1988 Grand Fury or... I like this video

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
@IndieDippy, can you take a few pictures under the hood and a couple closeups around the carburetor area (both sides), and post here, please.

I have a good eye for things being out of place or unplugged to aid getting it running better.
BudW

Yep todays fuels are NOT carb friendly. Carter 2bbl.
I understand the top line and the Carter 2bbl (BBD).
I don’t understand what you meant after that
Cake. Why at BS?

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
@BudW car is at a local repair shop now so hopefully they take good care of her. said i had a vacuum leak and she generally was in need of a tune up. i can take pics once shes back and you can see if they did everything correctly

8T2TOP

Reaction score
BS=body shop.. U said IT was at BS more upgrades or accident?
Just bustin nuts about tag bracket..
Cake=easy to rebuild Carter 2bbl..

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
BS=body shop.. U said IT was at BS more upgrades or accident?
Just bustin nuts about tag bracket..
Cake=easy to rebuild Carter 2bbl..
just getting a tune up as it was stuttering and stalling and just generally riding rough. i know you were kidding about the tag bracket but still i plan to get it off the grille someday.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
a few pics from under the hood. car has been running rough but only one stall as of late. i believe the clicking noise is coming from one of the metal boxes on the firewall. the detached hose also won't go back on

20190925_163222.jpg

20190925_163232.jpg

20190925_163318.jpg

20190925_163504.jpg

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
20190925_163504.jpg

The paper/foil hose (red arrow) between air cleaner and exhaust manifold is only used when it is below freezing outside – which aids cold drivability. Until it gets cold, it doesn’t need to be attached. Even like it is, it will still work but not to 100% efficiency. When it gets colder, you can remove that hose from air cleaner and go to an auto parts store for a replacement (which will be silver in color). Cut the new hose to length and it should slide on.
Those in South Texas or South Florida, where it never freezes, do not even need that hose.

Is this the part you hear clicking (green circle)?
20190925_163318.jpg

I see a couple of issues with your heater hoses. The year/month is usually stamped on the hose (which I can’t see in picture), but they appear to be time to replace (by appearance, which is not a good way to rate hoses). If they are hard or see any cracking in them, replace soon.
20190925_163222.jpg

This section appears to have some type of a repair done to it (white circle), possibly.
The yellow arrow shows a minor coolant leak from the hot water valve. A minor leak, but any coolant leak is NOT GOOD.
BudW

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
its either where the green circle is or more over to near the wiper fluid where the clicking is coming from. the one box with the plug maybe? i do have spares of that box just in case that is it. here if a video of it running rough so maybe this will help you pin point the problem. in this the clicking noise is very audible. the click went away with a good rev but came back soon after turning it off and on again after visiting the local super market complete with a stall at the red light. further revving did nothing.

Back