Windshields

8T2TOP

Reaction score
Nah.. Thats WHY i dumped my J... Even 75-79 style GONE and they made 1+million cars...

kramer

Reaction score
I will be making some phone calls tomorrow to some glass places to see if there are some still available.

Hayzoos

Reaction score
I had to call many places last year. So many did not even bothering returning calls, I suspect they could not get one for the m-body. Only two responded that they could do it. The one I had do it left a little to be desired, but it is in and not leaking.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
I had to call many places last year. So many did not even bothering returning calls, I suspect they could not get one for the m-body. Only two responded that they could do it. The one I had do it left a little to be desired, but it is in and not leaking.
I got an M body coupe windshield 2 years ago from Portland, OR. Forget the name of the place but the glass was dusty as if it was in the warehouse for a long while.

Ele115

Reaction score
I got one for a 4 door Diplomat last year from the local glass guy, I picked it up and installed it myself with butyl so I can get it out later. Was about $120. I will be repainting the car and it doesn't ever get wet so I am not terribly worried about water intrusion. I just want to be able to get it back out when the time comes. You can get them. The rear glass is the one that nobody has.

Ele115

Reaction score
They are available. Usually China. Most places are too lazy to make a couple phone calls to get one for you. I have a fleet glass guy that doesn't mind and I just buy glass and install myself. Some of them are also reluctant to go anywhere near an antique car. I know my glass guy is like that. I don't get it. They don't mind doing 350 pound windshields in quarter of a million dollar RV's but when you say you have an antique they start sweating. Find someone who doesn't mind calling a few supply houses.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
They are available. Usually China. Most places are too lazy to make a couple phone calls to get one for you. I have a fleet glass guy that doesn't mind and I just buy glass and install myself. Some of them are also reluctant to go anywhere near an antique car. I know my glass guy is like that. I don't get it. They don't mind doing 350 pound windshields in quarter of a million dollar RV's but when you say you have an antique they start sweating. Find someone who doesn't mind calling a few supply houses.
they probably don't want to deal with a rusted out glass fence (frame).

Ele115

Reaction score
That's a lot of it. Pull the glass out for some guy and there is no steel (or on Rolls Royce) no aluminum underneath.

Ele115

Reaction score
I haven't seen a Chinese one yet. My last one was Mexican.
The good ones. Hecho en Mexico are pretty good. I would like to weigh one next time I see a Mexico one and compare it to "Love you Long Time" brand replacement glass. I bet it's at least two pounds heavier

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
The good ones. Hecho en Mexico are pretty good. I would like to weigh one next time I see a Mexico one and compare it to "Love you Long Time" brand replacement glass. I bet it's at least two pounds heavier
1979 was the first year for thin glass windshields for the FM cars. It saved 2 pounds if I recall the tech bulletin on it.

LSM360

Reaction score
they probably don't want to deal with a rusted out glass fence (frame).
I was so happy when I pulled my old windshield myself and found zero rust in the channel. It's a dry car but I figured it could be rusty there with the trapped water. I cleaned the channel myself because I wanted a good seal so all safelite had to do is bring new one and install.

FredMcJoe

Reaction score
Yeah my 88 was rust free in there too. My other chrysler not so much.
I was so happy when I pulled my old windshield myself and found zero rust in the channel. It's a dry car but I figured it could be rusty there with the trapped water. I cleaned the channel myself because I wanted a good seal so all safelite had to do is bring new one and install.
I've read that the 88-89 cars used galvanized steel, that this happened when production moved to Kenosha. That might be the answer.

kramer

Reaction score
I am still looking and have to make more emails and phone calls most people don't respond back, one place in Florida will build a custom windshield to the tune of $2500. Ouch!

Back