Very interesting custom '78 Magnum

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I happened across this on EB. Very nicely done custom. Also, very unusual to use a Magnum as the starting point! Give the site time to load as there are a lot of pics.
1978 Dodge Magnum -- | eBay

201905030915-overlay_XS22N8R145171-60.jpg

201905030915-overlay_XS22N8R145171-7.jpg

201905030915-overlay_XS22N8R145171-29.jpg

201905030915-overlay_XS22N8R145171-30.jpg

Ele115

Reaction score
I would gladly take the car he started with, the $300,000, and the man hours expended on that.

89.Fifth

Reaction score
Yeah I saw this one in a magazine a few years back. Awful customization but interesting ideas.

Ele115

Reaction score
I have nothing adverse to impose on the talent or skills, just the sense of personal taste and a really profound lack of overall direction in general. The car seems to have no theme or flow whatsoever. It seems to go in 60 different directions. There are all these independent themes or genres fighting one another. It's partially lowrider, but then it isn't. It's got the drug dealer wheels and steering wheel, but it's got the leadsled top and window angles. It's got the late 70's skirts and flares, but the Jon Buttera gauges. It has some Bat mobile interior cues, or is it ZZ Top? What does this car try to be? All of those? None of those?

89.Fifth

Reaction score
I have nothing adverse to impose on the talent or skills, just the sense of personal taste and a really profound lack of overall direction in general. The car seems to have no theme or flow whatsoever. It seems to go in 60 different directions. There are all these independent themes or genres fighting one another. It's partially lowrider, but then it isn't. It's got the drug dealer wheels and steering wheel, but it's got the leadsled top and window angles. It's got the late 70's skirts and flares, but the Jon Buttera gauges. It has some Bat mobile interior cues, or is it ZZ Top? What does this car try to be? All of those? None of those?
Best possible description.

Ele115

Reaction score
I could probably really appreciate it more if they went for a particular style and dove in with both feet. I see low riders or 4X4's and they aren't my thing, but I will talk to the owner and give them a "well done" and chat. I appreciate what they did and the work they put in. They have vision, even if it differs from mine. But I care more about the execution and the effort than their taste. On this one, D+ for taste but their effort is really up there

Aspen500

Reaction score
You said it perfectly.
Ele115, You said it perfectly also! What looks good or bad is a subjective thing but a custom car has to have at least some sort of theme to it. I've seen cars that I thought were butt ugly that were built to perfection and cars that looked good that were cobbled up POS's on closer inspection. No matter what, as long as the owner likes the car, that's all that really matters AND those that see it at a show who don't like it, need to have some manners and keep it to themselves, at least especially when the owner is within earshot.

I still remember a buddy of mine had a '65 Starfire in a show and a couple a-holes were picking it apart and pointing out all the flaws, etc. My buddy never claimed it was a show car (it was a DARN nice driver quality). Anyways, he stood there listening and finally he'd had enough. He tells them it's not a show car, it gets driven and what car do they have in the show, he'd like to look at it. The guy says "I don't have a car to put in a show". He asks the other guy the same thing and he doesn't have a car either. My buddy just calmly tells the two guys "well then, shut the f*** up" and walks away. Classic!:cool:

Darth-Car

Reaction score
I see a lot of hard work in this car. The thing that always amazes me is the fact that these folks will build an exotic like this and forget the essential items like any thought of an HVAC system, or cruise control. Many times you watch as these cars cruise to their spot in an infield, or come off a trailer, and they don't even have working head lamps, or tail lamps. How can you perform car design magic, but can not figure out how to make backing lights work?

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I've NEVER been into show cars, I've been around plenty and most are cobbled up junk under the paint. I've seen stretched wire covered in fiberglass, bondo and nice paint. Just a waste, but they get built. Now if you have a couple million you can build a true custom that runs and drives very well. The magazine cars you see are in the million range. I don't know anyone who has that kind of money for a true custom. Out of my neighborhood.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You know, now that I'm really looking at the photo's close, it isn't built that nice after all, for a show car that is. Panel gaps are uneven, the top of the cowl is all blobs of factory seam sealer, the heater core is plugged off along with the evaporator, etc..............The trunk lid gaps are perfect because,,,,,,there is no trunk lid. I really wonder what it looks like underneath. If it was nice, you'd think there would be photo's, yes?

Years ago we used to have a World of Wheels show here every year, which is strictly show only cars. You find out, most don't even run. Some have an engine with no internals, same with the trans. Sure, the block and heads were smoothed to perfection and triple show chrome plated and that blower on top of it? Just a polished and chromed case. Gold plated brake rotors without a single scratch meaning, it has no actual brakes. I guess they were OK to look at, when I was 12 years old. It's kind of like professional wrestling, it's not real and is just for show.
To each their own, right?:)

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I look at the ratty looking striker on the drivers door jamb. Opps
I'd say if the original owner built it himself he didn't have 30k in it.

volare 77

Reaction score
I was looking at Counts Kustoms 73 Buick Riviera at a car show recently. I wasn`t impressed with the overall job on the car. Too many small details that should have been addressed. I have to say the paint was very nice.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
It's a "SHOW" car is what the add says so that's what you get. Points knocked off for flaws.:)

Aspen500

Reaction score
It's a "SHOW" car is what the add says so that's what you get. Points knocked off for flaws.:)
That's what I was getting at. A strictly show car custom should be flawless as opposed to a car that might enter a car show, and might be driven to the show. If the show only car had $300,000 spent on building it (if I read the ad correctly), you'd expect it to be perfect, regardless of the style of custom and theme, or lack thereof.

old yellow 78

Reaction score
I thought it was a tip of the hat to us FMJ folks that the builder would use a Mirada as a starting point. THAT, I thought, was an unusual choice. I'd love to see an F custom.

Trey

Reaction score
The Magnum is a good looking car in stock form. This isn't my cup 'o tea.

Back