7.25 to 8.25 in a J

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I am feeling a bit wounded, had prop shaft shorted, balance and fit 2 crosses and I hope your sitting down for this , take a deep breath, here we go $355.90

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Yup! Feel I could of bought one out of the USA and had it shipped to me for that!

A rebuilt magnum engine is about $5000 here, on ebay about $1500 for a stock rebuild!

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Yeah the joys of loving old mopars down under, I will end up having to sell a kidney to fund the project! Anyway my blow by blow progress report, exhaust back on, shocks in, hydraulic brake lines hooked up. Found the brake cables won't work so have to swap them over, grrrr means pulling the brakes apart! No way around it just gota do it, so got one out and gave up and went to bed :)

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.
At least you don’t have to bleed them, again.

On the driveshaft, I’ve never had to have one made or cut down before. I guess I’ve been lucky to find one the correct length and U-joint to fit. Now that I’ve said that, my luck may have changed.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
You have one advantage over me, you live in the land of plentiful mopar parts, I think there is only one other J body in NZ and I have seen 2 M body fifth avenues so parts are non existent down here! Can get engine parts and trans parts, but rear ends, body parts, glass etc all has to come from the makers home land.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
I am so close to getting this package together, I have never done a rear end swap before so going to be interesting how much it changes the car going from a 2.2 to a 3.21 and going from a weak smogger 318 to non smogged 360 with cam, 4bbl intake and carb and headers!

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Any of the above will make a difference.
Combined, makes it a new car.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
OK picked up prop shaft its bang on 52.5"

My garage, its a mess 7m x 7m, high lift jack, 210amp mig welder, drill press, metal band saw, SK and sydchrome tools, 2m work bench, big vice. I bust all sorts of stuff and fix it again but I am no expert.

I have built a few boat trailers, exhaust systems, maranised engines so i get up to some intetesting stuff in my garage

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Rear end is in!! Found and easy way to get those clips off the park brake. Take bottom spring off, take auto adjust cable off adjuster, drop adjuster, open shoes at bottom a little, get pliers in there and pull spring back, get finger in there and push it out of the lock, slip a 14mm ring over the clip then, tap the ring spanner on with a screw driver, then there is a we cut out in the cable holder you can put your screw driver on and tap tap and its out, easy as total of 5 mins but took me to the 3rd time to work this out :)

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Here are some pics, you can see the screw driver has good access, then how 14mm ring fits perfect, then where you can locate driver to tap out. Very easy and quick.

IMG_20160723_091750.jpg
IMG_20160723_091815.jpg
IMG_20160723_091737.jpg

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Just got addco rear anti sway bar in! Not to hard. Notice my Axel stands, scissor jack and wood under the car. Don't want to get squashed. Just need to do front bar!

What else can I do?? Its had ff type steering gear upgrade, solid sub frame isolators, ff top A arms, new ball joints and tie rod sleeves, kyb gas shocks all round, 7.25" 2.2 to a 3.21 8.25", nolathane iso clamp pads, gone from a 2bbl California smog 318 to a 360 4bbl and cam with no smog. I think I have now built the car Chrysler should have built!!

IMG-20160723-WA0000.jpeg

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you.

It looks like you painted the diff, as well.
What method did you use?

Back