witch 2 bl carb to replace the lean burn one

ChryslerCruiser

Reaction score
Carter BBD, I believe is one option. I would be inclined to look into a autolite 2bbl, I think it is. The Jeep 258 guys have more to say about that swap as they got a crappy version of the BBD. The Mopar BBD is quite good, other than the throttle shaft wear, which creates a vacuum leak.. fixable but not necessarily an easy fix.

Generally speaking I try to stay away from "remanufactured" carbs, Mainly because the price is more than half the cost of a brand new 4bbl, and the quality is suspect especially for the price.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
with the lean-burn system, the computer also controls the timing. If you ditch it, you will need to also swap out your distributor, for something more appropriate which will have BOTH a centrifugal advance and a Vacuum advance, and you will have to tune those to your engine.
This means that whatever carb you choose, it will be a bunch easier if it already has a spark-port.
If your current LB-carb has NO provision for computer-controlled A/F ratio, then you can just add a Spark-port to it, and get rid of the locked distributor, which is usually the problem anyway. Well not it most times, but rather the vacuum-can on the computer. They tend to end up with ruptured diaphragms, and then the timing advance simply goes away, and then the engine becomes a lazy, and even, a total dog, especially at Part Throttle.

Last edited:

theraif

Reaction score
i ditched the lean burn a couple months ago was planing a switch to a alum. intake and 600 cfm holley , but when i saw sludge switching distr. and i want to go to a 5.9 magnum so why spend $$ on a intake , has any one used a 1937 carb adpt that alows you to use a holley 2 bl

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Sludge is a symptom of lack of maintenance and/or poor warm-up habits. It does not preclude a worn out engine.
To prove the health of the engine requires testing; compression/LeakDown, and oil-pressure.
The engine can be chemically cleaned, without disassembly. and
you can/should, check your timing-chain slack, by rocking the crank against the cam being pegged against spring-pressure.
318s can and do go 300,000 with periodic chain replacements and decent maintenance, such as cleaning out the heat cross-over now and then.

Mr C

Reaction score
Depends of if the car was originally a 4bbl or a 2bbl.
When I swapped my 77 T&C I went with a ported vacuum equipped TQ. When I swapped my Diplomat, I went with a ported vacuum equipped BBD.

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Every small block mopar I've ever owned that was carberaited with a 100k on the clock was wore out. They needed everything.

MoparMuscleMan440

Reaction score
While you are eventually going to have to convert to a pre Lean burn electronic ignition anyhow, you can opt to do what I did. I went to Ebay and bought one of those BBD knockoff 2 BBL carbs, that sell for about $60 - $75, and bolt it on in place of the Lean burn piece of junk that is OEM. Even though your timing may not be perfectly correct while running a slightly richer mixture, it will run a whole lot better than it did before. I too, wanted to scrap the Lean burn carb that came from the factory, so that's what I did, and it made a world of difference. I sometimes hear a faint pinging when the transmission is in overdrive pulling on a grade, but that will disappear once the ignition is changed to the older style.

johnnyride

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have an 81 Cordoba with the Lean Burn and my carb definitely needs either a rebuild or a replacement. I saw from earlier that folks suggest getting a new to replace. Can anyone make a suggestion, what should I buy or try to buy. I went to Rock Auto and everything is out of stock. It looks like an Autoline c6216 carb is a good replacement. What does everyone think, any suggestions?

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Please stay away from (any) rebuilt or remanufactured carburetor - unless you know the shop (or person) rebuilding your existing unit. The chances of getting a good (to decent) one is slim to none (or, in other words, extremely high chance of getting a "sub-par" unit). If you perform a search on our forums for my name and rebuilt - it will explain why I feel this way.

Question: You appear to be looking for a Carter BBD - but is it for 318 or /6 (they look similar but are completely different)?
Next question, are you keeping the computer controlled carburetor or moving away from computer controlled?

I don't care much for Chinese auto parts - but this is an exception, if moving away from computer controlled:
Electric Carburetor Bbd High Top Carter Style For Dodge 273 318 8 Cyl 1972-1985 | eBay
This is a new Carter BBD repop (or knockoff). I have purchased a pair and other than needing to set EVERY adjustment to specifications (they come way off) - they seam to be reliable.
I hadn't seen a computer controlled BBD knockoff - yet.
i currently have one on my '86 Fifth Ave 318 2-bbl (which originally came with a Holley 6280 computer controlled) with the computer on side of air cleaner. The computer is controlling spark (like normal) and is sending commands to the carburetor - but sense the non-computer controlled carb is not plugged into anything, the computer appears to be happy. It has been this way for eight, or maybe nine years now? (I can't remember).

If you get one of these new repops, take it to someone to get all of the factory specifications set correctly and it would work great. If you don't know anyone, have it sent to me. I'll get it set correctly and will send it back to you (for the cost of additional postage).

In my opinion a stock Carter BBD (either computer or non-computer controlled versions) are better than the Holley 2280 or 6280 versions - but that is only my opinion.

johnnyride

Reaction score
Thanks, Bud.

I was planning on keeping the Lean Burn because I honestly don't have the know how to delete it and I've heard so many stories of how deleting it goes wrong. I'd switch over to fuel injection if I could find someone to install it correctly in the Albany, NY area. I have the 318 V8, K code engine. Are you saying that I can use the carb you are suggesting and not plugging it in (since it can't) as long as the specifications are set correctly?

Thanks,

John

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been doing it for a long long time now, without issue.
I highly recommend getting a new choke thermostat and getting the carburetor set to factory specs, first.
BudW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Autoline aren't that bad, they've been doing it for something like 60+ years.
No matter who's name is on it rebuilds can have problems so don't get one from someplace that you need to pay shipping on your own if it needs to be returned or exchanged.
Ditch the computer, it's not that hard to do and you could have problems and not know it. You're already part way there changing the carb anyway.

Back