1969 Olds 442

brotherGood

Reaction score
Not much to update here, block is still in the shop. Currently sitting there with 2 sleeves and .030 over, trying to find pistons to do the final hone. Once I get that back, it'll go to a separate shop for assembly and dyno and from there Ill feel better about getting everything else finished up. Hopefully it'll be waiting on the nice weather..I'm tired of it sitting, ha

Aspen500

Reaction score
Sometimes that can be the worst part of building a car,,,,,,,,,,,waiting. My bumpers were gone for 10 weeks. When I saw them though, the wait was worth it. Absolutely flawless. Machine shop had my block for 6 weeks to bore .030 and finish hone to a 400 grit with plateau finish. Dummy me didn't realize they did it to like a 280 or something until 100 miles later when it was obvious something wasn't right. Someone spotted the problem in a pic I posted online (you know who you are and thank you again) and I missed it in person :oops: . So, when I built the engine again,,,,,and spent another $500 on rings, gaskets, etc, a different shop honed it correctly and only had the block 3 days. I sent the pistons to someplace on the east coast (forget the name) to be anti-friction coated which added .001" to make up for the .001" the honing removed, and they were back in under 2 weeks, but waited close to 6 months for the custom backspace Rallye's for the rear from Wheel Vintiques. The things that took forever were the frustrating part of the build. The other is locating those parts made from unobtainium, lol.

brotherGood

Reaction score
Machine shop has had my block and heads since May. We finally started getting things progressed, then he came down with Covid (nearly died)

As it sits now, were on the hunt for pistons. The three choices are off the shelf Egge’s which don't have rings available, custom pistons which will create a further delay, or (get this) small block Mopar pistons/rings. Once we get the pistons sorted, he'll finish the block up and hopefully heads shortly thereafter, and I'll get it sent off to shop #2 for assembly.

I've got wheels, need tires. At the moment, the trans needs redone (turbo 400) and I'm in the air on what to do with the rear. Simple seal change, rebuild and add Posi, or take it out and truck it up to Cleveland for a full restoration and add Posi.

It's only money

brotherGood

Reaction score
Been a while since I've updated this, so here we go:

FINALLY got the engine back a couple weeks ago. The original block is .040" over, has 2 sleeves, but was saved. Heads also needed a fair amount of work, but they're good now too. Being the Olds 400 G blocks are not well liked, we actually went with SBM pistons/rings for it. The rods were reconditioned, and the wrist pin hole on the rod was bored out to fit the Mopar style pin (floating .984 vs pressed .980 IIRC). Picked up a custom Erson cam for it, and am just waiting on the assembly shop to call saying they're ready for it. They're going to assemble and dyno. I sent the original distributor off to be restored/recurved for the setup, Coan is building a converter for it, I need to make sure the intake/exhaust manifolds can be saved, and am hoping the Qjet that came with it can be reused/restored as well. I'm trying hard to get this as original as I can, aside from big cam/high converter.

The transmission was rebuilt in the fall, with a Transgo shift kit installed. He said about 80% of the internals were junk due to being stored outside with the dipstick out for who knows how long. The rear end wasn't in bad shape, but I went ahead and sent it off to JD Race to have it restored/add a posi unit as well. Just finished installing it, along with poly bushings out back, and putting the new wheels and tires on.

At this point, aside from the engine, I am going to put new bushings/springs in the front end, have the new fuel lines installed (I'm not set up to lift the body) and hopefully get to tearing the heater box out to make sure there are no dead mice in there (carcass count is up to 7 I believe). My hope is to have it back on the road by Memorial Day. It'll be a lot of work, but we're close.

IMG_20220312_190209_005.jpg

Resized_20211215_203815.jpeg

Resized_20220308_142135.jpeg

Resized_IMG_20220304_201149_769.jpeg

brotherGood

Reaction score
Finally found an issue where being a GM A body paid off. Most everything on this car is "Olds specific" it seems and a lot of things are hard to find parts for. Initially, I had figured being the same chassis as a Chevelle and GTO, parts should be plenty and cheap..I was wrong.

Today though..we tore the front end apart with the hopes of having it back together in about 6 hours. I had all the tools, all the parts, etc..just needed to get the control arms out.

After 3 hours of fighting with a balljoint, realizing we forgot to unhook a brake line and subsequently broke it, and being stuck at getting the upper control arm sleeve off..I said screw it and went on the hunt for control arms.

Sure enough, OE style arms with joints and bushings are available at a good price. I bought a dang parts car for upper control arms for my AHB. Definitely glad I didn't have to do that

brotherGood

Reaction score
Haven't updated in a while, so here's a couple pictures.

Also, it finally fired up today. Not bad for 318 pistons..

20220827_183608.jpg

20220423_110855.jpg

brotherGood

Reaction score
...if anyone has paid attention to my luck over the last 12 years on these pages (here and farleys) this will not come as a surprise...

The first week of September, we went on vacation to FL while Dad was housesitting and had planned on getting the exhaust done on the car as well as the alignment. Super long story with that, but exhaust is still not done, and the trip to get an alignment turned into about a 3 week long debacle due to a freeze plug falling out, things on the suspension not being tight, and a wheel falling off while the mechanic was driving from one shop to another.

once I got it back, I spent probably 2 weeks trying to get it to fire up only to realize the spark plugs were being hit by the pistons. Another week plus headache sorting that one, but it looks like its been rectified (block was milled yet assembly shop used longer plugs instead of shorter ones)

finally got to drive it today (all of 1/4 mile round trip) and while it still has a few gremlins, it was nice to get it going after it'd sat in a barn for 15 years and now a garage for a year and a half.

brotherGood

Reaction score
A lot has happened since the last update...

Took it to work a couple times to continue finding faults.

Pretty well had things nailed down regarding what still needs addressed: something sounding like it's rolling around in the drums, PS front shock not hooked up, and addressing the tuning of the engine (in addition to little things such as no reverse lights, reaiming headlights, changing rear view mirror, etc)

Timing/tuning I believe is as good as it's going to get until I address a mystery vacuum leak. I'm betting it's due to the intake gasket, as well as the intake not being milled to match the block being decked. Sounds pretty good though..

The rolling around in the back I found out was the self adjuster screws. Only, when taking everything apart I realized things were in worse shape than anticipated (it'd already sheared the adjuster lever while driving, creating all sorts of issues).

Got the drums rebuilt Saturday, going to reattach the shock today and see if I can convince a buddy to help with the intake (I'm capable, just annoyed I paid 9k and waited 17 months yet still have open it up) but beyond that..its off to body work and get an exhaust on it. The little stuff can be done in no time

Back