unity spotlight install. 1988 Gran Fury

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
been thinking about installing a spotlight on my car. i have a few lights off junkyard dips and vics. i've heard it can be hard to install a spotlight on a Diplomat because of how skinny the A-pillar is you can accidentally crack the windshield.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Aren't you supposed to install the bracket first and then drill the big hole with a special bushing installed? It should be pretty safe to do. I've never done it but I would guess that the only risk of breaking the windshield is possibly from vibrations from drilling if the windshield is old. Worst case they are cheap to replace.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
Aren't you supposed to install the bracket first and then drill the big hole with a special bushing installed? It should be pretty safe to do. I've never done it but I would guess that the only risk of breaking the windshield is possibly from vibrations from drilling if the windshield is old. Worst case they are cheap to replace.
i only bring up the threat of breaking the windshield because on the 83 AHB we have we installed the bracket but a mechanic told us not to drill as the windshield might get cracked. not sure if its installed wrong or what.

Ele115

Reaction score
You install the bracket (220L or R) EXACTLY where it is supposed to go using the little paper template that comes in the box. Once it is PROPERLY installed, you put the brass bushing in and drill the hole through the A-pillar using a drill bit at least a foot long. The bracket and bushing ensure that you drill in the correct spot and at the correct angle. If you don't have the equipment or the basics for this, take it to a place that does. Or possibly don't drill a 1/2" hole into a car that doesn't need one.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
You install the bracket (220L or R) EXACTLY where it is supposed to go using the little paper template that comes in the box. Once it is PROPERLY installed, you put the brass bushing in and drill the hole through the A-pillar using a drill bit at least a foot long. The bracket and bushing ensure that you drill in the correct spot and at the correct angle. If you don't have the equipment or the basics for this, take it to a place that does. Or possibly don't drill a 1/2" hole into a car that doesn't need one.
yeah like i said i got the spotlights from the junkyard so i don't have the paper template. how can i find a place that installs them? police garage?

Ele115

Reaction score
Several options I guess. Nowadays most fleet vehicles come with spotlights already installed, so a lot less shops do the installs than before. You're in or near a big city so you should have fleet/emergency equipment dealers there you can contact. If you can find an OEM 220L bracket for sale online or anyone that has one you may be able to sweet talk them or oil their wheels to get a photocopy of the install template. The paper template is pretty important, but it's possible you may not find one.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Check Unity's website or contact them directly for the parts. They can get you parts and templates for pretty much any product they've ever made.

Ele115

Reaction score
They sell the long 1/2" drill bit too. Hardware stores often have them too, I have one from Unity and one from ACE that is about 16" so you don't HAVE to get it from Unity but back when I got mine it was easier to get it as part of an order I was placing and the long drill bits weren't in hardware stores back then. You may see if they have the vintage wedge (handle) instead of those modern ones with the rubber aiming knob things. The newer spotlights are just crap with the plastic bezels, LEDs and rubber handles. I don't know if they sell the old good wedges or not but worth a try. Great advice on contacting Unity though. I literally thought of everything but that

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
They sell the long 1/2" drill bit too. Hardware stores often have them too, I have one from Unity and one from ACE that is about 16" so you don't HAVE to get it from Unity but back when I got mine it was easier to get it as part of an order I was placing and the long drill bits weren't in hardware stores back then. You may see if they have the vintage wedge (handle) instead of those modern ones with the rubber aiming knob things. The newer spotlights are just crap with the plastic bezels, LEDs and rubber handles. I don't know if they sell the old good wedges or not but worth a try. Great advice on contacting Unity though. I literally thought of everything but that
was thinking about frankensteining some together. the bulbs in my old ones don't like to stay in place and are a pain in the ass to put back together

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
If you proceed with the install, take careful measurements before drilling. On my Diplomat, the spotlight handle (driver's side) was too low and bumped into the top of the dashboard.
One part of me thinks my car is too nice for me to drill into and another says i really want it to look like a detective car. thanks for the heads up

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
You may see if they have the vintage wedge (handle) instead of those modern ones with the rubber aiming knob things. The newer spotlights are just crap with the plastic bezels, LEDs and rubber handles. I don't know if they sell the old good wedges or not but worth a try. Great advice on contacting Unity though. I literally thought of everything but that
You can get the older handle from them. That handle and chrome spotlight housing look bad on Crown Vics and newer cars. Just like the newer style parts look bad on the square cars.

I don't have the link handy but you can get a kit with the normal bulb and associated parts that go in the head for decent prices from some suppliers. Which reminds me I need to do that sometime because on one of mine the bulbs are weathered.

I'm not sure If I'd add a spotlight or not on a car that didn't already have it. I prefer the look of none or two over only having one.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
You can get the older handle from them. That handle and chrome spotlight housing look bad on Crown Vics and newer cars. Just like the newer style parts look bad on the square cars.

I don't have the link handy but you can get a kit with the normal bulb and associated parts that go in the head for decent prices from some suppliers. Which reminds me I need to do that sometime because on one of mine the bulbs are weathered.

I'm not sure If I'd add a spotlight or not on a car that didn't already have it. I prefer the look of none or two over only having one.
you have one on your fifth? anyway if i did put one on it'd be one. having two makes it look like an LAPD car.

GregG48213

Reaction score
New bulbs
As I recall, the issue I had wasn't with bulbs burning out; it was with the springs or clips that held the bulb in place. After a few Michigan winters, these springs would rust away and then the bulbs would wobble around loose in the housing.

LSM360

Reaction score
The bulbs get VERY hazy too from the Sun, just like modern headlights. I've not had a problem with the clips. I recall some of the foam spacers deteriorating. I can't recall if new ones come with the bulbs.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
thanks for the info
The bulbs get VERY hazy too from the Sun, just like modern headlights. I've not had a problem with the clips. I recall some of the foam spacers deteriorating. I can't recall if new ones come with the bulbs.

Back