What does an 85 Chrysler need to run

Greaseball42

Reaction score
I’m running out of ideas she’s got fun I know she’s got spark I shocked myself but it just won’t run when I got her I saw and heard her run with my very own eyes and ears he just poured some gas in the carb and she would jog a little bit but I’ve got gas and I’m not getting anywhere I’m running out of ideas the air pumps not set up and I don’t think the carbon canister is either fuel lines are rusted out so I’ve got the inlet for the fuel pump going to a Jerry can it’s ugly but it gives me pressure and when I talked to the guy he did the same thing but he had two lines going to the gas can when he talked about it I assume they were sending and return lines but idk can’t ask him he’s an idiot hate him but I’m out of ideas

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Did you check that the plugs are good? It should try to stsrt if it has fuel and spark.
Theres a chance the timing chain could have jumped causing problems.
It needs the computer on the air cleaner hooked up to start and run unless the ignition has been changed. Just saying in case you pulled the air cleaner off to mess with it all.

Greaseball42

Reaction score
Did you check that the plugs are good? It should try to stsrt if it has fuel and spark.
It needs the computer on the air cleaner hooked up to start and run unless the ignition has been changed. Just saying in case you pulled the air cleaner off to mess with it all.
I did in fact pull the air cleaner I’m not at the car rn I’m out and about I can take pictures when I get home because I have hoses missing like vacuum lines and how does the filter need to be to have it run

LSM360

Reaction score
If you haven't converted to standard electronic ignition like Mike mentioned, then you probably do have some needed lines disconnected

Greaseball42

Reaction score
846FD8AA-C1DE-4EC6-8138-3FE0A441BB59.jpeg
I’ve got these two missing towards the back right on the firewall and the air pump doesn’t have a belt on its pulley

Greaseball42

Reaction score
If you haven't converted to standard electronic ignition like Mike mentioned, then you probably do have some needed lines disconnected
Do you have a link to a kit because I’m running out of ideas and I hate the air filter computer set up

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Do you have a link to a kit because I’m running out of ideas and I hate the air filter computer set up

Look for 318 electronic conversion kit. Summitt and many other places sell one.

Just need the carb also.

You used to be able to piece the kit together yourself but around here anyway the vehicles needed to pull the stuff from are scarce.

Greaseball42

Reaction score

Justwondering

Reaction score
I’m near San Antonio
A wee bit too far of a drive for me... 6 hours one way.
Got a cousin near you in Hondo, but he's a crazy man. We're all taking bets that he inhaled the solvents at his job for years before he retired.
But if you are ever up closer to the Red River, let me know.
JW

Ash_Whole

Reaction score
is the compression any good? test that, it will let you know if you are wasting time and money on an engine that has a jumped timing chain. the plastic cam sprockets do wear off.

Greaseball42

Reaction score
is the compression any good? test that, it will let you know if you are wasting time and money on an engine that has a jumped timing chain. the plastic cam sprockets do wear off.
I’d have to see about compression but when I got her she ran with pouring gas in the carb

Oldiron440

Reaction score
There you go…

Justwondering

Reaction score
Greaseball --
Not to be sarcastic, but the search button/link in the upper right corner is your friend here as well.

Here is one example of several I found when I searched "vacuum diagram"

Rough idle...

I'm sure there is (back through the forum history) a vacuum diagram in the forums for each of the cars (volare, aspen, new yorker, fifth avenue, diplomat, etc) and no doubt many of the years.

But the best way to go is the service manual. I bought one before I started rehab on my mother-in-laws car and its been very helpful.
JW

Back