Advice On My 80 Volare Duster

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Hum, a spot weld. I don’t recall seeing any that way, in that year span.

I do know the 340/440 trap door (single snorkel) air cleaners, the rear vacuum motor was spot welded in.
72_340_01.jpg

72_340_02.jpg

The good news is you can drill out the weld (they make spot weld drill bits for that very reason (and I suspect Deconstructor Jim uses them as well)) and/or take a chisel and separate the two parts – just don’t get in any hurry.

Some of those vacuum motors twist on/off. Look inside of the snorkel and see if it appears that way.
BudW

Rifleshooter

Reaction score
My first question is your A230 floor shifted or column shifted?

If floor shifted, then you are set. Just need the transmission and a shifter.

If column shifted, then you will also need the transmission hump in floorpan installed (as well as finding a hump).

The column shifted column can be left in place if converting to floor shifter. You can tap the roll pin out for the shifter handle (or just leave the extra handle in place).

One last thing is the clutch disk has a different spline to it, so clutch disk will also need to be changed.

BudW
So I just purchased an a833 trans with OD for a good price, is there a specific shifter I need for it all to work properly or will anything do an my f body

shadango

Reaction score
We are tinkering and tested the flapper again, per the instructions you posted above. It drops to 10 inches at just under 2 minutes.

Also, when we apply vacuum to the sensor itself , it just sucks wind through the pipe inside the air cleaner. Put your finger over it and it builds some vacuum but drops much quicker than the flapper test alone.

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, when we apply vacuum to the sensor itself , it just sucks wind through the pipe inside the air cleaner.
When car is above a certain temperature, it will do that.

10’ F the heater door vacuum actuator has full vacuum.
Above 15’ F that vacuum actuator has no vacuum.
Between 10’ to 15’ F it has partial vacuum.

Might not be easy to test – unless you have some cold nights ahead of you.

Maybe take air cleaner off and wrap in plastic cling wrap (or something) and secretly place in your freezer (if you get caught – don’t be tossing my name around, or give me fair warning so I can get out of town . . . ), then test once unit is cold.

I never did understand why that cold. I would think 30’ F (or warmer) makes more sense – to prevent carburetor icing.
BudW

shadango

Reaction score
When car is above a certain temperature, it will do that.

10’ F the heater door vacuum actuator has full vacuum.
Above 15’ F that vacuum actuator has no vacuum.
Between 10’ to 15’ F it has partial vacuum.

<snip>
I never did understand why that cold. I would think 30’ F (or warmer) makes more sense – to prevent carburetor icing.
BudW

Well the car was in the garage...70 ish degrees.

So at any temps above 15 or 20 the flapper wont even work to begin with?

If thats the case, not gonna worry about it much then. We dont get a ton of sub 20 days even in winter. And the ones we did have, seemed like we made it through OK starting it. A little longer time spent warming it up.

Makes ya wonder what the point of the whole system is then unless you live in Alasaka...LOL

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes ya wonder what the point of the whole system is then unless you live in Alaska...LOL
There are a lot of things I don’t understand why Chrysler did what they did (or other car manufacturers, as well).

I do know a lot of thought went into a many aspects of these cars and some things I’m still learning about – thinking wow that was a brilliant idea.

It defies logic though, on the temp matter.

Live in South Florida or South Texas, you could remove the heat stove and other items and no one would ever know the difference – until you drove over the Rocky Mountains in the winter time, that is.

It would be my luck, I would remove said items, and then my job would have me transferred to Alaska . . .

Oklahoma does have a few days that linger at/below 0’ F (as well as several days that exceed 105’ F) – so we get both extremes. About an hour’s drive from me, yesterday (on March 20), it was 96’F . . . in March!
BudW

Back