You'll Never Get Your Money Back

brotherGood

Reaction score
I'll say this...generally, when I say I've got a Diplomat, I get looked at like I escaped the crazy bin. Its known by friends as "the turd"..because that's what they consider it..a turd. The ones who pretend to care, get excited when I say its a police car, and assume it has a 360 or 440.

But, I was at Mopar Nationals, talking to Tom from Graveyard Carz. Backstory, he's got a 69 Charger Daytona that they restored for him. Absolutely amazing car. But, we were talking and he asked what I had. I said, its nothing as pristine as his Daytona, but its a work in progress 86 Diplomat cop car. He quickly corrected me in saying basically it was a car worthy of being in a car show. He had one and loved it. And that's the general opinion I get from people who had them.

I paid 500 for my car. When I daily drove it, I didn't have much money, but did what I could to keep it up to snuff. I'd take that thing anywhere, anytime. It wasn't until the control arm snapped in half going to work, did I think anything about such issues. Then, we swapped engines. 2500 dollars, and a year and a half later, we're still dialing the engine in. We're also fighting a brake problem that has existed between the control arm issue and the engine change. But, its not a DD anymore. If I were to add the amount of money that's gone into the car..Im looking at a minimum of 4k since I got it. Mileage has sucked, and will still suck, but I love seeing heads turn. And no matter how much money I put into it, Dad and I are learning how to build a car, with this car. That is priceless as far as Im concerned.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I'll say this...generally, when I say I've got a Diplomat, I get looked at like I escaped the crazy bin. Its known by friends as "the turd"..because that's what they consider it..a turd. The ones who pretend to care, get excited when I say its a police car, and assume it has a 360 or 440.

But, I was at Mopar Nationals, talking to Tom from Graveyard Carz. Backstory, he's got a 69 Charger Daytona that they restored for him. Absolutely amazing car. But, we were talking and he asked what I had. I said, its nothing as pristine as his Daytona, but its a work in progress 86 Diplomat cop car. He quickly corrected me in saying basically it was a car worthy of being in a car show. He had one and loved it. And that's the general opinion I get from people who had them.

I paid 500 for my car. When I daily drove it, I didn't have much money, but did what I could to keep it up to snuff. I'd take that thing anywhere, anytime. It wasn't until the control arm snapped in half going to work, did I think anything about such issues. Then, we swapped engines. 2500 dollars, and a year and a half later, we're still dialing the engine in. We're also fighting a brake problem that has existed between the control arm issue and the engine change. But, its not a DD anymore. If I were to add the amount of money that's gone into the car..Im looking at a minimum of 4k since I got it. Mileage has sucked, and will still suck, but I love seeing heads turn. And no matter how much money I put into it, Dad and I are learning how to build a car, with this car. That is priceless as far as Im concerned.

Well said.
You'll Git R Dun.

tallhair

Reaction score
I concur ... I don't appreciate Mopar guys looking down or or dismissing other Mopar guys now matter the body designation. I don't give a shit what non Mopar guys think but thing Mopar guys should respect each other. Ma made a lot of cool cars .. not just B or E or whatever.

Concur with your math Cap'n

... I'd listen to whatever the teacher above has too say too

LSM360

Reaction score
Amen Capn! The other ones that look at you, look at the car, look back at you, all with a perplexed look on their faces. Screw 'em. They are sheep.

Like you, it never crosses my mind how much I can sell my cars for. It is totally irrelevant. I do what I do for the love of the car.

Blackbirdsrt78

Reaction score
What I think is funny is say you get an A, B C, E shell... and fix it up....you'll never get your money back...pretty much true with any car not just mopars...When some one walks up and tells you that what they are really saying is " wow your car looks mint I bet it cost alot to get it like that"

on to my other point about our old cars and the money....

say you go out and buy a New car and payments are like 250 a month for it.. for 5 years...and end up paying twice the amount of the BLOATED sticker value. You will never get your money back LOL

roadrunnerman

Reaction score
What I like about the older cars, and I mean ALL the ones in the Mopar family, is that you don't have to worry about the car being totaled if it gets a dent in it as opposed to the body shop want to put on a new front clip or back half of a car like you would have to do on some of these new cars.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
That's true..plus steel wins over fiberglass and pop can metal.
I had a clown pull right in front of my Fifth while I was rolling along doing about 30 mph. I totally destroyed the rear quarter of his TOYota. I looked at my bumper and wiped some paint off with my shirt. Then I made him pay me $800 or I was calling the cops. (Stupidity fee).

tim berry

Reaction score
Just my two cents when i drive my 1980 cordoba or my 91 dodged150 i get stoped and the questions start . I love all cars but when some guy pulls up in a 70k bmw to ask what the hell is that i have to laugh

20140706_200102.jpg

20140830_180855.jpg

Back