Windshield wipers not working

80CordobaLS

Reaction score
1980 Cordoba, just tried the wipers after giving her a wash and the arms just stopped. I'm guessing that there is a plastic bushing somewhere that just finally gave up the ghost. Where should I start looking?

Aspen500

Reaction score
The motor runs but the arms don't move, yes?

Pull the cowl screen to check. If neither arms move, the link probably came off the motor bell crank.

Depends if yiou have regular or intermittant wipers, as to how the link is attached. Std wipers the bushings are easily obtained. Advice: If possible, buy the bushings from a Mopar dealer. They're a bit higher priced but also 10 times better than Dorman aftermarket ones.
It's a good time to replace all the bushings while you're in there. Easiest way is to pull the entire pivot/link assy out and work on the bench.

Intermittant uses a goofy cam assy at the motor, which is harder to come by.

Ark

Reaction score
Have fun shredding your arms working through that cowl opening!

Honestly those bushings aren't the worst job. At least they tend to shatter and dump the arm in the cowl space, instead of jamming up and roasting the motor. Spinning the arm with no load won't kill the motor.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
If it's the motor not moving one of mine the ground strap on the motor doesn't do anything. You can check that or if it's getting power with a volt meter and stsrt moving back from there.

80CordobaLS

Reaction score
It is the bushing on the arm of the wiper motor. Attaches to the main link arm. Doesn't look like the link bushings. And the FSM doesn't even mention or show this bushing anywhere.

wiperarm.jpg

Last edited:

80CordobaLS

Reaction score
Here's better pics of the cleaned up parts. The little torsion spring that fits over the shaft is intact, just not shown.

bushing1.jpg

bushing2.jpg

80CordobaLS

Reaction score
Well bugger. Just received the bushing from Vans. Doesn’t work. There’s nothing to hold it onto the wiper drive arm. It just falls off the bushing.

80CordobaLS

Reaction score
This was my mistake. The wipers for the 80-83 Cordoba are hidden, not exposed like Volares and Diplomats. It has a wiping cycle, and then has to park itself below the cowl.

Back