Who Really Won The Wars?

Mcfly68

Reaction score
iphone 009.jpg
My brothers 71 that he has owned for 20 years...before the body restoration this last winter...as kids we moved from Vancouver Island to eastern ontario in a 66 bus...in December!!! for some reason that trip my brother fondly remembers and had to find one...I just remember snowsuits in the van across the prairies!! Love and maintenance keeps them going more than the brand does. His 5 year old son absolutely loves this thing

iphone 009.jpg

Last edited:

Mcfly68

Reaction score
So being the good uncle I am...and to keep the car spirit alive...I built him his own VW...fully wired for lights and sound...lol
IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Aspen500

Reaction score
Had a doctor's apt this morning and as I was walking in from the million acre parking lot I kind of looked what kinds of vehicles were parked in the row. Maybe it's a regional thing but I saw WAY more "American" vehicles than "foreign". I put them in quotes because what is really American or foreign anymore. Let's just say Chrysler, Ford and GM are the American ones.

An informal count would be at least a 4:1 ratio for American and foreign. This thread has had me paying attention on the road, in parking lots, etc as to the makes of the vehicles. You see WAY, WAY, WAY more American than Asian or European.

There's quite a few foreign makes where the nearest dealer is a minimum 100 miles away. Here's what dealers there are in the metro area (All with slash marks are the same dealership). Dodge/Chrysler/Ram/Jeep, Ford/Lincoln, Chevy, Buick/GMC, Cadillac/Honda, Toyota, Nissan/Kia, Audi/VW/Hyundai, Subaru. That's it. No Lexus, no Infinity, no Mazda, no Mitsubishi, BMW, Mercedes, no Volvo(since a couple years ago) etc, etc, etc. Among all the new car dealerships in the area the American ones are huge where the foreign dealers are much smaller. There has been BMW, Mercedes, Mazda, Mitsubishi and a couple other is the past but none of them ever made it.

My thinking is, there isn't a lot more Mopar, GM and Ford around here because of the makes that aren't sold near here, it's the makes that aren't sold near here aren't sold because no one bought them when they were here. The only European luxury brand (Audi) would never stand on it's own in this market. The only way it sticks around is being in the same dealership with VW and Hyundai. Of course, Mercedes used to be at the Toyota dealership and BMW the Buick/GMC (and Pontiac at the time) dealership and they went away too.

Obviously in this market there's also no Rolls Royce, Bentley, Ferrari or Porsche dealers either but that's a whole different thing.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It seems almost an even split here. Which is actually better than it was. But yes I'd say there's more "American" on the roads these days. I'll have to do a headcount on the way into work tomorrow.

Cordoba1

Reaction score
It's totally regional! When I lived in the Bay Area, there were less domestics... Try to find a domestic in these shots of my LeBaron in San Jose, CA:

1.jpg

2.jpg

And Murilee Martin from Auto Week was reviewing the Ford Focus ST in the Upper Midwest, and noted that there are no "foreign" cars in downtown Sturgeon Bay:

3.jpg

Photo Credit from Murilee's article about the Ford: http://autoweek.com/article/drive-reviews/2015-ford-focus-st-drive-review

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That's a beautiful Baron.....

Just checked the parking lot where I get my coffee. I'd say an easy 4:1 imports to domestic.

Darth-Car

Reaction score
Gas is low in the US right now, and I heard on the news the other morning that now is the time to score a deal on an import cracker box toy car. The dealers apparently can not give away the hybrids, and their like kind of un-fun, tiny toymobiles. The same report said if you were looking for an end of year deal on a large SUV, or a car with a big V8, forget it. These cars are already sold out.

Aspen500

Reaction score
Kind of off subject but behind the shop at work there's 4 vehicles waiting for the owners decision. 2008 Nissan Altima with the engine locked tight, 2005 Nissan Altima with a rod out the side, 2003 Jetta TDI with a smoked trans and 2007 Toyota Tundra also with a ventilated crankcase. Gee, I don't see any domestics in that list, do you? OK, there is a 2008 Chevy Avalanche with the infamous AFM 5.3L (active fuel management) that came in with a miss and burning oil like a pig waiting for a reman engine but that's an exception rather than the rule. Not too long ago a 2007 Toyota Tundra got scrapped because the frame was rotted out and the truck almost bent in half and also an almighty Lexus (think it was a 2005) that launched something or another out the bottom of the pan that got scrapped. I could go on. My point is, I see a whole lot more Asian makes end up going to the great parking lot in the sky before their time than domestic. Sure, we've had those too. There's a 1998 Chrysler Concorde waiting to be picked up by a scrap yard BUT it has 310,000 miles (yes, rusty too) but it's 18 years old not 8 like the Toyota Tundra (which has barely over 100K on it BTW).
What was my point again? Oh yeah, in my experience and in this climate, the American (and Canadian) vehicles outlast the foreign ones both in drivetrain and body/structure wise. Especially better than any Asian make. I think those are made from "Instarot" or something.

80mirada

Reaction score
I just finished rebuilding a Honda 4spd auto, talk a bout a piece of shit design. You have to pull the trans to get inside it to work on anything including the crappy undersized filter.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
A couple of years ago a local boneyard had two Fifth Aves. Very rare. One was pretty rotten and the other not so bad. I NEVER see F's or M's in the yards up here. They crush them as soon as they get them. Lots more metal in those.

Point is while I was there take a guess what the ratio was of imports to domestic. A rough guess? 8:1.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Just to make a quick point since we've touched on survivors....domestic vs imports. If we're talking daily drivers the only thing I really see still rolling are M's and the occasional F or rotted out Craprice.

For example.

20150830_135752-1.jpg

20150830_135752-1.jpg

kkritsilas

Reaction score
There is a brown first generation Cordoba (B body) with round headlights around here. There is a blue with white vinyl roof second gen Cordoba (J body). There are a number of Fifth Avenues around (all dark blue). At a local Tim Horton's I have seen a Plymouth Gran Fury (M body). All of these are survivors. I have seen a B-Body 300, but I am sure that is a restoration.

Kostas

Last edited:

Dr Lebaron

Reaction score
I see lots of M's, but know most of them.
I still some 70/80's GM/Furds being DD'ed
Just jawed with a Furd guy as he was checking out my DD F/A.
His was a 88 Crown Vic.
Some 70's/80's vans too.

But hardly a Neon anymore and only once in a while a DD K car.
All the old mini vans are gone.
But no old foreign cars.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I see lots of M's, but know most of them.
I still some 70/80's GM/Furds being DD'ed
Just jawed with a Furd guy as he was checking out my DD F/A.
His was a 88 Crown Vic.
Some 70's/80's vans too.

But hardly a Neon anymore and only once in a while a DD K car.
All the old mini vans are gone.
But no old foreign cars.

Same deal here.
Fifth's. The odd Dip. Vic'sand the odd rotbox Craprice.
Never see foreign over ten years old.

Back