Transmission won’t engage…

Stonekij31

Reaction score
I got my car all back together and was ready to take it on its maiden voyage and it’s not moving! It’s an a904 connected to my slant 6. I’ve checked the linkage, filled the transmission while warm and in neutral. I’ve cycled it back and forth 30 times or so and ran the car for about an hour (broke in the cam today). So plenty of time for the tc to fill. Am I missing something?

XfbodyX

Reaction score
Driveshaft?

You didnt run/warm the car with it dry before filling did you?

Stonekij31

Reaction score
Nope, not that either. Nothing happens when I shift it into a gear. There’s not connection taking place inside the transmission

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I’ve cycled it back and forth 30 times or so and ran the car for about an hour (broke in the cam today). So plenty of time for the tc to fill.
Stupid question, you filled the torque converter before putting it in the car, right?

Otherwise how is the pump supposed to prime?

Isn't the total 904 capacity like 9 quarts? 4-5 quarts seems low

Edit: did you run it in neutral or in park

Last edited:

volare 1977

Reaction score
Not true. I had installed a trans TC before and I didn`t have it locked all the way in. So it can happen. Not saying it is you problem but it can happen

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I think it depends on the setup. I've installed transmissions before that were all stock parts and without the torque converter seated properly it stuck out too far to be able to fit the transmission to the engine.

78VOLAREWAG

Reaction score
Loosen a cooler line and start it. If fluid doesn't gush out, the pump isn't pumping. I wouldn't think you could bolt up the converter if it wasn't engaged, but, Hey, I've seen stranger things happen.

80mirada

Reaction score
It is possible not to have the convertor not engaged and still get it bolted in, it's rare, and can be pretty bad. Was the trans opened up for any work? Can the car be pushed when shifted into neutral? Do you have your park brake set? I have seen a shop diagnose a car as having a bad transmission and it was just the park brake...

Stonekij31

Reaction score
I’ve got a small leak coming from a cooler line. But I will disconnect at the radiator and watch it. No, the trans was not opened for any work other than a filter change. The car shifts correctly and rolls in the appropriate direction when shifted into R-N-D. I removed the parking break as well.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I’ve got a small leak coming from a cooler line. But I will disconnect at the radiator and watch it. No, the trans was not opened for any work other than a filter change. The car shifts correctly and rolls in the appropriate direction when shifted into R-N-D. I removed the parking break as well.
Wait, the car moves when in gear then stops?

Back