5th Ave tops

SouthBay

Reaction score
Question for the 5th Ave guys mostly. My leather top is trashed and I want to eventually replace it when I repaint the car. The previous owner did a hideous backyard paintjob with no clear coat.

For the top though, has anyone used anything aside from leather again? Maybe vinyl or that thick cloth stuff on newer Lincolns and Cadillacs. I'd be worried about the replacement leather getting ruined again, especially with the Texas heat.

Anyone have a different solution for replacing the leather top?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The top was originally vinyl to begin with so if yours is really leather it was already changed before. No problem at all going back to vinyl again.
No matter what you use it'll last about the same time if it's always kept outside.

Aspen500

Reaction score
You can use 303 Protectant and it'll extend the vinyl top life. You apply it and wipe until dry. It won't attract dirt or make oily streaks down the side of the car when it rains and it'll protect the vinyl from the sun.
I've used it on the vinyl bed cover on my '96 Dakota for 22 years and the cover still looks almost new still. I tried Armor-All when I 1st bought the truck and the cover looked great until,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it rained. Then I spent all sorts of time cleaning oily streaks off the sides of the bed. tailgate and bumper. Never made that mistake again! LOL

Camtron

Reaction score
Joann fabric offers a vinyl specifically for boats that is UV and water resistant, mold resistant ect...that I would think of using (with appropriate foam backing) if I was going to have a new roof stitched together and installed by a shop (or whatever material the shop recommends).
https://www.joann.com/marine-vinyl/prd23669.html
I’ve also used it to reupholster some of my interior panels. Pain to stretch but comes out looking sharp if you’re patient and take your time cleaning and preparing the surfaces for glue.
I believe @Justwondering replaced her vinyl with a pre stitched replacement cover. She maybe able to provide a link or pointers.

SouthBay

Reaction score
Joann fabric offers a vinyl specifically for boats that is UV and water resistant, mold resistant ect...that I would think of using (with appropriate foam backing) if I was going to have a new roof stitched together and installed by a shop (or whatever material the shop recommends).
https://www.joann.com/marine-vinyl/prd23669.html
I’ve also used it to reupholster some of my interior panels. Pain to stretch but comes out looking sharp if you’re patient and take your time cleaning and preparing the surfaces for glue.
I believe @Justwondering replaced her vinyl with a pre stitched replacement cover. She maybe able to provide a link or pointers.

That sounds more like something I'm looking for. Has anyone done this before?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
The marine vinyl sounds like a good idea if you can find a suitable color. Check locally too because that's the sort of stuff you can usually buy or order thru local marine stores. They also have decent vinyl protectant to use. Anything non silicone based is what you want. Armorall is the worst thing to use.

SouthBay

Reaction score
Is it weird that it shows for 82-86? I though only the '89 year tops were different. But that's alot cheaper than I thought it would be. I wonder what the quality is like.

After reading through the threads that were shared I might have a professional redo the top. I'm far from capable of doing that myself. But I still like the Marine vinyl.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Southbay --
you can do it yourself.
That was my very first time to do anything non-mechanical with my fifth avenue.
I'd never used contact cement before, didn't know anything about how the pieces fit together, didn't take pictures of things BEFORE I took them apart.

Really the only problem I had was being in too much a hurry to finish the bonnet covering and not taking time to audition it first before I cut it too short.

I've since watched folks in videos that work with the vinyl putting it on dashes and steering wheels, etc. I was much too timid when I did mine. I could have pulled & eased it more and all the seams would have laid perfect.

But it is a time sink, and since Austin is more warm and more humid than where I am in northeast texas, I certainly understand outsourcing it.

JW

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Is it weird that it shows for 82-86? I though only the '89 year tops were different. But that's alot cheaper than I thought it would be. I wonder what the quality is like.

After reading through the threads that were shared I might have a professional redo the top. I'm far from capable of doing that myself. But I still like the Marine vinyl.

88-89 are different. All the other years are the same except the two tone cars which also aren't quite like 88-89s either.

Get a quote locally first. They would be more then what the online top is but the difference in price might be worth the time and hassle you save not doing it yourself.

SonOfaTomP

Reaction score
i always wondered what it'd be like if someone did a Fifth Up like this
H_nQBuDIzR40Z3XT_7mhCj73D9un2VZ5vmuTdufejggy4dYKwk5OeDVU-Upn36DHyDzSUpErYbuLyv6fC5D7wrhzUUCY5U0w.jpg

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Someone could always buy some stick on flower print shelf paper and find out. Could test it on a diplomat too:eek:

SouthBay

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking. Not necessarily flower print, but something different like that.

Back