You'll Never Get Your Money Back

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
If I had a buck for everytime I've heard that I'd be rich.
I talked to a guy last night about painting my Fifth Ave... He looked at my car and said those exact words. I said "I ain't selling so it's all good". I find it funny that because it's an M body as opposed to an A, B or E they automatically assume you're throwing money into the garbage bin....

What they don't understand is I happen to love my M bodies as well as my F and I don't really care about resale because once again....I'm not selling. I'm owning, keeping, driving and totally enjoying them.....and to me they're worth every but as much as the other letter cars. I absolutely love daily driving my Fifth.

I bought that car for $600, probably put in about $1000-$1200 on consumables like shocks, tires, U joints, tune up, etc. So now lets kick in paint, headliner and windshield and we'll call it $4500 out the door.....all in....just for a number.

For that I have a neck turner, totally reliable, incredibly comfortable car with everything done. A new 1 liter gutless disposable jellybean shitbox is what?.... $23,000 out the door?
Add on top of that that instead of having to drive some neutermobile, indiscernible from every other cookie cutter blob car out there.....I get to drive one of the great luxury tanks from the last heyday of great automobiles.....when cars were cars and not "vehicles".....

Oh.....gas mileage?
By my math, having blown $4500 as opposed to say $23,000
That leaves me $18,500 for gas......I'd say I'm coming out ahead..

Last edited:

greyghost

Reaction score
OOOOHHHHH YYYYYEEEEAAAAHHH, Brother! I hear ya! My brother from Tomah WI was at my place this past weekend. He's the one that sold me the LeBaron 10 years ago. I took him for a ride in it and he was very impressed! As a matter of fact he had that "I wish I never sold it" look on his face. I know what you mean though about getting snubbed because you got an M-body and that "what are you nuts? Why do you wanna dump money into that piece of junk?" attitude from people! That's one reason I like "Rat Rod" people! They can see a certain beauty in just about any vehicle!

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Yes Sir, I couldn't give a ratsass what people think of my cars.
I love them all....it's funny though that the non car show types love them too.
It's the car show poser crowd that mostly give me the attitude which I promptly shove back down their throats.

My brother in law gave me the "why are you sinking all this money into that old junker" routine. I gave him a math lesson much like the one I posted above.....adding in of course digs about his now 14 year old Bonneville that he paid around $36,000 for or more. Didn't like it when I mentioned the fact that he'd be lucky to get $2500 for it now. Then I reiterated my math lesson.
Hasn't bothered me since....

72Dodge

Reaction score
It's all relative. As an a-body guy, I get snubbed by the B and E body guys. But since I'm an FMJ-body guy too, I get to snub myself.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
It's all relative. As an a-body guy, I get snubbed by the B and E body guys. But since I'm an FMJ-body guy too, I get to snub myself.

Lol....true but you don't strike me as a snob.
I've seen all kinds of snobs....every make and every platform.
I find it hysterical when Mopar guys give attitude and look down their noses at fellow Mopar guys.....last time I looked all our cars wore a Pentastar.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
I like your Capn' Math class. if I had an a/b/e body car in similar condition and performance, I would have easily spent 20k.

Last edited:

72Dodge

Reaction score
Lol....true but you don't strike me as a snob.
I've seen all kinds of snobs....every make and every platform.
I find it hysterical when Mopar guys give attitude and look down their noses at fellow Mopar guys.....last time I looked all our cars wore a Pentastar.

Exactly. To me, someone who can't appreciate all cars (ok, all COOL cars, we're all snobs in SOME way) isn't really a car guy. I just simply love everything Chrysler created, FWD, RWD, 4WD, 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl, 10cyl, if I could have them all, I would.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Exactly. To me, someone who can't appreciate all cars (ok, all COOL cars, we're all snobs in SOME way) isn't really a car guy. I just simply love everything Chrysler created, FWD, RWD, 4WD, 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl, 10cyl, if I could have them all, I would.

The weirdest cars are growing on me that never used to.
I see a totally mint K rolling around my hood sometimes....think it's an Aries.
It looks so cool just to see it roll by now.
And everytime I go to my trailer I pass a Dodge Rampage in a guys driveway.
I'd but it in a second....I guess ultimately I can appreciate anything with a Pentastar. And don't tell anyone but I do like certain models of off brands.
But as you said......that's a car guy.

72Dodge

Reaction score
The weirdest cars are growing on me that never used to.
I see a totally mint K rolling around my hood sometimes....think it's an Aries.
It looks so cool just to see it roll by now.
And everytime I go to my trailer I pass a Dodge Rampage in a guys driveway.
I'd but it in a second....I guess ultimately I can appreciate anything with a Pentastar. And don't tell anyone but I do like certain models of off brands.
But as you said......that's a car guy.

Right. I had my fair share of K-cars in the early '90s and hated every minute of ownership. I'd welcome a nice example into my garage today.

Rampages were always cool though :) I lived in a Chrysler town (Belvidere, IL plant) and still only saw a few here and there, even in their heyday.

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
Rampages were always cool though :) I lived in a Chrysler town (Belvidere, IL plant) and still only saw a few here and there, even in their heyday.

Only one I've seen since back in the day.
Even then I hardly ever saw one.....this one I see now is mint.
An Omni Camino.....

Jack Meoff

Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
:smileinbox:

index-20-3.jpg

index-20-3.jpg

Back