Aftermarket Tachometer

Interior and Electrical

1. 88_AHB

88_AHB Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    Was curious to see where everyone is mounting/ positioning their aftermarket tachs. Trying to get some ideas without putting holes in the a-pillar or dashpad. Thanks

2. Raff

Raff Well-Known Member

9401D1EE-CE29-4395-9236-6A7ABAFD3FC3.jpeg Small AutoMeter 2 5/8 inch tach

barbee6043 likes this.
  3. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

On my Fbody I removed the top pad and made a strap that mounted on the sheet metal and came out under the pad my tack mount is part of that. Tack is higher than pad but not mounted on the pad.

4. XfbodyX

XfbodyX Well-Known Member

You can use the dash pad screw in the pic below to mount a bracket. Anymore if I didnt use a tach to help with a incorrect speedo which I dont I dont even waste space or money on a tach but rather simply a tiny rpm controlled shift light.

For many street engines that are limited by one or more factors, cam, intake, exhaust its very easy to tell by engine tone or just simply feeling it about to nose over then shift. I raced many years 1/8 mile with a streeter with no tach just going by the speedo for consistency.

9401D1EE-CE29-4395-9236-6A7ABAFD3FC3.jpeg

5. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

I did the same thing back in the day but when the power level went up so did the rpm. You start watching a little closer when you're turning a 440 7200+.

6. 88_AHB

88_AHB Well-Known Member

Raff is yours mounted to the column? or to the gauge trim? My M body's gauge placement is a bit different than a F body but, the screw thats pointed out is similar place to mine.There's a few spots i could use where the pad meets the metal underneath that's exposed and has a few screws/bolts attaching the trim bezel or the inner gauge housing area.Two possibilities of those holes is right in front of either side vents in which i'd hate to block air flow.I also have a tilt column so itd be hard to attach it to that.

7. MBDale

MBDale Well-Known Member

I’ve got a Autometer Sport Comp tach mounted on the steering column via large hose clamps.

barbee6043 likes this.
  8. Raff

Raff Well-Known Member

Just one large hose clamp around the column.

9. Darth-Car

Darth-Car Well-Known Member

I especially like the extra gauges in the radio location. They really look like they belong there. I just don't think I could get by without the tunes.

10. 89.Fifth

89.Fifth Well-Known Member

The dash is metal so you could do a strong neodymium magnet with a little felt over it.

11. Raff

Raff Well-Known Member

Factory radio was gone so that was a good spot and no damage done to the dash. As for music a good Bluetooth speaker paired to my phone or iPod gives decent sound and it can be moved between cars.

12. ch1ll

ch1ll Active Member

I got an adjustable shift light from jegs real cheap. I made a bracket that mounts it to the rear view mirror with a wing nut. it takes 30 seconds to mount/dismount. I just put it into the ash tray when not using it. its too hard to miss seeing it go on and you never have to take your eyes off the road/track.

BudW, MBDale and 88_AHB like this.
  13. Greg55_99

Greg55_99 Well-Known Member

There's mine. Sun Super Tach circa 1978.

Greg

F_Body_train_wreck_4.jpg

Raff likes this.
  14. BudW

BudW Moderator Staff Member

I like the idea of the rear view mirror as an attachment point – but I do caution about the mirror buttons (the part that glues onto the windshield) can (and will) come unglued. When that happens, you are now in a situation of not having a rear view mirror - until you reattach it.
    BudW

15. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

I've got mine mounted to the A pillar via a bracket I made out of aluminum flat stock. Used an existing screw, but did have to drill a second hole.

The best setup I've seen is @Diplomat360 setup. He made a bracket that screws into the metal dash right behind the dash pad. I've still got the template he made. Maybe he'll chime in with photos of the install.

20190525_130505.jpg

20190525_131106.jpg

20190525_131120.jpg