Warning about today's Gas and Carburated Cars.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Like I said, I had no choice in the matter.
And being a math lover; I offered a conservative estimate. I probably saved a few thousand more.
And I've seen what straight gas from the old days can do when left to evaporate in your tank. It ain't pretty either.
The tricks are to run a sealed system, or when that is not possible, a stabilizer.Cuz you're right, about it having a short shelf life.In your garage it needs to be in a sealed container,out of the sun, and a cooler location is nice too.I stabilize everything, even fuels which claims to have stabilizer in them.
As to power; I have a hot 360 with plenty more than I need.I'm just a streeter.
As to fuel consumption; That's partly why I have a small cam. And I know what a vacuum advance can do, and I know how to tune it.When I'm cruising I have timing between whatever the engine wants,and,whatever it needs. This can be somewhere in the range of 21* to 47*, or more.
I have no complaints about E10. I rolled with it 16 years ago.

Last edited:

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I never had a problem with ethanol in my daily driven Fifth. But when I switched to ethanol free premium I noticed a huge difference in how it ran. Performance and gas mileage. I've never looked back.

Mind you all three of my cars are bone stock.
Sort of. :D

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
there are only 3 stations in my state that sell the gas you use Cap. One is 30 minutes away, the next 90 minutes, the last 2.5 hours. Not economical for me unfortunately. I have been known to fill up with E0 premium when I'm around those stations just cruising however.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
there are only 3 stations in my state that sell the gas you use Cap. One is 30 minutes away, the next 90 minutes, the last 2.5 hours. Not economical for me unfortunately. I have been known to fill up with E0 premium when I'm around those stations just cruising however.

Although I have a few of them close. The only choice I have is Shell.

Justwondering

Reaction score
About 10 days ago, after I replaced the first 3 vacuum lines and corrected the windshield fluid line, I took the '87 Fifth to town (50 miles round trip). Decided to give it real gas (no ethanol).

Two things made my brain fizzle ----

1. The station sells the gas but only on the full-serve pump. I haven't had full service in forever. It was amazing. I sat in the car and this very old guy comes puttering out. Asks if he can help, handles the gas, I pull the hood and he checks my fluids, cleans the windows, runs my card and brings me the little clipboard to sign my receipt. I felt like a queen! (I was dressed like a hired hand, mind you, but I felt soooooo pampered.)

2. I could tell absolutely no difference in the car..... for 2 days. About halfway through the next town trip you could feel when the new gas started coming through the system. I agree with Cap.. you can feel the difference. The 3rd trip, I got the ultimate compliment. 'Honey, what did you do to the car? I swear it starts so much easier and boy has it got some power!'

Such a small thing... a couple of sentences, couple of dozen words.... means a lot.

My big thanks to all you folks for helping me get this far.. and encouraging me to continue the journey.

Back