904 Kickdown - Semi early shifts no more kick-down ?

Bruceynz

Reaction score
You didn't see what I did I replied to AJ in a conversation we were having to the kick down post by mistake and to add insult to injury I did it twice, hence the opps opps

8v-of-fury

Reaction score
SO MANY OPPS'!

Oddly enough, i don't think I ever resolved this. I didnt drive the car at all for 2018, sadly. so it didnt really matter.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
For those who don't know AJ and I have been working out a killer 360 that will run on NZ pump gas and fry tires at will and be nice on the street! All will be revealed soon :)

Oldiron440

Reaction score
Friying tires isn't fast, it's just making smoke.

You need something that hooks so hard you can feel the weight of your eyeballs!

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
Friying tires isn't fast, it's just making smoke.

You need something that hooks so hard you can feel the weight of your eyeballs!
As much as I'd like to experience that, I will have to be content with my lil 367 tire frying drifter. I'm too old to grow up now, being 5 to 15 from the finish line........ if the world as we know it doesn't come crashing down first.

jasperjacko

Reaction score
The likely culprit is the angles of your modified linkage. When your linkage geometry changes, so does the range of motion.

Poly

Reaction score
Ours had the same early shifting that you describe and no kickdown, only with a holley 600. When everything was installed as it should be up at the carburetor then we loosened the adjusting bolt at the tranny lever (the transmission end of the linkage) and moved the lever and re-tightened the bolt. If memory serves, once loosened, the lever at the tranny wanted to move on its own so it may be good practice to mark where you are starting from.
Shifting to third at 18 mph is lugging the engine and could cause damage, in my opinion. Before making the adjustments it was kept in second gear around town. The whole deal was described in the factory books.

AJ/FormS

Reaction score
On the Circle of the earth, Southern Man,Canada
SO MANY OPPS'!

Oddly enough, i don't think I ever resolved this. I didnt drive the car at all for 2018, sadly. so it didnt really matter.
Well if not resolved then refer to my previous post.
BTW the 318 makes peak torque at about 2400rpm, so if it has a 2250TC which it likely should, then You don't really need to wind it up. Especially with a 2.2 or a 2.45 rear gear. I mean 4800 in second gear would be 100 mph with 2.45s, and the last 1000 rpm she's sucking thru a straw. So that is why she needs a PT KD, to step down a gear without flooring it, anytime you need a bit of power.
What that combo amounts to, is a 2-speed with a cruiser gear,direct, acting like an overdrive, with 65= 2000rpm . Crazy dumb idea, but they got away with it by keeping the 318 at or near peak torque.

Back