61 Pontiac Tempest Project

Camtron

Reaction score
Have any pictures of the rope drive? Sounds like it was 3/4” Rod made from a mild or high carbon spring steel with a couple yokes attached directly to it without U joints or anything. You maybe able to make or have something made to replace it relatively easily.
It would be cool to see one of these put back on the road. They were one of John Deloreans first projects and have quite a bit of engineering (for its time) to the drivetrain and rear suspension.

Aspen500

Reaction score
I may have told you this a few months ago but in case I forgot, the lead I had on a possible manual trans rope drive parts car, didn't pan out.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Camtron ....
I'll see if I can pull it over sometime over the next 2 weeks. Its supposed to be warmer than normal so I'm going to put the time to good use.

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
I got curious and looked up the Tempest driveshaft. It's a forged SAE 8660 triple alloy steel that was shot peened, magnafluxed and coated with a flexible anti-corrosion/ anti-scratch protectant. Basically it's a long torsion bar. It runs inside a torque tube that connects the engine to the transaxle, similar to the newer Corvette's. To have a new shaft made would be pretty much impossible and, of course, you can't shorten an automatic shaft to fit a manual trans car either. It runs in an arc (3" lower in the center) and works similar to a speedo cable kind of.
Tempest-Driveline.jpg

Camtron

Reaction score
and it’s confirmed an automatic car.

Last edited:

Camtron

Reaction score
And no, it wouldn’t be pretty much impossible to have one made, just expensive.

Camtron

Reaction score
Kind of the same thing, lol I'm sure it wouldn't just be expensive, it would be EXTREMELY expensive. :eek:
The steel I could actually help with. Years ago at a previous job, I was the maintenance manager for a steel company here in, Illinois. They have a branch in, Dallas also, and I’m fairly confident I could get the Midwest regional manager to help me out, we’re still pretty friendly.
Now finding a shop that can work the length and cut the splines, that could be a more difficult and expensive road block. Having a new torque tube fabricated would be relatively easy, but again, likely expensive.

If it was me, knowing what I know now, I’d start lookin into a drivetrain swap...Or, just do a body swap and put it onto a Chevy S-10, lol. Will be easier than getting a rope drive.

Justwondering

Reaction score
Camtron -- I've been thinking the same thing. I'd have to cut the floor to accommodate the transmission bell housing. A dodge dakota has about the right length. I have an old dodge dakota; however, its got a 4wheel drive and no way am I giving up that winch and 4wd for a makeover. However, I'll bet I could do a swap and trade the unused guts to the 'little indian' forum. Like Aspen500 says, its just a matter of money (and time).

JW

Aspen500

Reaction score
With enough money and time, ANYTHING is possible. Well, that's what they say, I've never tested it myself, lol.

Back