Vacuum lines, Carb kit, alignment, suspension - priority?

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Chrysler has had colorful engines since the 60's. The high performance monsters were bright orange. That is where you hear the term HEMI Orange. The standard motors in the 60's were a greenish blue, and switched to the light blue in the 70's. Then in the mid 80's unfortunately everything went to drab black.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Roughly from ‘69 to ‘82, 318's were mostly painted Blue.
About ‘83 Chrysler changed the 318 engine color to Black (I don’t care much for black engines).

My ‘77 only has mostly garage kept 36k miles on it, so it should be in decent shape.

I don’t think your wipers have any problems, per se, but I feel the grease inside of it has turned from a solid/paste to a liquid, which is easier to leak out. Only so much can leak out - which is why I mentioned you should be fine once it is cleaned up.

If you noticed, the wiper motor on my ‘77 looks like the one on my ‘86 (other than one has delay, other does not). In ‘87 Chrysler went to the style you have.

Note: when I build my big blocks, they will be painted blue, for my “plan” (not sure how well it works out) is “at first glance, it will look like a 318 with Lean Burn”.
--- Post updated ---
Can you elaborate on your “Dawn xtra strength dish washing detergent on things I could take out of the engine compartment” process? (Examples: spread soap on and scrub with stiff bristle brush, use soapy water with paper towels, or steel wool, power wash with dawn as additive, etc.).

I live on one acre of property about six miles west of the center of Oklahoma City . On my property, there is over 140 trees, most of which are White Oak. About two dozen of the White Oaks, you cannot reach around. Needless to say, my property does not get much sunlight during summertime. Still get all of the heat and humidity, though.

The pictures show the tree sap and other tree related “stuff” I get with living in a forest.

Becky, this entire weekend, we received a total of two inch rain (ie: a drop every two inches).

I couldn’t tell in your photos, but on firewall by the bare metal square looking device (the Voltage Regulator) is a black clip/loop that washer hose goes through. Also picture of the white “T” on hood that I mentioned your car has been replaced before (if it is working, don’t fix it).

The area by firewall and washer bottle, is a place “stuff” collects, a plenty.

BudW

Justwondering

Reaction score
BudW -
One of these days, should I ever catch up on my to-do list, I'm driving up to visit you in the forest in the middle of the city! lol

I had a bucket with rain water (since I harvest and don't buy water from the county).
I had a little nylon brush I use to clean my fingernails (about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide) bought at Dollar General.
I had Dawn Dishwashing soap (liquid, blue, says 2x on the bottle).

I removed the bottle, wet it with water, scrubbed with the brush and realized it was stubborn dirty.
So I squirted soap (full strength) on the side of the bottle, re-wet the brush and just kept scrubbing and wetting the brush til it was clean. Didn't take too much.

Used the same process on the coolant bottle. It cleaned up well, but the coolant bottle is a distinctively darker yellowed plastic The washer bottle still looked lighter and more white in color.

Do far, I'm not using detergent inside the engine compartment on anything. I'm still at the discovery stage and want to use the splashes, spots, wet, dark areas to diagnose further concerns.

I have used a clean sheet that was destined for the garden, to pre-clean areas/hoses. Just dampen with water and see what I can rub clean. I've already discovered there are some areas where the paint looks good but there is actually rust under it. When I try to rub it clean, the paint flakes off. Which is good to know so I can target some dremel rust removal and spot spray the raw metal.

We've had another 2+ inches of rain since last night and tornados forecast for the afternoon. Big surprise (not) for this time of year.

Becky

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
My computer wasn't letting me download the pictures, earlier.

BudW

Update, still can't download pictures, after I rebooted work computer. I will send pictures home and download them to here, there.

Justwondering

Reaction score
BudW -- you and the computer sound like you are having 'issues' today. That was me all day yesterday. good luck

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Pictures working now?

Washer Hose Routing.jpg

Under Hood.jpg

An area stuff collects at.jpg

Justwondering

Reaction score
beautiul pictures...
Looks similar to mine although blue instead of silver, and of course I had all those love mice pills and pieces of stale, half eaten acorns.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
On a side note, we received 2 inch rain again today (a drop every two inches).
About 1½ hour South of me (2 hours North of Becky), is a tornado right now.

Justwondering

Reaction score
We finally have some sunshine.... been cloudy all day; however, the wind is definitely picking up. It keeps blowing open the door on the south side of the house. I had to lock it to keep it shut. Just straight line winds though... no rotation yet.
--- Post updated ---
Well ... now its hailing. BudW -- you were supposed to keep this storm north of the red river.
Cripes!
--- Post updated ---
Signing off... headed for shelter. hail breaking window.
--- Post updated ---
Well then... everything is back to normal.
Took pictures of the rotation but it never dropped to the ground.
Hail was as big as 50 Cent pieces (ping pong ball).
Then there's the nice rainbow after its all over.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
We had supercells a few minutes to the North, a few minutes to the South and an hours drive to the South - but only a few drops of water here.
The Supercell to the North of me had definite rotation to it. The supercell a few minutes to South popped up and died about as fast as it popped up.
The storm closer to the Red River (Texas / Oklahoma boarder) had a tornado a mile wide at one time and (I think) killed a person. I try not to pay much attention to TV news (too depressing).

In Oklahoma, we do have exciting weather here – but most of it is known days in advance. In this case, we were told to be “weather aware” two days ago and again yesterday, because conditions were ripe for “spicy” weather. Generally the fire departments and other state government officials, as well as news channels has weather spotters out, on ground and in the sky, watching – so in event of a tornado, we generally have plenty of response time (an hour or more).

In the case of the mile wide tornado from yesterday, if you are not underground, you most likely will not survive (like a bug vs. a windshield at highway speeds).

The chances of a house being hit by a tornado is slim – unless you live in one particular town now far from me, Moore Oklahoma. They have some weird covert government sponsored experiment underground the town that attracts them (only speculation, but until proven otherwise, is my opinion).
Getting hit with high winds, lots of rain or hail is high.

About 90% of our tornados occur in April or May when weather is above 80 F but less than 95 F. Much hotter or cooler, the conditions for them to form is just not there.

I happen to have two detached garages on my property, one of them, a two-car cinder-brick garage, has a cellar made underneath it (which family has already made use of it a couple of weeks ago).

BudW

Back