Dodge Aspen restoration project for my exam in one topic.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Wow, seems that bypass hose wasn´t so long lifed because it got coated. I forgot to ask my previous post about MoPar Performance parts: I still need exaust and intake manifolds and was thinking to use only original MoPar or MoPar performance. I found out 2 intake manifolds from Performance, are they a "chevy grind" parts or really good ones? Then I found out that there are differences in rusting, noise and cooling in steel headers. Any good suggestions?

Kaitsu

Reaction score
My theoretic exam part: manual AC to ATC conversion on HN ( Aspen / Volare) Chrysler models:

On my parts catalogue I found out that there are Chrysler models F/G and H/N that share a lot of AC related parts. Therefore, after some theoretic examination, I found that the major differences are AC housage and inside of it that first needs to be replaced.
You can re- install all the other manual AC parts you don´t want to replace from your Manual AC housage. While you assemble the housage, you need to add AC aspirator-evap hose and AC sensor-aspirator hoses as well as the aspirator itself from FG lined cars. Install sensor assy and ambient temperature sensor. Last you need to replace AC blend air door servo to one that is from ATC system. Now you can close the AC housage and put it in place.

Second place we need to be is on the middle panel, where AC controls and Radio are located. Remove the AC control panel. Here I found that there are not so many replacements I first thought: The replacable parts are AC control base to ATC, fan speed lever, Rheostat assembly, wiring assembly to get the info into the microprocessor, and insert. The wiring assembly

There is no changes made to the hardware part on the engine room.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Heres the electrical circuit logic and wiring assembly installation:
img007.jpg

img007.jpg

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I rest my case. It´s now done and still a lot more to go. However, this was just one part of AC service and repair. I still need to do the practical part and then make it a working community.
Only engine, drivetrain, electrical, suspension, body, chassis and brakes to examinate. By the way, I´m now looking into new parts as the engine is now paid and ready for assembly!

This publication is copyright free material as it is made as student work. I´m glad if I could help someone in their dream of a ATC Aspen/Volare.
NOTIFICATION! The parts I recommend to use needs to be from F or G VIN- coded cars only! I don´t guarantee mixing J,E,T model AC component safety or working since it had its own pages in Chrysler shop manual as well as parts catalogue. This examination is not yet made true so there is no real life experience on how it works.

Last edited:

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I got my radio today and it looks terrific on the outside. However, I tried it out before installing it into the car with a speaker, 12 volt car battery and of course the radio itself. It has some weird malfunctions indeed: The wheel that controls the frequency wont move, however, the pre-selected stations switch with no problem.

The second one is in my opinion more interesting: when I put positive and negative cables from the battery to the 2 pin connector one way, lights switch on but nothing is heard nor can I insert a cassette without a reject, and when I switch the power cables the other way, lights won´t light but radio starts making that woosh sound it is supposed to. This way the radio also accepts cassettes but for some reason wont start playing them.

Anyone has a clue about what is it about? I know I bought a broken down radio, but is there a way to repair the faults?

Kaitsu

Reaction score
I left it at my parents but I can show you the ebay auction site: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271694906775?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT I dont know if it can be seen anymore, but its the AM/FM C-cassette multiplex dolby stereo radio. If it helps, I bought a monaural AM/FM radio while back but it didn´t do anything so can it be used for spare parts?
In case you can´t see the auction anymore, It has two horizontal scroll wheels for volume and tuning, horizontal tuning scale, and 5 chromed pre-selected station buttons. Under the scroll wheels, there are 2 horizontal slider switches: one for balance and one for AM/FM switch. On the lower right side there are cassette controls: push to eject, turn left to Fast forward and right for rewind.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
We got the light/cassette playing issue solved, now we need to get some sound from it: I mean, for example, the cassette is rolling and can be winded like normal, but it won´t make sound other than "woosh", either radio or cassette mode.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone! I gave the radio to TV/radio repair guy yesterday, he couldn´t say what the problem is. However, he said theres no component that couldn´t be replaced on that era radios. Can anyone tell me what does that red, one-pin connector do? I know that the white 2- pin connector is for illlumination and radio in general and 6-pin is for speakers, but the red one is said, according to shop manual, for C.B/electronic tuner. The radio doesn´t have either one of them so I can just isolate it?

Mr C

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone! I gave the radio to TV/radio repair guy yesterday, he couldn´t say what the problem is. However, he said theres no component that couldn´t be replaced on that era radios. Can anyone tell me what does that red, one-pin connector do? I know that the white 2- pin connector is for illlumination and radio in general and 6-pin is for speakers, but the red one is said, according to shop manual, for C.B/electronic tuner. The radio doesn´t have either one of them so I can just isolate it?

Yes, just leave it un-connected. I believe it was for a power antenna, if so equipped. Once you turned on the unit, the power antenna automatically went up- unlike the 60's 70's era cars that had separate power antenna switches.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
Hook up a mini lighted disco ball, that would be cooool.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Its just that´s the way, uhuh-uhuh, you like it? I actually do have a power antenna, its through a switch mounted under the steering wheel in the lower panel. Probably just an afterwards installment as I can´t see no recongnition on the manuals. I try to get some pics of the project as soon as the polar night ends.

Monkeyed

Reaction score

Merry Christmas to you! I would say that, yes, you can just leave that disconnected.

Monkeyed

Reaction score
you should be able to hook that wire up to your antenna if you want it to go up when the radio is on.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Yeah, I think that I should do whenever I get my radio out of the shop. Does it lower the antenna if I insert a C-cassette in the deck or does it always be up when radio is on? My under dash wiring is so messed up I really can´t tell how it has been...

Mr C

Reaction score
Yeah, I think that I should do whenever I get my radio out of the shop. Does it lower the antenna if I insert a C-cassette in the deck or does it always be up when radio is on? My under dash wiring is so messed up I really can´t tell how it has been...

No, the antenna stays up the whole time the radio is on.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Oh well, I think I keep the antenna switch so it doesn´t wreck anything now that heres -15C and everything is frozen until april at least. I´m happy the engine cranks and starts just as it would in summer and I´m not using any block warmers at all. Winter driving isn´t that hard of a task now that I got a hang of it.

Kaitsu

Reaction score
Now that Christmas time is over and gifts have been opened (got some inch- sized tools, cool!) I need to start getting accessories for my 360. I browsed through summitracing.com and found 3 intake manifolds from MoPar performance: six pack, M1 dual plane and M1 single plane. Six pack is out of option as this seems like awful lot of work with 3 separate carbs. M1 single plane was meant to be operated at racing speeds so it leaves me with one choice, the M1 dual plane, intented to operate from idle to 6k RPM. Anyone has opinions about that manifold? I already have the cam that I can´t remember for now, but I guess camshaft won´t know what intake I´m using, right? Can I use AC with these "performer" manifolds?

The other thing is exhaust manifolds: there are the conventional cast iron manifolds that seem to be OEM, but there are many manufacturers that make headers. What is the actual help of headers compared to manifold? I heard that cheap headers are a no-no for cars meant to be driven as daily shop runners, but whats your opinion?

Back