Annoying Clonk

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My car has an annoying clonk, I will try my best to explain, you can't hear it but you can feel it, if you have left foot flat on the floor you can feel it, I have looked and I can't find anything, when car was on hoist the other week I had the exhaust shop tweak the exhaust to pull it further way from the drive shaft. Still does it. If you go from reverse to drive it doesn't do it, if you stop at set of lights and take off, a small clonk, the drive chain is loaded up being in gear so I assume its not drive train, can the steering box or anything hit something when the engine twist a little on take off? My car has a 360 mag fitted. Don't think it is ear end, as no clonk from reverse to drive.

Thanks
Bruce

Davesmopar

Reaction score
I doubt this is it, but make sure your wheels are not shifting forward/rearward (caster type movement) in the front wheel well.. basically take off and hit your brakes real quick and then take off and hit your brakes again and have somebody watch your front wheels and see if they're shifting.... (moving front/back).... it's possible your control arm bushings could be worn out, and or bolts have loosened.

Also make sure your outer brake pads are tight in the calipers, normally have tabs that you have to bend, they will shift and make noise if they're not tight......

Bruceynz

Reaction score
good things to check! I never thought the pads could do it! but makes sense! Upper control arms are new!

Last edited:

BudW

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a broken transmission mount on my car that makes a similar noise (that I need to fix). I would think you had your transmission/engine mounts replaced already, so if you did, you might double check bolt tightness to pretty much all fasteners under the car (including the transmission crossmember to frame).

Might have to take car back to a shop with a rack. Have someone inside of car trying to duplicate how you drive (but car is in air) and someone under car checking for “part movement”. Just try to prevent excessive tire rotation.

It sounds like something from engine to leaf springs is moving excessively (or a combination of things) when under a WOT take-off. A person can be surprised on how much things move about, in that condition.
BudW

Trey

Reaction score
My car had a similar sound in it when I got it, although it was when I shifted from Park to Drive or Reverse at idle. Going into reverse was really bad. I thought it was transmission related but it turned out it was the exhaust. There is a bracket that supports the exhaust that is attached to the trans. There is also a joint in the factory exhaust at the same spot where the converter is attached. That joint had come loose and there was enough slop in the trans mount to allow movement that made the loose exhaust joint pop when going in gear. Like Bud said, a little time on a rack could make the problem reveal itself. Post up if you find the problem and good luck with it.

Bruceynz

Reaction score
Hello, no updates but weird thing is when driving the other day I did not notice the clonk!! It's been doing it for ages, I did have another muffler put in the back and the guy said the mounts were sloppy and he made it all tight, but sure it was still doing it after that! I need to get it on a hoist!

Back