Volare Police Car Adjustable Throttle???

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I came across this ebay listing today:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/386980920180?
Screenshot_20240505-163444_Chrome.jpg
Seller description
"RARE, VINTAGE, PLYMOUTH VOLARE POLICE CAR, INTERIOR THROTTLE CONTROL CABLE WITH MOUNTING BRACKETS. THIS ALLOWED THE DRIVER TO INCREASE THE IDLE SPEED TO ASSIST THE ALTERNATOR OUTPUT. MISSING THROTTLE KNOB. CABLE WORKS EASILT. PLEASE CHECK OUT ALL THE PICTURES. WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE. NO RESERVE. DAVE"

My question is, wtf is this thing really? Did Volare police cars have a throttle control in the dash? This seems like a great way to install a half assed cruise control or a great way to improve your 60 ft and reaction time at the track by holding your throttle open

Aspen500

Reaction score
I remember working on squad cars with one of those. It was for the exact purpose the ad says. When drive by wire came about, I can recall adding a kit to a couple squads for idle speed control. No cables, just a rocker switch, a small module and a few wires. Flip the switch and instant 1,500 rpm. They were "smart". It only worked if the parking brake was on. Pretty much the same thing that tow trucks and other equipment with hydraylic pumps use. Anyways, story time over now, lol.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I remember working on squad cars with one of those. It was for the exact purpose the ad says. When drive by wire came about, I can recall adding a kit to a couple squads for idle speed control. No cables, just a rocker switch, a small module and a few wires. Flip the switch and instant 1,500 rpm. They were "smart". It only worked if the parking brake was on. Pretty much the same thing that tow trucks and other equipment with hydraylic pumps use. Anyways, story time over now, lol.
So, dumb question, could I rig this up in my Diplomat even though it's only a 2bbl?

LSM360

Reaction score
Use to see those on Mopar squads all the time (maybe other brands had them too I don't know).

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
So, dumb question, could I rig this up in my Diplomat even though it's only a 2bbl?

Don't see why not but what's the point? There's no reason for most people to use it and for any service type work you can kick the idle up from under the hood.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Don't see why not but what's the point? There's no reason for most people to use it and for any service type work you can kick the idle up from under the hood.
It goes well with my franken-diplomat build theme

Ele115

Reaction score
I have a 71 Ford with that. At idle the lights would drag the battery down really bad. Back then they didn't have LEDs. When they sat on the side of the road with a bunch of lights drawing 125 amps, they pulled the handle to raise the idle. The old Cadillac ambulances had them too, or one shaped like a wheel. Modern stuff is just programmed through one of the PTO channels in the ECM.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
I have a 71 Ford with that. At idle the lights would drag the battery down really bad. Back then they didn't have LEDs. When they sat on the side of the road with a bunch of lights drawing 125 amps, they pulled the handle to raise the idle. The old Cadillac ambulances had them too, or one shaped like a wheel. Modern stuff is just programmed through one of the PTO channels in the ECM.
The biggest issue is just figuring out where it comes through the firewall and dash.

I'm figuring it's a huge long shot if anyone has a picture of one of these installed in a Volare

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
I don't have a picture handy but it connects under the dash to the gas pedal, not under the hood.

Ele115

Reaction score
Some connect where the cruise control junk is and you can pull on it and lock it, so you choose how high the idle is. The big hefty ones are like that and it is the handle itself that locks, nothing in the engine bay. Those go right through the wall next to the throttle cable, or on the really old stuff attached to that metal rod. I really couldn't imagine wanting this on a car, but back then they were needed due to the battery draw on emergency vehicles. I just threw away a bunch of those "Student Driver's" brake pedal things. Same thing, serves a purpose for someone.

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Some connect where the cruise control junk is and you can pull on it and lock it, so you choose how high the idle is. The big hefty ones are like that and it is the handle itself that locks, nothing in the engine bay. Those go right through the wall next to the throttle cable, or on the really old stuff attached to that metal rod. I really couldn't imagine wanting this on a car, but back then they were needed due to the battery draw on emergency vehicles. I just threw away a bunch of those "Student Driver's" brake pedal things. Same thing, serves a purpose for someone.
Seems like a great addition to my silly car. Plus, I've driven enough old cars and I've ended up at red lights with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake to keep the car from stalling (although not on the Diplomat since I sorted it out) This is a great way to drive with one foot until I can get to a parking lot

wolfmandip

Reaction score
here's the only old pic I could find from a '85 NYSP Diplomat that had the throttle lock. My 1986 did, too, but no pics. No the B&M floor shift isn't stock and I sure didn't do it! :)

Both cars are from long ago, and both are sadly long gone. Hope this helps with the placement, I seem to recall it attached to the dash frame and then down to the gas pedal.

throttle lock.png

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
here's the only old pic I could find from a '85 NYSP Diplomat that had the throttle lock. My 1986 did, too, but no pics. No the B&M floor shift isn't stock and I sure didn't do it! :)

Both cars are from long ago, and both are sadly long gone. Hope this helps with the placement, I seem to recall it attached to the dash frame and then down to the gas pedal.

View attachment 53015
Thanks!!!

AMC Diplomat

Reaction score
Alright, who can help my smooth brain understand how this thing connects to throttle? It's like a game of tetris and I'm rotating it to get it to fit
20240515_162319.jpg20240515_162808.jpg

Back