Water pump leaked - 1983 Mirada

Davman

Reaction score
Hi all. Everything has started this Friday, when the coolant leaked. I went to the garage and started my Mirada, and then I noticed coolant leaking badly. Well, I have disassembled my cooling and discovered the water pump leaked. Now, I was wondering if it's okay to grab an aftermarket water pump? Or it is not a good idea? As I am familiar with lots of afermarket things, yet have never had an aftermarket water pump. I do not feel like I want to deal with the repair of what's leaked, you know...

Joe12459

Reaction score
Most aftermarket water pumps are fine, as long as it is from a good company. There are still NOS water pumps out there, but I would have to imagine the bearings and seals have dried out by now. The aftermarket/rebuilt ones are usually fresh. Rockauto.com is a good place to get parts like that.

Davman

Reaction score
Okay, thanks, man! Cause I've heared of non-OE sensors, which are bad, and I was not sure if the pumps are okay... Because you see, it will drive me nuts if I install it and discover it's of no good to me.
I was choosing between this aitex off ebay (Airtex Water Pump - 1980-1983 Dodge Mirada 5.9L 5.2L V8 - Auxiliary Engine wa | eBay) $65
Or this from car-id - Cardone (https://www.carid.com/1983-dodge-mirada-engine-cooling-parts/cardone-water-pump-36803471.html) $35
Will check Rockauto as well, man. Yet I am not really familiar with these brands... are they good names?...

Joe12459

Reaction score
Okay, thanks, man! Cause I've heared of non-OE sensors, which are bad, and I was not sure if the pumps are okay... Because you see, it will drive me nuts if I install it and discover it's of no good to me.
I was choosing between this aitex off ebay (Airtex Water Pump - 1980-1983 Dodge Mirada 5.9L 5.2L V8 - Auxiliary Engine wa | eBay) $65
Or this from car-id - Cardone (Cardone® - Water Pump) $35
Will check Rockauto as well, man. Yet I am not really familiar with these brands... are they good names?...
Airtex and Cardone are both reputable brands.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
I have used cardone, I can't say it's not a China brand.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have little problems with new vs. reman water pumps. Now days, most water pumps will be new.

I do recommend getting a pump that does not have the several holes in the front snout.
The version that looks like the holes were cut off somewhat, actually have larger bearings in them. At one time, they were considered to be a “police/taxi” unit, but later in the years all went to the newer style.
318 Round hole Water Pump.jpg

318 No hole Water Pump.jpg

The police style is a much preferred piece.

Other than that – go for it.

Note: I might recommend getting some paint de-greaser and clean the water pump off, first, then shoot some paint onto it, before removing the old water pump.
They look a bit out of place without any paint on ‘em.
BudW

Back