318 with fuel injection debate

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Go ahead and be grabby, if I needed it I would but I have 4.11 and 4.86 for my Volare.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
It is a bit high, but a person could sell the 4.88 gears for a good chunk of that cost.

The ’64 and older and the ’71 up B-bodies are different in width (wider) and perch centers are different.

The leaf springs might be a plus.

See if you can get measurements (and pictures) from it:
- Center of perches (I prefer to measure the far side of far perch with tape measure, then line up marks on your tape with the inside of perch closest to you (same measurement as center to center) – but sense that is not a straight measurement (unless chuck is removed) just do the best you can.
- Get measurement of flange to flange (inside of backing plate to backing plate (or best you can get).
- Get measurement from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface – which I think is easiest one to get. I have two ¼” pieces of steel stock with ½” holes on one end. I remove wheels, bolt both of my “sticks” in place, one per side, and measure away. If measuring from outer edge to outer edge with tape measure, then I deduct ½” total (2 x at ¼” each).

Another way to determine what he has for sale is to measure the leaf springs (center of front bushing to center of rear bushing) as well as measure the center of front bushing to the differential guide pin.

Sense these have leaf springs attached – getting those shock plates is a plus (and great to convert your car from the ISO-clamps). A pair of used shock plates is about S100 or so, by itself.

Also, having cash in hand and a means to transport it present – you might be able to talk him down a lot.

4.10’s would put a huge smile on you face for in town street driving – but it might get old, really quick.
I’ve not driven a car with 4.88’s to comment on those . . . yet.
I would “guess” there is a high chance of a limited slip installed, as well.
BudW

Oldiron440

Reaction score
4.88s you can literally watch the fuel gage go down as you drive, I have gotten $75 and $100 for used sets of 4.86 pro gears.

SixBanger

Reaction score
I do highly encourage to use shielded wiring for your fuel injection system, to protect from electrical signal interference.

Great tip. But be sure to connect shield to specified connection on ecu and NOT on earth.

Back