Trunk Tales

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
LOL, equal rights!

Water leaks are one of the worst things to find. Don't get much of that anymore at the indy shop I work at now (and will retire from in 20 years also if it's up to me!) but when I worked at a new car dealer it was one of those things you never wanted to read on an R/O (water leak). Where you see the water coming in has absolutely nothing to do with where the actual leak is. The things we had to do to locate the problem.....................
Off the FMJ topic but,,,,,,,,,during the most miserable 5 1/2 years of my life I worked at an Audi/VW dealer and had to find water leaks on the most leak prone car ever built. The VW EOS. Retractable hardtop with sliding panoramic sunroof. There's about 2,047 possible places for them to leak. Man I hate those cars, even to this day. Don't even get me started on fixing one that doesn't work. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Sorry again for going way off topic but if you've never seen one work,,,,,,,,,what could POSSIBLY go wrong? It's such a simple operation, lol.

Can't see that thing leaking at all.
Well. ...not till like a month after you own it.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Those cars leaked from day one, not kidding. Says right in the owners manual to never use a high pressure automatic car wash. People would and then complain about leaks that could not be fixed without a redesign of the whole thing. Most leaked in a normal rain storm. I had to replace the main part of the top on one of those. I'd been seriously considering getting the f*** out and that one put me over the edge. Was flat-rape, I mean rate and it took me almost 24 hours to do the whole job and if you could see what's involved you'd wonder why it didn't take longer. Warranty paid 4.4 hours and even if you'd done 50 of them in a row and had all the tools and special equipment laid out, it would still take at LEAST 12 hours. What the hell, I only worked 20 hours for free. Still pi$$ed off about that. After I finished it was the very next day the place I work at now (excellent independent shop and NOT on flat rape) called to see if I'd come work for them. HELL YES! I told them where I work now that if someone calls with a VW EOS that's having top problems that we aren't equipped to work on them.

Anyways,,,,,,,,,,,,,enough of my past problems. lol
Trunk staying dry now?

Justwondering

Reaction score
I just checked the trunk.
Last week it passed the 2 inch rain -- stayed dry.
This week it FAILED the 5 inches of rain (3 inches yesterday and 2 inches overnight).
Had between 1/4 an 1/2 inch of water in the trunk.
All the carpet on the top and edges was dry. It was dry under the edges and along the top under the rivets.

This has to be coming in by the lights.

I was thinking it was coming from above; however, the bottom carpet has a water resistant - not waterproof - coating on the underside. So it could be flowing in over the lights, down under the carpet and then wicking up through the water resistant coating.

So for the remainder of the week, I'm taping plastic over the rear. Anchoring it in the trunk, and folding it out over the rear lights, down to the top of the rear bumper.

Its supposed to rain another couple of inches in 24 hours. Then dry for 6 days and rain again for 3 or 4 days.

Will let you know the results.

Aspen500

Reaction score
If those foam seals are bad, which they may very well be after 30 years or so, they will definitely leak water into the trunk. Sometimes you can see, even if it's dry. Water usually tends to leave a trace that it's been there.
Just like a house, water will find any opening to get in, no matter how small it is. Almost seems like water is a living entity once in a while. When something can defy gravity and flow upwards on it's own, you wonder.:p

Back