360 Engine timing

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ok where is a good safe place to start with my engine timing?

I have an unknown engine package but for those who have seen my post will know I have posted a few vids of it idling

360 What do you think?

I do not know how to tell what cam is in it, not really interested in taking it out but its bigger than stock and probably bigger then I would of personally put in.

Using a very unscientific way of working out what cam I have I have been listening to other 360 mopars idling on you tube, it sounds like a 230/230 .450 to .480 type cam but hey its very unscientific.

At the moment I got it going and then advance it a bit and left it at that, I have not run the timing light over it yet.

Thanks
Bruce

Aspen500

Reaction score
A good place to start would be 10 BTDC and go from there. A better way is to find out what the total mechanical advance is and set it to 34 BTDC (for example) and then see what the initial is. Without recurving the distributor it's tough to get optimum. In any case, you don't want to exceed a certain amount of total mechanical advance or you'll run into spark knock, detonation and/or less than potential hp and torque. The vacuum advance will of course take it beyond that number but it's only functional at cruise and light accel.

I'm kind of memory challenged on what the typical Mopar small block likes for total (it's been a while) so the 34 degrees I threw out there may be too much or not enough.

wvdodgemirada

Reaction score
From what ive learned you set for total timing, Small blocks like between 34-36 is a good place to start. You can always run less, but you wont be getting optimal performance. Mine likes 37 total. By doing this though you may end up with to much initial, in which case you can recurve the distributor to give you more mechanical advance and this lowers your initial. Just so we are clear Initial + Mechanical = Total timing.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I have a timing light that I can dial in how many degrees I want, would I be safe in setting it to 34 and then shining the light on the timing marks and set it for 0 degrees? (never used this toy before its brand new timing light that has been in my cupboard for a while) with a few thousand RPM on of course :)

Aspen500

Reaction score
Yep, that'll do it. As for optimum total, every engine is different so you'll have to experiment to find the best setting. There is a lot you can do to the distributor like change the length of the advance slots by either filing slightly longer or MIG welding and filing to go shorter and of course, the springs. Finding the perfect total advance that gives a good initial that won't cause problems (like starter kick back) and then the perfect total AND how fast it comes in and at what RPM takes a while.

80mirada

Reaction score
There are limiter plates available for Mopar distributors available . I would shoot for 34-36 degrees at 2000-2500 rpm as a start.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Ok Dialed in 34 degrees on my timing light and set it at that, should be good to go, looked like idle was about 12 degrees, seemed to start ok at 12, my dizzy is one of those Proform with a performance curve in it, what ever that means, doesn't seem to have to rev its nut off to get full advance having said that guessing RPM is near impossible, have ordered a Rev counter to mount in the car.

Back