Volare 77 /6 to 400

Projects & Restorations

1. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

I've got the urethane iso pads and they seem to work just fine. Zero wheel hop, even when the right foot gets a little rambunctious.;)

If I could do it all over again, I'd go with a small block. The original S6 to 440 swap was in 1989 (before Schumacher, etc..) and I actually had a 360 and 727 all set to go. Then a buddy said "if you're going through the work to put V-8 in, why not go all the way and get a 440". What a stupid idea,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,on the other hand........When others heard they kept telling me "it'll never fit", "it can't be done" and you know what I HAD to do then:D. The 440 became a 500 about 6 years ago and it's in there to stay. It's fine except the weight up front is obvious when you come to curves. It's no autocross champion by any means but I'm fine with that.

2. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

The 8.8 Ford has 3.25 axle tubes, so if you can't use the ones on the housing new ones can be purchased from Calvert and others if you can't fabricate yourself same with the lower plates.

3. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

Nice to know.

New shock plates can be made for the 3¼ inch tube differentials – and might even possible to use whatever Ford uses – possibly (not looked at an 8.8” to know).

All Chrysler differentials, for cars, vans and pickups (Dana 60 and smaller) uses either an 3 inch or 2½ inch differential housing tubes. All 7¼ inch differentials from ’60-77ish were smaller tubes.
    The ‘77ish and newer 7¼ differentials use a tapered down tube – which is 3 inch.

Not many FMJ 7¼ inch differentials are of the 2½ inch tube variant.
    BudW

4. Oldiron440

The 8.8 uses a bolt on pinion joint mount and more likely than not you will not get thi when you get you rear axle so I would get the drive shaft also. Then have that cut and use a hybrid joint to the mopar trans yoke.

5. Aka601

Aka601 Member

Thank you all for very good info on the 8.8 subject! Now I have to digest all this information and concider how to continue.
    Hope to get a few days of before christmas to go axle hunting.
    Just two examples so you guys can compare how lucky you are buying parts:
    Out fore sale is exactly twenty Explorer 8.8s in the whole contry at $ 450-600.
    The spring perches BudW refere to is $14.99 in US plus $ 25.54 shipping then sales tax 25% on top. "If you want to play you have pay"
    $50.66. Not complaning- just saying.

6. Oldiron440

I think I would hold off on the mounts and see how close the 8.8 s were, I would also be fabricating as much as I could. I personally find fabrication rewarding and self fulfilling.

7. Aspen500

Aspen500 Well-Known Member

25% sales tax? Holy you know what Batman!

8. BudW

Most all Chrysler rear differentials changed to a flat differential flange yoke (much like the ford flange) in the mid ‘90’s. This applies to pickups, vans, Dakotas and Jeeps – sense there were no rear wheel drive cars made after ’89 (until 2005).

I have “heard from a friend” who said the GM rear yokes are the same as the Chrysler flat flange yokes – but I haven’t even looked at one to compare (could be an old wife’s tale, for all I know).

The rear yoke from ’65 to mid ‘90’s:
    3732251.jpg

From mid ‘90’s to present.
    EB75019.jpg
    68083465aa Yoke.jpg
    Propeller shaft part.
    5183074ab Flange.jpg

Before taking propeller shaft to a driveshaft shop for shortening – I might recommend removing your Ford differential yoke and just see if your existing yoke might fit. If it does, then one less thing the driveshaft shop needs to do (which may or might not work). Also, a good time to install a new pinion seal at same time (which I would do, anyway).

If yoke wont fit, they will cut off end from the old Ford driveshaft and weld onto your existing propeller shaft when they shorten it (if it needs shortening, that is).
    BudW

9. BudW

I “believe” they call it a VAT tax (Value Added Tax).

10. Oldiron440

You can put a 1350 yoke from Strange or Morison on the front of an 8.8, there is good aftermarket support for the 8.8..