80 Mirada,

80mirada

Reaction score
Every 518/500 swap turns out different. Most use either a Ford or GM trans mount. Using a stock floor shifter is out for most people, but Hot Rod made it work in a roadrunner, and I have seen shifters converted to cables. Relays for each solenoid will make them, and your wiring, last longer. There have been number of ways to control the overdrive and/or lock-up. Time delay relays can be uses to get rid of gear pecking if using pressure sensors to control it automatically.

metallicaman0258

Reaction score
Every 518/500 swap turns out different. Most use either a Ford or GM trans mount. Using a stock floor shifter is out for most people, but Hot Rod made it work in a roadrunner, and I have seen shifters converted to cables. Relays for each solenoid will make them, and your wiring, last longer. There have been number of ways to control the overdrive and/or lock-up. Time delay relays can be uses to get rid of gear pecking if using pressure sensors to control it automatically.

From what I've checked out, Ill keep the 3 speed for now.

80mirada

Reaction score
Mirada 24a.jpg
Mirada 25a.jpg
Mirada 26a.jpg

A look at the completed under-hood braces.

Mirada 24a.jpg

Mirada 25a.jpg

Mirada 26a.jpg

80mirada

Reaction score
Mirada 43a.jpg

First attempt at rear mounts for the 1" rear bar. I drilled the sides wrong and had to redrill the mounting holes, the top is notched to fit next to a reinforcement. The brackets I made for the shock plates ended up being tossed in the scrap pile for a set of Firm Feel ones.

Mirada 43a.jpg

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 007.jpg

The Addco bar is a pain in the butt. I had to clearance the ends of the bar and the control arms. I also had to do some creative grinding to get the end bushings to seat against it.

Picture 006.jpg

Picture 007.jpg

80mirada

Reaction score
Mirada 42a.jpg
Picture 001.jpg

The front set of springs are a set of low mileage 5 leaf cop car springs that a local yard had on the shelf, they were still crusty. My 4 leaf springs were shot at best.

Mirada 42a.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

Last edited:

80mirada

Reaction score
Picture 017.jpg
Picture 020.jpg

I made a set of support plates for the front spring hangers, dont mind the odd holes. I then bought the Firm Feel Iso-elimination kit, with sway-bar tabs.

Picture 017.jpg

Picture 020.jpg

80mirada

Reaction score
Picture 127.jpg
Picture 128.jpg

I cut away the dust shields, but left the park brake portion. The center bore needs to be slightly enlarged, I used a grinding stone on a die grinder, and the bolt holes needed a little bit of clean up. this is such an easy swap I recommend it for everyone. The jeep I got this set from was pretty clapped out.

Picture 127.jpg

Picture 128.jpg

80mirada

Reaction score
Picture 130.jpg
Picture 131.jpg

Semi-complete rear, used 3.91 gears with a limited slip, most of the Jeep brake swap, and a 7290 yoke off a 4x4 Dakota, bolted to '85 Diplomat 5 leaf cop springs, with Firm Feel Iso-delete kit and poly bushings.

Picture 130.jpg

Picture 131.jpg

80mirada

Reaction score
Picture 133.jpg

Rear is mounted with the Addco 1" rear sway-bar, just a few days before going to storage. The first time the Mirada has been on 4 tires since we had moved in almost nine years earlier.

Picture 133.jpg

CUSEMIRADA83

Reaction score
I installed the A500 in mine about 10 years ago. Works well...It needs to be rebuilt as it was a junkyard piece that I threw in after my 904 crapped itself...Will be keeping an eye on this thread, for sure.

Back