what got you into the F/M/J's?

ramenth

Reaction score
Everyone has a story of what got 'em into the car they have. So what got you into owning the F's or the J's or the M's you have?

My love affairs with Mopars began with Pop's '72 Duster. That car also got Pop into Mopars since he was a Ford truck and Jeep guy when he got it. He loved his AMC's as daily drivers and Fords for his work horses. The 360 into the Duster got him into examining Mopars and he liked what he saw.

As far as this specific platform goes; our family had a few F-bodies, bought on the cheap and willing to run. Many miles of great service out of 'em. But my proclivity for the M's started with Bad Penny. Just a great car to drive, in all her incarnations, starting as a slant, then going to the 318-4bbl, then a 360, and now an even higher horse 360.

For all the problems that car had given to other owners it never once gave the family a bit of trouble.

res1vw21

Reaction score
I got mine because it was $50 (ran and drove, I think it was back in '98ish) and I wanted to use the front suspension for my 49 2dr Plymouth. I was googleing Aspens one day and saw a '77 R/T, it was at that point I decided not to cut up my pile and restore it into an R/T.

Aspen Front.jpg

Aspen Left Quarter.jpg

Aspen Interior.jpg

Cars 078.jpg

100_0530.JPGr.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
I was a lucky SOB...go on a 3 hour plane trip to Grand Rapids Michigan to a persons house whom you have never meet before....3400 sqf house on 10 acres with a 4 stall 2 car deep car barn and three stall attached garage...have fun test driving the Plymouth Scamp you came to buy only to change your mind when he lifts the cover off of this one...:D

carlislescampaspenmisc090.jpg

carlislescampaspenmisc089.jpg

carlislescampaspenmisc088.jpg

MiradaMegacab

Reaction score
My father always had Chrysler products. He bought a Dodge Mirada in 84 and he wanted to give it to me as my first car. To be honest, I wanted a 87 monte carlo ss with T-tops. My father convinced me to drive the Mirada cause it was uncommon. So here I am with an uncommon Mirada and the first modification I did was to install Dick Landy ported and polished heads and a B+M 174 blower, a 750 carb, MSD ignition and a set of Hooker Super Comp headers. The 7 1/4 rear didnt like this too much so a B-body 8 3/4 rear with 4.30s went in. When the 904 went a 727 reverse manual valve body with trans brake went in. For my next beer induced stunt I will install a 360 stroked to 387ci and top that off with a 8-71 blower. It never ends.

8D5 Gran Fury

Reaction score
Traded a good core 401 AMC motor (still have one, so not hurting) and some cash for my '85 AHB Gran Fury. All there, easy 91K on the odo (never a cop car-was a fire inspectors car then bought by a friend of mine who is in his mid-60's), and I like vintage cop cars. Just kinda fell into it, use to just part these things out and scrap them in the '90's. Now, heck, I haven't seen a decent Gran Fury or Diplomat squad driving around for years

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
I saved this 1 from it's ultimate demise as a demolition derby car . I traded a 90ish pontiac grand something for it . Only paid $50 for the pontiac and tossed in some mud tires that I had ;

Lebaronbuildstartingplace.gif

old tired rebel

Reaction score
I started off by buying a 71 Plymouth Satellite.65 Plymouth Sport Fury and then a 78 Dodge Aspen which I miss very much.

ramenth

Reaction score
I saved this 1 from it's ultimate demise as a demolition derby car . I traded a 90ish pontiac grand something for it . Only paid $50 for the pontiac and tossed in some mud tires that I had ;

Lebaronbuildstartingplace.gif

I've had a few M- parts cars that I saved from the demo guys. I always got a kick out of swooping in and getting the cars before they could.

MeMike

Reaction score
Not mine but my son's :coffee2:
Here he is with a great friend getting it on the trailer for the ride home from West Plains Arkansas.
Donated and sponsor Bill Stone Construction Co.
We all know this great member Small block !!
Creed enjoy's the dirt track as I did years ago. the plymouth will be built for show and go, fully inclosed and 6 point roll cage :glasses1:
He will jump in here and get everyone updated :coffee2:

The last picture is his IMCA he raised last year

Nella%20Friends%20FABO%20057.jpg

Nella%20Friends%20FABO%20073.jpg

Nella%20Friends%20FABO%20107.jpg

Modified%2009%20Creed%20009.jpg

Dago Red

Reaction score
Math Wiz

For Sale: 1971 Dodge Demon "mostly complete....":thatswck: "good project.....":eusa_liar: $2500. I couldn't even recognize it!!

