WANTED WTB manual steering box

Status
Not open for further replies.

olddaddy

Reaction score
Contact seller
I am looking for a manual steering box for a 78 Plymouth Volare. I know there are different ratios, which one would you recommend? The car is an old 50 Plymouth wagon with a slant/6 and just for cruising around.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You can get new ones if you want. They are semi pricey however. If you're looking for used, the same gear fits '62-'89 all bodies. IIRC, the early one have a smaller sector shaft but with a matching pitman arm they would work. Most are 24:1 ratio. Most if the new ones are 16:1 but I see 24:1 also available.

Depends how much weight is on the front, how wide the tires and how big the steering wheel as to which ratio to use. Also, how strong and how old the driver is, lol.

Don't know what you've got for a column but if it's power steering, there's a power to manual adapter available.

Don't know if any if that helps or not. :)

olddaddy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and all the info! The car has the complete drivetrain from a 78 Volare sedan. I was thinking that the 24/1 might be best since I’m using the old manual steering large diameter wheel from the 50 Plymouth. Do I have that logic right? Or should I use the later 16/1 if that’s what came in the manual steer Volare? It is an automatic column, so I’ll need the conversation joint to manual. I will buy new if I can’t find used. I’d prefer to buy from another car guy instead of a vendor.

Aspen500

Reaction score
There weren't many manual steer Aspen/Volare made but, I believe they were 24:1 which steers much easier than 16:1 would, especially with the large diameter wheel.

Justwondering

Reaction score
It is so nice to read on a forum when folks are talking gears/ratios/math -- such a breath of fresh air!

No wonder I lurk around here so much....
JW

Shorty Thompson

Reaction score
Just remember this. When you swap your manual steering box will require a longer shaft and the number of splines are going to different. Be prepared for this and don't get discouraged.

Last edited:

olddaddy

Reaction score
Yeah, the norm any more is snark and abuse. Finding friendly knowledgable help is nice for a change. This car is a 1950 Plymouth Suburban Wagon built with the Volare clip up front and the complete Volare slant/6- 904 drivetrain (only 38K miles on the drivetrain). It’s sort of a Valiant/Volare in Suburban clothing! I appreciate the info on the steering box. I will keep an eye out for a 24/1 box and pitman arm.

olddaddy

Reaction score
So, just to confirm, the pitman arms are different for power and manual steering? I can’t use the ps arm I have on a manual box?

Aspen500

Reaction score
No, the manual and power pitman arms are different. What that difference is, I don't know. They are available new for like $20-$30 or so.

Mancini Racing has an adaptor for the column shaft. Couldn't get the darn link to copy and paste for some reason.

Last edited:

Aspen500

Reaction score
If you haven't seen it yet, in the for sale section is a rebuilt by Firm Feel manual box and power to manual column adaptor advertised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back