Trunk Tales

Justwondering

Reaction score
It was a beautiful day on Friday this week, until I decided to clean out the trunk and again discovered the carpet was wet. Boo... hiss...

The underside of the trunk lid was dry. The underside of the trunk edges were wet, dripping water.

Removed the jack handle, jack, spare tire, carpet hiding the hinges, carpet liner from the bottom and the carpet trim hiding the rear of the light sockets.

Here is the trunk:
IMG_4037.jpg

There is a quarter sized spot of rust about half way down on the left side.
There is light rust along crevices on the right side.

There was about 1/4 inch of water in the two round circular depressions towards the top of the picture and a light about of water over the entire bottom.

If this water issue had been going on a long time, the pan would be completely coated in rust. Since there was so little rust, I have to conclude the water problem is a recent problem; although a persistent one.
--- Post updated ---
Inside each of the wheel wells was a cardboard insert cut to fit the shape and size. The driver side is shorter length than the passenger side.

The cardboard is painted black on one side. It fits against the inside of the quarter panel and has a curve to the bottom so it fits across the bottom (about 4 inches or so). I suppose that was to provide structure to keep the panel vertical.

What actually happened was it provided a growing medium for mold and mildew. The bottom inside curve of the quarterpanels is water tight. If any water gets in there is sits until it evaporates. While it sits, it saturates the cardboard. The combination of paint, cellulose from the cardboard, and the glue to make the cardboard provided an excellent dinner.

Can't put that nasty bit back in the car. What to do?

I don't have any black cardboard laying around the house.

But I do have inspiration.

Foamboard... left over from a convention I attended last year.
IMG_4038.jpg

--- Post updated ---
Flipped the foam board over.

Put the driver side cardboard on the foamboard.
Here's the money shot...
IMG_4041.jpg

Notice all the nasty bits at the bottom.

Roughed in an outline pattern.

IMG_4042.jpg

Using a carpet knife, cut out the pieces. Since the foam board is not as flexible as the cardboard, I cut three pieces and used black gorilla tape to create my 'hinges'. The two shorter pieces appear to provide a pitiful handle as well as enough coverage for the rear, vertical area immediately behind the bumper and up to the top of the trunk.
IMG_4044.jpg

Had just a wee bit of black paint left in a spray can and a big roll of gorilla tape.
IMG_4045.jpg

Here is a comparison of the before and after:
IMG_4049.jpg

Only thing I had to do at the end when test fitting it was to trim about another 1/2 inch off the edge farthest from the handle. My hinges work because I left a bit of space between the pieces. So I should have reduced the length by the same amount of gap I left for the hinges.

Also, I did not make the curved piece at the bottom.

If the purpose was to keep the cardboard vertical, the foamboard is much stiffer and doesn't need the additional support.
If the purpose was to cover the bottom of the inside wheel well, you'll need to not bend over and twist to the side with a flashlight to look at the raw metal. lol

Repeated the process for the other side.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Hey,,,, excellent work!
One other place to check for water intrusion that gets overlooked is the taillamp seals.

What is that foam board you used? I need to make some panels to carpet for my trunk and have been trying to come up with the best product to use.

Justwondering

Reaction score
You can get foam board at wallyworld (wal*mart) or hobby lobby, michaels
Sometimes its called foam mounting board.
3/16" thick and 20" x 30" is about 3 bucks for one piece at michaels/hobby lobby.

I usually see it in the area with the construction paper or poster board. Back in the day when I was in grade school we put our projects for display on poster board which slipped and slid all over the place.

Now days they use what looks like a piece of poster board adhered to a 3/16 inch foam core. Stays stiff and won't fall over or bend like the poster board did.

You've seen it before, just probably didn't realize that's what the temporary signage was on.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Thanks! There's a Michaels and a Hobby Lobby about a mile from my house up Rib Mountain Drive so we're all set to go. Rib Mt Drive is about 2.5 miles of nothing but restaurants, dept stores, specialty stores, strip malls, shopping centers and anything else you can thinks of as far as the eye can see (double stacked on the west side) so if you can't find it along there, you don't need it. Everything except the most important type of business,,,,an auto parts store. :mad: Also there's a Wally World super center but I never, EVER go there no matter what. Too many freaks, fruits, trailer trash, the scary, the smelly, and just plain rude and inconsiderate people there. It's like it's a magnet for the dregs of society. Sorry, rant over..............:eek:

Now that you described the foam stuff, I know what you're talking about. Have seen it many times and didn't know it.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That IS very nice work!
As far as where the leak is coming from....
Yes it could be the taillight seals but since water runs down I'm thinking it's something else.

One known culprit is the back window where the cutout in the padding meets the window. I always put a bead of silicone around the back window. The water gets in the gap around the window and runs down into whatever entry point is available that leads to the trunk. This includes the holes where the chrome trim runs along the bottom of the window.

Also a good idea to look in the trunk below the parcel shelf and see if you spot any daylight.

Aspen500

Reaction score
That trunk floor looks really good. I've seen rustier pans under the spare tire on 5 year old cars at work.

Justwondering

Reaction score
We are expecting rain every day for the next five -- 10% monday to 70% on Friday.

I'm going to clean and put a thin layer of silicone down the seams on each side of the trunk.

Put a clean towel rolled up the full width of the trunk tucked up under the light sockets all across the back on the inside. Any damp spots and I know thats a leak.

Check each day to see if I have water this week.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I also put a bead right along here too. Down the sides and along the bottom.

20150921_154222-1-1-1.jpg

It stops water from getting in behind the padded roof and pooling there.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Agreed.
Honestly, I left too much butyl on the underside of the fiberglass bonnet and had a gap so I back-filled it with silicone. This is where the 'looks good 20 feet away' comes into play.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Here are the seams I cleaned and added silicone to this afternoon.

IMG_4104.jpg
IMG_4106.jpg

IMG_4106.jpg

IMG_4108.jpg

Should know by the end of the week if it is leaking

Justwondering

Reaction score
One inch of rain last night. 75 to 90 mph straight line winds.

NO WATER IN THE TRUNK!

Happy dance....
Here is a goodlookin car:
IMG_3908.jpg

Here's a good lookin guy:
menshealth.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Congrats on the trunk sealing!
Your car looks very happy.

1614d51feea9f46d966927b0eb87f2f0.jpg

:D
--- Post updated ---
Sorry. I had to cleanse my eyes after that......lol.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Was he the reason for keeping your trunk dry?

Great to hear about the dry trunk.

No comments come to mind about your trunk candy.

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
Lol. Naw. I've seen so many Girl boobs thought I'd put some boy boobs out there. You all handled it very well. Thx for being so tolerant.

Aspen500

Reaction score
LOL, equal rights!

Water leaks are one of the worst things to find. Don't get much of that anymore at the indy shop I work at now (and will retire from in 20 years also if it's up to me!) but when I worked at a new car dealer it was one of those things you never wanted to read on an R/O (water leak). Where you see the water coming in has absolutely nothing to do with where the actual leak is. The things we had to do to locate the problem.....................
Off the FMJ topic but,,,,,,,,,during the most miserable 5 1/2 years of my life I worked at an Audi/VW dealer and had to find water leaks on the most leak prone car ever built. The VW EOS. Retractable hardtop with sliding panoramic sunroof. There's about 2,047 possible places for them to leak. Man I hate those cars, even to this day. Don't even get me started on fixing one that doesn't work. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sorry again for going way off topic but if you've never seen one work,,,,,,,,,what could POSSIBLY go wrong? It's such a simple operation, lol.

Back