,

If you are going to make a trailer hitch yourself (which could be either by self or get someone (like a welder) to make one for you) – you do have a few options:
Option one is to bolt (please don’t weld it onto your existing frame – because if you do, you will find out, a month or so later, that you will need to remove something that is now inaccessible, like the fuel tank, for example) it to the lower side of frame rails.
Trailer Hitch Under.png

You can bolt it onto either side of frame rails.
Trailer Hitch Inside A.png

An option to above is to add reinforcement plate on other side of frame rail (to avoid crushing the frame rails when tightening bolts.
Trailer Hitch Inside B.png

You can make a C-shaped section to the hitch that will cradle the frame rail (what I recommend).
Trailer Hitch C-channel  Best.png

Optional (but this will not be easy) is to find a way to get inside of the frame rails and weld tubes inside of it (where bolts are going through it) so frame rails wont crush when bolts are tightened. The easiest way to do this is to cut holes inside of trunk and re-weld closed afterwards.
This might be best if a person was changing out the trunk pan due to rust repairs.

The C-shaped section method would be by far the best (last picture) – but the most labor intensive to create.

Those frame rails are not that strong, and it doesn’t take much to crush one when tightening bolts.
BudW

4speedjim

Reaction score
If you drill holes with a step bit into the frame you can slide pieces of pipe through the holes. You'll never hurt anything with the diameter of say 1/2" water supply (Galvanized) pipe through the frame used as crush proof sleeves. Angle iron or u channel ideally. A fun and rewarding afternoon in the junk yard and another under the car. Use Buds pictures, he's a smart guy and a real wiz with his drawings. You'll be able to hook to your house and relocate whenever the mood strikes.

Back