1. Oldiron440

Oldiron440 Well-Known Member

There should be a vent hose that goes up the body, sometimes it gets left off or there is a cap with vent holes on the axle and sometimes that's missing this will allow water in the diff.

2. MoparDan

MoparDan Well-Known Member

The whole thing was under water during the hurricane, even the interior was soaked I'm not sure how long but it was aleast a few hours

3. MoparDan

I went though my service records and heres what I could find about the differential:

May 5, 2015: new pinion bearing and seal, 165,008 miles

June 2, 2015: all new bearings and seals, 168,283 miles (though I think I recall there was one bearing that either we couldn't find, or was out of stock)

December 6, 2017: new fluid, cleaned cover and hardwear, 190,322 miles (this was after it was under water during the hurricane)

December 12, 2018: added fluid, 195,447 miles

I know the fuild was changed a few times before any of this, and I believe the axle seals were replaced sometime in 2012, unfortunately all my service records before May 4 ,2015 were destroyed in a hotel fire this past July...

4. MoparDan

The U-joints were done some time in 2014 so they're not super old, is there a way to check them?

5. Duke5A

Duke5A Well-Known Member

Get under the car and grab the driveshaft with both hands and push up and down - you're looking for play. Do this at both ends.

Bad u-joints typically howl the clunk when you put your foot into the gas pedal.

6. Miradaman

Miradaman Active Member

I would just find a replacement axle at the nearest salvage yard. I had to swap out several in my old Miranda. The first one the spider gears went bad. I bought a junkyard 8 1/4 for $75 and just bolted it in. Later I changed to a Sure Grip 2.94 out of a cop car. Pretty easy to change.