WTF is Ford thinking???

Duke5A

Reaction score
Well, everyone, including myself, can huff and puff, but electric is here and only going to become more prevalent. So, here is something that just came out, and it is interesting. I imagine that it would only work for city dwellers at this point, but for the city, it would be great. I expect that electrics are quickly going to become mainstream, offered in all sorts of configurations and, and as in most things, there are both advantages and disadvantages. Well, "Change Happens" (which I prefer to "S**t Happens"). An interesting thought that I had when I saw this was: "Humm, for $6500, I could have an F body in mediocre shape, or a brand new Ami." Again, advantages and disadvantages. Change happens.

I'm big Elon Musk fan boy and look at electric cars with excitement, but, that...no...I would do a cocaine and prostitute bender with the $6500 before I'd buy a POS like that. I'd still be out a car in the end and still have more to show for it.

Trey

Reaction score
We live way too far out in the country for an electric car to be feasible but I like the idea of electrics. Electricity can be made from solar, wind and hydro which don't involve burning fossil fuels or dealing with nuke waste. Although the waste from the rare earth metals in batteries could also end up being a problem. Another thing about electrics I like is the universal chassis (think of your old AFX slot cars, you just swapped your favorite body on your fastest chassis). That should save R&D for the manufacturers, which will make them cheaper for the consumer. Now if they can make the v-8 sound come out the back end and a quicker recharge, I'm all for it.

Opticon77

Reaction score
Remember mining and scarcity of rare earth metals too... so long as batteries are made of them.

Aspen500

Reaction score
What about restoring an old Citicar electric from the '70's? They're such beautiful looking cars,,,,,,,,,,not.
1975-seabring-vanguard-citicar-orange-new-tires-no-batteries-summer-project-ev-1.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
Tesla’s are all over Chicago. I actually work across the street from one of their service/repair centers (built brand new and just opened about 2 months ago).
Electric cars are a farce as far as I can tell at this point. The mining efforts for battery materials in delicate echo systems, the near slave labor conditions in some of these countries where materials are mined, caustic chemical exposures from long term manufacturing/mining efforts, electrical fires that fire departments can hardly put out when there’s accidents, battery recycling, the ability for people to hack your car and take control; all sounds worse than anything we’re currently doing for fossil fuels.
Hell, MPG could be better on all gas cars/trucks here but we have regulations to keep gas engines inefficient and refuse to sell cars that don’t burn enough fuel. It’s why Toyota can’t sell the Hilux in the US, it’s just too damn reliable and fuel efficient.
When I was at XPO the big thing was self driving, electric semi trucks...I want to see one of these trucks negotiate Chicago city traffic to make a delivery to a intercity gas station or a handle a snow/ice covered road with a grade. Just not going to happen. Not for a long long long long time.

Edit: that electric Mustang SUV crossover nonsense is just that, non sense. Poor marketing, the guy who came up with it and the guy who approved it should both be fired lol

Last edited:

Justwondering

Reaction score
One of the other 'hidden' costs of electric cars is the inequity of electric price per kilowatt.
I live very rural.
We have exactly 1 electric provider -- a co-op which charges nearly twice what the big boys do.
The big boys (atmos, etc) have the high-density city areas which are very profitable for them. They don't want or have to provide service to the rural areas. They do have to compete with other big boys in the city so their prices are somewhat competitive.
Now the rural co-op is the only game for us in the country. They charge what they need to in order to cover the extensive distance of lines, maintenance of the lines, and costs associated with us in the country with a small profit margin. Bless their hearts and I'm thankful I have electric.

But an electric vehicle for me means I have NO OPTIONS for cheaper fuel (electric) for that vehicle. I am forced to pay a premium for the car, a premium for the electric, and deal with juggling the errands so I don't outrun the electric charge.

Electric cars are not in my future unless and until there are significant changes to 'equalize' the burden of ownership.

Thankfully, I can just seed in more hay in the pastures and go back to riding a horse where I need to go once armageddon takes place.
ROTFLMAO

JW

Trey

Reaction score
We also have a co-op that supplies our electricity. I got notice back in Nov. 2019 that I had a "consumer credit" of $91. The credit is only available as a credit towards your electric bill. As of today, they have yet to apply it to my bill. I called them this week and asked when I could expect my credit. Their reply was "when the board of directors decides to release the funds." Not a bad deal when you have someone else's money and gain interest on it every month you refuse to apply it to their bill.

Every year since 2006 the "release of funds" gets longer. I bet if I didn't pay my bill for 4 months they would shut off my electricity. Alternative sources of electricity look more attractive all the time.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I don't know of any place with more than one choice of electric supplier. Where I live it's Wisconsin Public Service Corp (electricity and natural gas). To raise rates, they first have to show why the rates need to go up and get approval from a state department (can't recall which right now). In other words, they can't just charge whatever they want. That said, the electric rate is neither very high or very low at 10 cents per kWh (plus $21/mo fixed fee for service, $2 for low income assistance, 5.5% tax........) Nothing to do with electric cars, the natural gas rates are fairly low (8 cents per therm, whatever a "therm" is, lol).
As I mentioned, if they want to build electric cars, fine. Just don't call a COV/SUV thing a Mustang! It's the principle of the thing. It's way worse than putting the Charger name on a 4 door sedan. Good looking car, needed a different name though. The Mustang-E needs a different name and it's FAR from a good looking car. I guess time will tell if Ford made the right call or not.

Ele115

Reaction score
I suppose we have to contemplate what is better, being controlled by OPEC or the CHICOM

Aspen500

Reaction score
We don't need to be controlled by either one. The U.S. is energy independent now and is the largest producer of oil in the world so OPEC can kiss our you know what. As for the electronics thing, we could build it all here without the commies, and more and more of it is being produced in this country again.

If some people want to drive an electric car, go for it. It's a free country, have at it! As for me, I prefer gasoline power with the gasoline power sound. To some, a car is just another appliance, no different than a washing machine (just much higher priced). To me, and millions of others, a car is more than just an appliance to get from point a to point b. You know what I'm getting at. It's one of those things where if you have to explain it to someone, they'll never understand. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:eek:

MoparDan

Reaction score
Mustang SUV that's even worse then the Mustang II. screw electric cars and all new cars they all look the same and with all the technology in them all that stuff will fail and probably be too expensive to fix. In the 8 years I've had my current Gran Fury many friends and family have had to replace much newer cars because of reasons like that

Back