383, A sense of direction

Voeltagear

Reaction score
I’ll be getting my hands on a 1968, 383 B short block in the next couple of days. Block, rods, crank and caps, magnafluxed, tanked and cleaned up, ready to rebuild at standard bore. I plan on keeping it at the stock 4.25” bore and building what would be a relatively stock 383; probably cut some weight with aluminum heads, aluminum intake and headers. Plan to stick a 727 behind it with the 8.25” rear end and 3.23 gears I have in the garage. Keep things relatively mild and basic overall, nothing special at all realistically.
I wanted to go for a build that will easily move the weight of an M body (with or without highway gears) and give me the over HP/TQ I’m looking for without necessarily being a performance build and a 383 will get me just that.
I’ve done a bunch of googling and reading online about BB swaps in the last year but haven’t ever attempted one first hand. So, if any of you have tips, tricks or part advice that will make things easier that you’d like to share, I’m all ears and appreciate it.
This puts me closer to finally parking my Fifth Ave and making it a legit long term project...maybe in the springtime I can find a nice 90s New Yorker or Dynasty to be my new daily.
The 383 can make factory 440 power numbers without going overboard on modifications. Simple port clean up, fresh rings, the right camshaft and a good set of headers will do it. Check out Nick's Garage on YouTube. Maybe give him a call. He sounds like he loves the rb mopar motors even though he builds all makes of engines.

Duke5A

Reaction score
No worries, we all have those days. I appreciate the input. I have the stock TC from the Magnum too, would just rather run the high stall if it can be made to work.

Cheers and Happy Easter.

How high of a stall are we talking? Does the Magnum still have its factory cam?

Camtron

Reaction score
How high of a stall are we talking? Does the Magnum still have its factory cam?
Factory cam in the Mag, high stall is rated for 2,250-2,500. Nothing too crazy over stock.

Camtron

Reaction score
You know, it maybe 2,500-2,800. I really don’t remember any more. Nothing too crazy either way.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Someone else may chime in, but I would give the factory tc a try. That factory cams begins making torque off idle and is all done by 5k.

Camtron

Reaction score
Someone else may chime in, but I would give the factory tc a try. That factory cams begins making torque off idle and is all done by 5k.
It’s actually lower stall than I thought. Only 2,000-2,300.

Camtron

Reaction score
So, where can I get the correct 360LA style spool mounts?
Short of an Ebay seller listing a pair at $260, Everything else I have seen have been for 318LA, which I have on the 318LA that’s in the car now. However, from what I understand, It’s the 360 driver mount that’s needed particularly to make the engine sit correctly.

Duke5A

Reaction score
So, where can I get the correct 360LA style spool mounts?
Short of an Ebay seller listing a pair at $260, Everything else I have seen have been for 318LA, which I have on the 318LA that’s in the car now. However, from what I understand, It’s the 360 driver mount that’s needed particularly to make the engine sit correctly.
Reuse the old mounts if they're in good shape. The driver's side can be shimmed with washers on the block ear. Passenger side bolts right on.

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
Reuse the old mounts if they're in good shape. The driver's side can be shimmed with washers on the block ear. Passenger
Cool,cool,cool.
Have block painted, new brass freeze plugs in and center sump pick up installed. Deck and bottom are clean and ready for gaskets.
Still have to get timing kit on, disassemble heads and clean and paint them, reassemble them with new valve guide seals and get everything buttoned up.

Just looking at the Chrysler Corp blue block with shiny new brass freeze plugs and clean black oil pan mocked on it looked so much better. Just need to finish it and get it into the car so I can enjoy the extra 105HP.

Duke5A

Reaction score
Was the old motor a factory cam'd 318? Going to be more than 105. A lot more.

Camtron

Reaction score
God damn, the Pro Gear timing kit I used is tight. Went without the tensioner, wouldn’t have been able to get the chain on with it.
Got rockers pulled off. Will finish stripping heads down tomorrow and get them cleaned up and primed and painted. Was thinking about painting them aluminum/silver, but I do like that Chrysler Corp blue. Gotta finish degreasing and stripping my factory timing cover and get that ready for paint. Then I can get the oil pan all closed up and throw the top end all back together and call it done.
I go back to work Monday and wanted to get the engine in the car before then, but with a 6month old running around, I haven’t had the time that I thought I would.

Oh well, not like there’s anything wrong with the engine that’s in the car...doesn’t look half bad mocked up.

C3099F8F-63A6-4E80-9471-08940F8EBAC8.jpeg

33F7360B-5C6F-4591-95BE-1180CDEE926B.jpeg

Back