OR

For Sale: 1979 Dodge Aspen "runs and drives, needs work, V-8/auto" $250 obo. You do the math!!!:icon_cheers:

PICT0015.jpg

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
For Sale: 1971 Dodge Demon "mostly complete....":thatswck: "good project.....":eusa_liar: $2500. I couldn't even recognize it!!

OR

For Sale: 1979 Dodge Aspen "runs and drives, needs work, V-8/auto" $250 obo. You do the math!!!:icon_cheers:

Are you serious ? Lets see the pics of the demon , and whats the location ?

Dago Red

Reaction score
Liar, Liar

This was back in '95. This dorkweed's ad said "complete roller". I get there and this thing is sitting on its framerails; no doors, no glass, no frontend. He "thinks" most of the other parts are at his ex-brother-in-laws house. There is a clear title: his ex has it. The VIN is drilled off. For $2500 I can take the shell and "he'll try and get the rest of the stuff"

On the way home I stopped for a burger and grabbed one of those little "free ads" papers. The ad for the Aspen was in it. I figured the planets were lining up for a reason.

77kickinaspen

Reaction score
found this on craigslist and fell in love with the f-bodys i ownd a 73 duster and this car brought back memories of it. $1000 for her as she is in the pic with a 318/auto console/folddown back seats and the 70's ansen mags.

Picture 479.jpg

bremereric

FMJ Body Moderator
Reaction score
found this on craigslist and fell in love with the f-bodys i ownd a 73 duster and this car brought back memories of it. $1000 for her as she is in the pic with a 318/auto console/folddown back seats and the 70's ansen mags.
I wil pretty much say you..:hello2: scored!!!

old tired rebel

Reaction score

I never knew they had fold down seats, learn something new today. Nice buy.

77RTNJ

Reaction score
We had a variety of cars growing up. My father was mainly a gm guy when he bought new. He always got good deals on the mopars used though. The first mopar my dad had was a 67 valiant stripper. Manual everything, rubber floor mats, but dealer A/C with /6. Car ran forever till it got hit. Next was a 71 dart swinger. Nice car. its demise was being hit. Then the 69 cuda notchback. Always loved the 67-69 cudas the best, still do just can't afford them. That car my brother wrecked and then blew the timing chain. Couldn't talk my dad into keeping it, I was still living at home and in College so I had no where to keep it. My first car was a 84 shelby charger. Lot of fun wish I still had it as it was the last stick car i had. I have bought new only Mopars, except in 2009 a Hyundai Sonata,(long story). At least it is Mopar powered. I have always loved mopars the best as I became the resident mechanic, starting with helping my dad do a brake job at age 6. Always the easiest to work on and the most reliable. Won a few stoplight races with the cuda, even though it was only a 318 2bbl. Pissed off a friend who had a 77 trans am. I think my cuda had more horse than his 400 4bbl at the time and was lighter to boot.

The F's came out when I was 13. I thought they were cool cars, especially the road runner and R/T. Later on it was the CMX mirada that caught my eye. I like almost any mopar. I guess I like the way the R/T is dressed with wheel flares and spoilers. That always got my attention. We never owned an F but my father did have a 5th ave M-body that I always liked to drive. I liked it cause it was a great highway cruiser but had a pretty firm suspension for a luxury car.

This aspen is my first v-8 muscle. MY father was strict about not having that stuff around. To him a car was only transortation. Plus life always seemed to get in the way of getting one after I was married, with either kids or a new house, etc. This was a present to myself with some cash my father left me in his life insurance that we split 8 ways.

This car I saw on Craigslist around Christmas of 09 and they had just dropped the price from $3200 to $2500. Was able to talk them into $2400. My wife and the woman who owned it were chatting up a storm while I was looking over the car. She had already had an offer for $2500 but the guy needed to talk to the boss. She agreed at the $2400 as I had cash on hand already and thought we would do the car the right way. We finalized a few weeks later as she had to get the title notarized. Picked her up on the 1/10/10. I have spent most of the time cleaning up things and gathering parts. Just really need to start working on it continously. I promised the PO I would send some pics after I get here cleaned up. Thought it would have been sooner than later.

Kevin

MoparDan

Reaction score
I first had a Honda Accord one owner car, always serviced never, beat on. even with all of that it never ran right and was a money pit...I got my hands on a Chrysler Fifth Avenue and that was it for me: better ride, WAY more comfortable, I felt a lot safer with those big metal bumpers then the cheap plastic ones my honda had, the super loose steering and rear wheel drive made it more fun to drive, the list goes on

Back