82 mirada 360 magnum exhaust headers?

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Summit headers used to be priced pretty decently and people have used those on the past. There should be other posts around about what works and needed to make them fit.

Camtron

Reaction score
Can get a cheap set of small block headers from SummitRacing. I’ve had them on my car for years, they’re not pretty and there’s better options out there but, they shipped for like $215.
They’re just the typical pain in the ass to install.
They go in from under the car, Have to take motor mounts loose so you can raise the engine up one side at a time to get clearance to slip them in. Steering linkage goes through drivers side header so, if you need to do tie rod ends and things, it’s a good time to knock out a a couple replacement/upgrades all at once.
I’d recommended a good set of multilayer aluminum crush gaskets to get them to seal up good to the heads.

Edit; and don’t for get to tap and plug the little air injection ports on your heads.

80mirada

Reaction score
I went with the Doug's for ground clearance. They are also super easy to install or remove. Hooker, Hedman, Pacemaker and Summit are all similar in they go under the steering on the driver side. There are a ton of no brand copies of the Hookers, out there as well. There were even some stainless ones.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
There's a post here about using truck manifolds. Should be easier to find.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
This one has pics.

Camtron

Reaction score
What are the plans with the car, Pops?
I don’t want you to get discouraged from putting headers on the car if that’s what you’re after when you’re riding around town. If I was closer I’d offer to lend a hand.

mopops

Reaction score
What are the plans with the car, Pops?
I don’t want you to get discouraged from putting headers on the car if that’s what you’re after when you’re riding around town. If I was closer I’d offer to lend a hand.
gee tks had stroke an afraid to get car too far apart an leave a mess

Camtron

Reaction score
gee tks had stroke an afraid to get car too far apart an leave a mess
I totally get it.
You know what you’re capable of better than anyone and I wouldn’t want to push anyone into something that’d keep them from potentially enjoying their car.
It took me most of a weekend to get it done by myself; stripping exhaust and manifolds off the car, tapping and plugging the heads, getting headers on, replacing motor mounts, upgrading to 11/16th tie rods and a quick driveway alignment…I also did it during my wife’s “birthday weekend” thinking I’d be done with it Friday night; so she was thrilled too….

I will say, the 2 barrel and stock intake did pretty dang well with headers paired with them. Car sounded real nice, wasn’t excessively loud and the power and throttle response afterwards was perfect for what what the stock engine makes. Would hook up hard and launch without spinning the tires, no show just all go. Sounded good enough guys didn’t believe me when I told them it only had 145hp, lol

mopops

Reaction score
what would be the best factory cast iron exhaust manifolds to use?
I totally get it.
You know what you’re capable of better than anyone and I wouldn’t want to push anyone into something that’d keep them from potentially enjoying their car.
It took me most of a weekend to get it done by myself; stripping exhaust and manifolds off the car, tapping and plugging the heads, getting headers on, replacing motor mounts, upgrading to 11/16th tie rods and a quick driveway alignment…I also did it during my wife’s “birthday weekend” thinking I’d be done with it Friday night; so she was thrilled too….

I will say, the 2 barrel and stock intake did pretty dang well with headers paired with them. Car sounded real nice, wasn’t excessively loud and the power and throttle response afterwards was perfect for what what the stock engine makes. Would hook up hard and launch without spinning the tires, no show just all go. Sounded good enough guys didn’t believe me when I told them it only had 145hp, lol
tks for getting back to me

Camtron

Reaction score
what would be the best factory cast iron exhaust manifolds to use?

tks for getting back to me
If it were me, I’d say just leave what’s already there and build a nice exhaust system off it.
However there’s actually a bunch of older, conflating and missing information online due to broken websites…but the best factory cast iron options would seem to either be a set of 340HP manifolds or a set of manifolds off a 92-93 Magnum. From Mopar sources online, you’ll find that the 92-93 Magnums had a 2-1/8” outlet and ‘94 and later mags had 1-7/8” outlets; something about fixing CAT temperatures.
A few sites listed a 340hp manifold on the passenger side and a ‘92-‘93 magnum on the drivers side would actually be the best flowing factory manifold small block combination of factory iron manifolds.

Mikes5thAve

Reaction score
Some places said the 340 one on driver side because other body types there could be clearance issue with the Magnum manifold but it fits our cars with a bit of work as noted in the other post here with the pics.
The Magnum manifolds don't have the heat riser valve and that could cause problems if you're in an area with cold temps. I had to replace it on my 360 for that reason.

Camtron

Reaction score
Some places said the 340 one on driver side because other body types there could be clearance issue with the Magnum manifold but it fits our cars with a bit of work as noted in the other post here with the pics.
The Magnum manifolds don't have the heat riser valve and that could cause problems if you're in an area with cold temps. I had to replace it on my 360 for that reason.
They didn’t note anything about clearance anywhere I read, just the over all flow rates. Apparently the ‘92-‘93 drivers side magnum manifold flows better than the 340HP drivers side manifold does.

But sure, could be a clearance issue, I don’t know anyone running them on their car to know for certain.

Back